• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've had this discussion with most positions and I am sure that there will be a similar one when it comes to LW.

The question I would ask is what has Bale done for Spurs to make him worth picking above players who played in the position for longer?

Well he single-handedly fired us to err 5th. The same err position that we always finish...

Gascoigne at least finished the job - taking us to cup glory and 3rd (our joint highest finish since 1963)

00968-mainmedimage.jpg

Well he single-handedly fired us to err 5th. The same err position that we always finish...

Gascoigne at least finished the job - taking us to cup glory and 3rd (our joint highest finish since 1963)
Oh but did he really? Err ... well if we are going to rely on selective memory and overlook the fact Bale not only played a major part in getting us into the CL but also that glorious run into the knock-out stages, then no, not quite. Seeing as how Paul recklessly got himself injured and subbed off early on in that '91 final thereby putting the outcome at risk, relying on the rest of the team to magnificently finish the job without him.

But why let such minor details get in the way of a good piece of spin?

Oh but did he really? Err ... well if we are going to rely on selective memory and overlook the fact Bale not only played a major part in getting us into the CL but also that glorious run into the knock-out stages, then no, not quite. Seeing as how Paul recklessly got himself injured and subbed off early on in that '91 final thereby putting the outcome at risk, relying on the rest of the team to magnificently finish the job without him.

gary charles was always their danger man, nobbling him from the off was a move of tactical genius, once his head was gone the game was a formality

o_O

Let's focus on this position and Bale's claim for a place on the short list. Should he be considered amongst our best #10s of all time?

Let's focus on this position and Bale's claim for a place on the short list. Should he be considered amongst our best #10s of all time?
In short, no, because Bale's contribution specifically from that position was relatively short. We have already eliminated other outstanding players (eg Richard Gough at CB) for the same reason.

Also because we have so many outstanding alternatives for AM so imo it makes more sense to nominate him only for a berth on the left of mid.

if you put it like that, I'd have to say no

it's not the question that we've asked at every position though to be fair

if the question is, was he an exceptional player and did he play in that position for us? then it's another matter

going back through the thread, the stand out unmentioned names for me are Stokes and Harmer
Oh yes, Harmer the Charmer, the original lightweight and football conjurer, an exceptional talent who got bombed out because he was deemed not tough enough. Tragic.

Whilst we're at it I don't recall any mention of Johnny Brooks either, an inside forward who like Alfie Stokes went on a brief scoring spree in the mid-50s that helped us into third spot and runners-up in the top flight and got him into the England team at a time when you had to be damned good just to get a sniff, nor of Micky Hazard, another lightweight talent who in the shadow of Ghod was considered too expensive a luxury, though he too like Tommy H was also the darling of the crowd.

Look at the 8 already selected
GK - Jennings
RB - Perryman
CB - King
CB - Mabbutt
LB - Knowles
CM - Hoddle
CM - Mackay
RWF - Jones

They are all Spurs. They will all be remembered as Spurs players by the world of football and at their peak played for Spurs.

VdV will be remembered as an Ajax/Hamburg player and maybe by some as that guy who hit his wife and went off with his best mates ex.
Your mate Sol who you voted for as best Spurs centre half will be remember as Gooner Scum.

Then this list is not being picked on talent alone ... Sol Campbell is one of the best Spurs defenders to wear the shirt - his traitorous behaviour will not lead me to not admit that. If the list is not built on talent alone but on people's perception of how loyal they were then y'all should continue.

In short, no, because Bale's contribution specifically from that position was relatively short. We have already eliminated other outstanding players (eg Richard Gough at CB) for the same reason.

Also because we have so many outstanding alternatives for AM so imo it makes more sense to nominate him only for a berth on the left of mid.
Agree with this. I too would have voted for Gough in preference to Mabbutt for the centre half position but he was not included in the short list as he only played for one season. As the total games for Bale in the number 10 position will barely be equivalent to one season I suggest he should also be excluded on this basis.

Then this list is not being picked on talent alone ... Sol Campbell is one of the best Spurs defenders to wear the shirt - his traitorous behaviour will not lead me to not admit that. If the list is not built on talent alone but on people's perception of how loyal they were then y'all should continue.

People can vote how they want. There have been lots of discussions around the different criteria that people use to make their choices. I think not voting for someone because they treated the club and fans like clams is completely valid.

People are clearly voting on a variety of factors. Which is perfectly acceptable. It's obviously not just loyalty (otherwise we'd have John Pratt ahead of Mackay). It's the perceived greatness as a Spurs player. And you can't be a "great Spurs player" if you left the fans feeling as furious as Sol Campbell did.

People are clearly voting on a variety of factors. Which is perfectly acceptable. It's obviously not just loyalty (otherwise we'd have John Pratt ahead of Mackay). It's the perceived greatness as a Spurs player. And you can't be a "great Spurs player" if you left the fans feeling as furious as Sol Campbell did.
I don't think he was better than Mabbutt or King anyway. He'd probably be in third place but wouldn't have made the team IMO.

I don't think he was better than Mabbutt or King anyway. He'd probably be in third place but wouldn't have made the team IMO.
Oh, I completely agree with you on that. I was just pointing out that if people were voting purely in terms of club loyalty then he'd be a shoe-in ahead of Mackay, as he spent pretty much his entire career at Spurs if I recall.

Oh, I completely agree with you on that. I was just pointing out that if people were voting purely in terms of club loyalty then he'd be a shoe-in ahead of Mackay, as he spent pretty much his entire career at Spurs if I recall.
I meant clambell ;)

Right. Anyone want to make a case for Bale being included in this poll? As it stands, he's out, you've got until I get home to convince me otherwise.

Back