• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This ( for me) is the hardest choice of them all.:eek:

Agreed. This is why I quite liked picking one striker, it was easy. The second is very difficult.

I've voted for Gilzean. When I first started watching Spurs, he and Chivers were the two strikers, although as a child I was confused by the number Gilzean wore as the newspapers still reported to classic 1-11 teams. Before the discussions I would probably have picked Chivers, but after reading the comments here I've been persuaded. So congratulations to those putting in a good word for Gilzean, you've caused someone on the internet to change their mind.

Klinsmann would be the next choice for me but mysteriously he is not included in the options. so a choice between Chivers and Gilzean and would narrowly go for Chivers

I enjoyed watching Berbatov as much as the next Spurs fan. The phrase "silky smooth skills" seems made for him. But there's at least four on that list I'd vote ahead of him - maybe more. For me, he was frustrating to watch almost as often as he was thrilling. I loved having him at the club at the time - because frankly we didn't have a huge amount of skill in the team then - but even his front-line partner at the time was a far better overall striker in my view.

If he wins this poll it'll be the first one of these that I'll feel the collective got completely wrong. In the other polls, even when a player I didn't vote for was the winner, I could see the reasoning. But Berbatov, second only to Greaves? The board's having a laugh!

After reading the number#10 thread, I've decided to vote for Gilzean in this one. I think he deserves the backup striker spot.

Spurs league seasons for Berbatov: 33 games, 12 goals. 36 games, 15 goals. Harry Kane has already surpassed Berbatov and should be on the list ahead of him, frankly.

Chivers and Smith are in a class of their own IMO. Gilzean too, but he's more a 10 than a 9. Lineker not far off

Chivers gets my vote.

I find it interesting that people can vote for players no matter the way they exited the club. For me a Tottenham all time XI is not just about their ability, but also their time at Spurs, how the conducted themselves and how we see them in our eyes as supporters.

Examples here are Klinnsman who I thought jumped ship as soon as he had a good season and buggered off to Bayern. And Berbatov who held us to ransom not playing then hanging around Old Trafford until he got his move. For me no matter the player that they was makes them tainted in my eyes. And so I can not vote for them no matter if they were Pele in a Spurs shirt. To be in all time XI they should be able to be amazing players who also left with dignity.

The Kane argument though holds true. If Klinssman can be considered after just 56 games, And Berbatov after 70 games then Harry after 68 has to be in the mix.

Klinsmann was one of the best forwards in the game at the time he signed for us, i don't begrudge him his move to Bayern - i seem to recall Sugar pulling the wool over his eyes about our standing at the time? Anyway he came back to help us avoid relegation so that wipes out him leaving in my book - plus i loved him when i was a kid

Agreed, Berbatov winning would be a travesty. Although Lineker has the edge now, his case isn't much better. It seems Chivers and Gilzean are splitting the older vote. Incidentally, Sheringham shouldn't be there as he is already in the squad.

A few numbers from the Wikipedia list of Spurs players:

Player Appearances/Goals (goals per game)

Clive Allen 135 /84 (0.622)
Gary Lineker 106/67 (0.632)
Harry Kane* 100/47 (0.470)
Dimitar Berbatov 101/46 (0.455)
Emmanuel Adebayor 106/41 (0.387)
Jurgen Klinsmann 68/38 (0.559)
Roman Pavlyuchenko 103/38 (0.369)

* might not include recent games

Back