• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gascoigne only played this role in his last few months for us. For most of his time with us he was a CM in a 4-4-2 alongside Howells/Samways/Nayim, while Stewart or Walsh played in the hole behind Lineker.

It was only during 90/91 that we switched to 4-5-1, with Stewart converting to DM, and Gascoigne being given more licence to get up closest to Lineker.

If he was playing in the modern game, it is where he would be played. I think that we have to give a little licence here because we have chosen a modern formation in order to allow us to fit more attacking players in.

This was where I was going to pick Hoddle, now I get to pick someone I wouldn't have otherwise. Here are some random thoughts and comments in no particular order.

Gazza - clearly an option, although we could ask if Hoddle and Gazza makes the best team and if we should have more of a goalscorer.

Sheringham - our standout second striker of recent times.

Peters - competes with Sheringham or a candidate on the left.

White - creative force and second striker, but cruelly I must ask did he play long enough? Edit: 221 competitive games (link), so absolutely. Unfortunately this shows how little I know about him. I had no idea he played as long.

Gilzean - second striker or centre forward? I'm leaning towards the latter, although then we might need to consider Greaves here.

Bale - played in the centre for us at the end, but not for that long. I see him in a free role on the left with Jones given a similar remit on the right. Both can go wide and come inside.

Van der Vaart - certainly a standout recently but I don't think he played for us long enough and there was enough criticism about him going missing that I don't think he makes this team. Now if he had stayed ...

Last edited:
It's where Hoddle should be but he's already in.

John White would be an excellent (and will probably be ther most popular choice) but it has to be Gazza for me.

Disagree with that bit about Hoddle, most of the gaols scored by Archi, Crooks, Allen etc came from those brilliant long passes from deep by Hoddle, have to agree with Scara on this ( not often I say that :)) Hoddle was always best when playing and coming from deep.

I was thinking about the players with the most appearances and how they are doing in our deliberations. Here are the players with over 400 games for us (according to wikipedia):

Steve Perryman 854
Gary Mabbutt 611
Pat Jennings 590
Cliff Jones 578

Tom Morris 523
Cyril Knowles 506
Glenn Hoddle 490

Ted Ditchburn 452
Alan Gilzean 439
Jimmy Dimmock 438
Phil Beal 420
John Pratt 415
Maurice Norman 411

The bolded ones are those selected and we have six of the top seven. Tom Morris played from 1899-1912 so there is no one alive who can assess him. Ditchburn and Norman were kept out of the team by players above them on the list. Beal, Dimmock and Gilzean have been mentioned, but no one said anything about John Pratt.

Last edited:
Disagree with that bit about Hoddle, most of the gaols scored by Archi, Crooks, Allen etc came from those brilliant long passes from deep by Hoddle, have to agree with Scara on this ( not often I say that :)) Hoddle was always best when playing and coming from deep.

it's a free role, nothing stopping him dropping deep

it's moot as he's in the team already

@scaramanga

If he was playing in the modern game, it is where he would be played. I think that we have to give a little licence here because we have chosen a modern formation in order to allow us to fit more attacking players in.

Not really been getting involved in these discussions as there are just so many players I've never seen (anything pre '91 cup final essentially).

Could be a decent chance that Gazza could have ended up playing wide in a modern formation. Gazza - Hoddle - Bale with Gazza and Bale as "inverted wingers" looks pretty super awesome to me.

Gascoigne only played this role in his last few months for us. For most of his time with us he was a CM in a 4-4-2 alongside Howells/Samways/Nayim, while Stewart or Walsh played in the hole behind Lineker.
That's certainly informative, but since someone decided that Gazza wasn't to be included in the vote for a cm, he has to be included somewhere.

Could be a decent chance that Gazza could have ended up playing wide in a modern formation. Gazza - Hoddle - Bale with Gazza and Bale as "inverted wingers" looks pretty super awesome to me.

Or Hoddle wide on the right (R AM) where he would have a bit more freedom and space to run at the defence and make long diagonal passes, where Peters would be ghosting in on the left at the back of the box or Bale powering in.

I think we have to remember that these are all extremely talented players and could be flexible. Hoddle played deep and on the right for us before playing the '#10 under Wenger. Jones played left and right wing as well as inside left. Bale played left and central.

Being a football purist, Hoddle, Gazza, Bale as creative forces behind Greavescwould be just awesome.

With Hoddle already in the team, it just hazza be Gazza here.

Alf Ramsay said that Martin Peters was a player ahead of his time and he was right. However, I cannot go past the canny Scot, so it's Gilzean for me. His aerial play was something to behold. He could play when the ball was on the carpet too mind.

Last edited:
That ship has sailed. Who are you going to pick given the available players?
Blanchflower, and tell him and Hoddle to be fluid.

I think Sheringham would be the most effective, more goals than Gazza, great brain awareness vision skill strike cheekbones Ferrari record

Back