• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's undoubtedly true.

If someone had made a strong case for him being included in this poll, he would have been. I asked several times for someone to make that case and no one did.

I thought that I did to be honest. To have VdV in the poll and not Bale isn't right imo, Bale was a far superior number 10 for us than VdV.

Bale should be in the poll. He commanded a world record fee on the strength of his performances for us in the number 10 position.

I'll still probably vote for him on the left, mind you.

His proper position for us was just as much number 10 as left wing. I remember when some of our fans thought they knew better and chanted "he playyyyyyyys on the lefffftttt" and this was when Harry was in charge and first tried him in different positions.

Why would you want to dismiss the best ever season of one of our best ever players?

Having already explained why I narrowed my choice to Peters, White and Sheringham, I've listened to some of the comments and voted for Gilzean. He was in the team I became a fan with, along with Chivers. This was the second great partnership he formed at Spurs, but if the Greaves one was equal or, as most accounts suggest, better then it must have been special. The ability to form two great partnerships suggests the success was down to more than him being lucky with teammates.

Gilzean also fits with the players being identified as Spursman. Peters is more identified with West Ham and England, whereas Sheringhams greatest successes came elsewhere. This doesn't diminish their achievements with Spurs, but it does make them less Spursmen. Others such as Perryman, Mabbutt, King, Knowles, Mackay, Hoddle, and Jones are first and foremost associated with Spurs. Even Jennings, who spent many years elsewhere in north London, is mainly considered a Spursman. I might ignore this rule when considering the next category, but will remember it for the centre forward and manager..

Having already explained why I narrowed my choice to Peters, White and Sheringham, I've listened to some of the comments and voted for Gilzean. He was in the team I became a fan with, along with Chivers. This was the second great partnership he formed at Spurs, but if the Greaves one was equal or, as most accounts suggest, better then it must have been special. The ability to form two great partnerships suggests the success was down to more than him being lucky with teammates.

Gilzean also fits with the players being identified as Spursman. Peters is more identified with West Ham and England, whereas Sheringhams greatest successes came elsewhere. This doesn't diminish their achievements with Spurs, but it does make them less Spursmen. Others such as Perryman, Mabbutt, King, Knowles, Mackay, Hoddle, and Jones are first and foremost associated with Spurs. Even Jennings, who spent many years elsewhere in north London, is mainly considered a Spursman. I might ignore this rule when considering the next category, but will remember it for the centre forward and manager..

Gilly was a great player and he was the one the song was sung for first " born is the king of WHL", he had this swagger about him and his heading ability was second to none. I will always remember seeing his first game for us after signing ( Everton if my memory serves me right), there was a guy sat in front of me who after seeing Gilly flick the ball into space a few times announced to the world " he can not even head the ball to a player " ( yep we even had brain dead fans in those days as well).

The truth is of course he was heading it into space for players to run onto and as soon as Greaves sussed it out yhey became a lethal partnership. As for your point about his partnership with Chivers then you are spot on and it was also one of the best.
Chivers ( imo) was for 18 months one of the best CF's in Europe but injurys caught up with him and he struggled after that, but he was majestic during those 18 months and I will never forget him winning us the Lge Cup against Villa ( who at the time were 3rd Div) basically on his own with two goals. And of course before Defoe bettered it Chiv was our all time top scorer in Europe.

this is one area for spurs its about style and substance, but with style edging it. Gaza for me.

On his day, pure magic- first touch, instinct, passion, volley, dead ball, header, left foot/right foot - he had it all.

this is one area for spurs its about style and substance, but with style edging it. Gaza for me.

On his day, pure magic- first touch, instinct, passion, volley, dead ball, header, left foot/right foot - he had it all.

The first Spurs game i ever went to was the Oxford Utd 4-2 in that FA Cup winning year. That Gazza free kick against Arse is still probably the greatest Spurs memory I have. 1991 was a great year for us.

The first Spurs game i ever went to was the Oxford Utd 4-2 in that FA Cup winning year. That Gazza free kick against Arse is still probably the greatest Spurs memory I have. 1991 was a great year for us.
For sheer power, for pace, accuracy, distance, impudence, drama and above all shock value, and all that against our worst enemies who were flying high and favourites in the SF of the FA Cup at Wembley, for all these reasons it is without a shadow of doubt the greatest free kick ever.

Back