• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've already mentioned my love of him and Crooks...

People say Archie was a bit of a recluse or at least socially awkward. Did you think that?

Not sure about that but he was single minded and he and KB ( typical blunt Yorkie) had a few runs ins and fall outs, or so the storys suggested at the time.

I've already mentioned my love of him and Crooks...

People say Archie was a bit of a recluse or at least socially awkward. Did you think that?
My uncle knew him and I met him round his house a handful of times. He gave the impression of being quite a serious person. But not unusually so. Definitely wasn't socially awkward the times I met him and didn't come across as reclusive. He'd have a chat and a laugh along with everyone else at my uncle's get-togethers (though I don't ever remember him still being there at 2am for the singing... but the place always thinned out a bit by that point). And as I say, he was always happy to talk about the Spurs years which was a bonus from my perspective.

I've totted up your votes and we've got Archibald, Duquemin and Klinnsman fighting over the final place on the ten man shortlist. Who should it be? I'll give it a couple of hours and go with whoever makes the best argument (or failing that, the most noise).

Anyone want to make a case for Duquemin or Klinnsman?

Klinsman's two stints at WHL may have been relatively short-lived but wow, what a massive impact they both had on our fortunes. First time round he was a sensation from the word go with that celebrated dive-in on his debut, but arguably even more so the second time around, a rescue-mission that became mission-accomplished when he pretty much guaranteed our top-flight survival towards the end of the season, scoring four in our 6-2 away mauling of Wimbledon.

I get why people are sceptical but the German was not just world-class, he also had massive charisma that rubbed off on the club in a positive way. For me that comfortably overrides the brevity of his two stays, so I'd have him in on the grounds he had a better strike rate* than either Archibald or Duquemin.

*Edited.

Klinsman's two stints at WHL may have been relatively short-lived but wow, what a massive impact they both had on our fortunes. First time round he was a sensation from the word go with that celebrated dive-in on his debut, but arguably even more so the second time around, a rescue-mission that became mission-accomplished when he pretty much guaranteed our top-flight survival towards the end of the season, scoring four in our 6-2 away mauling of Wimbledon.

I get why people are sceptical but the German was not just world-class, he also had massive charisma that rubbed off on the club in a positive way. For me that comfortably overrides the brevity of his two stays, so I'd have him in on the grounds he had a better strike rate* than either Archibald or Duquemin.

*Edited.

Thanks. It's hard to deny his impact and charisma. I loved watching Jurgen but I am going to go with the majority and Archibald is the last man on the short list.

Cant' believe Defoe made the short-list when he never once established himself as first choice.

We are not voting on the size of his feet ;) our 5th highest goal scorer of all time on 143 goals and our highest in Europe with 23 goals. I know you do not rate him but that is just vindictive.

We are not voting on the size of his feet ;) our 5th highest goal scorer of all time on 143 goals and our highest in Europe with 23 goals. I know you do not rate him but that is just vindictive.

There's a difference between long service and quality. Just coming off the bench for a decade isn't really criteria for inclusion in a 'best ever'

I never saw him but it baffles me how a man who scored 49 goals in a season is not in our top 10 shortlist.

Or are we just that good? ;)

I watched the last season of his professional sporting career, he started shooting from miles out and kept hitting it way over the bar

defoe was (is?) a decent player, no more than that, you can't really make a straight comparison solely with stats bearing in mind that there wasn't a flat track european competition for Chivers or Archibald to play in

defoe was (is?) a decent player, no more than that, you can't really make a straight comparison solely with stats bearing in mind that there wasn't a flat track european competition for Chivers or Archibald to play in

Not getting into a big debate about this but check out who Chivers scored his Europe goals against, they were pretty much scored against the same type of opponents. There was 5 scored against those Europeon heavyweights Lyn Oslo for starters.

Not getting into a big debate about this but check out who Chivers scored his Europe goals against, they were pretty much scored against the same type of opponents. There was 5 scored against those Europeon heavyweights Lyn Oslo for starters.

the relative quality of all continental sides was higher back then, imo, they had all won something, Lyn Oslo may not be much now but comparatively they would have been a tougher game than FC Pigfarmer who qualified for the EL because their chairman's wife won a croquet tournament, add in the difficulties with travel, accommodation, facilities and food, which were unquestionably a greater issue back then, and the land really doesn't look that level (to me at least), there is a reason away goals used to be so highly regarded and now seem a little silly

lets not forget that they scored 3 against us in the first leg by the way, if they were good enough to put 3 past that Spurs side they must have been handy, United were the only side to better that that year

the relative quality of all continental sides was higher back then, imo, they had all won something, Lyn Oslo may not be much now but comparatively they would have been a tougher game than FC Pigfarmer who qualified for the EL because their chairman's wife won a croquet tournament, add in the difficulties with travel, accommodation, facilities and food, which were unquestionably a greater issue back then, and the land really doesn't look that level (to me at least), there is a reason away goals used to be so highly regarded and now seem a little silly

lets not forget that they scored 3 against us in the first leg by the way, if they were good enough to put 3 past that Spurs side they must have been handy, United were the only side to better that that year

As I said above I am not getting into a debate about this, just lets agree to disagree.

Back