• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jimmy Greaves
Bobby Smith
Martin Chivers
Jermain Defoe
Alan Gilzean
Teddy Sheringham
Robbie Keane
Gary Lineker
Jurgen Klinnsman

Jimmy Greaves
Bobby Smith
Martin Chivers
George Hunt
Len Duquemin
Alan Gilzean
Teddy Sheringham
Jurgen Klinnsman
Vivian Woodward
Dimitar Berbatov

May go for a sentimental vote and choose Lineker, as irrespective of Spurs being my local club, he was the reason I started supporting the club. But it's going to be Greaves, shirley?

If I Was choosing a Striker I have seen live it would be Lineker. He was by far the best finisher I have ever seen in a spurs shirt. He knew exactly how to finish from all sorts of angles. In a prolific side he would have bagged a ton. But Greaves had it all so its going to be him by a long chalk.

Greaves
Chivers
Sheringham
Berby
Smith
Defoe
Gilly
Lineker
Keane
Archibald

I pinched these from the 'old' boy above.............

Jimmy Greaves
Bobby Smith
Martin Chivers
George Hunt
Len Duquemin
Alan Gilzean
Teddy Sheringham
Jurgen Klinnsman
Vivian Woodward
Dimitar Berbatov
Despite being the spearhead of the push-and-run side I doubt anyone would ever claim Duquemin was prolific scoring-wise. Indeed there were several in that great side who either matched or even outscored him. So unless loyalty is considered paramount (in which case what price Berbatov?) I'd probably have Robbie Keane in ahead of Len The Duke.

With a team full of these forwards we would score enough goals to make defenders redundant!!!!!

Maybe we should have opted for the old style 2-3-5 formation to accommodate all our great forwards and wingers.

Berbatov was a great player, but didn't he refuse to play in a game for us? Helped contribute to the chaos under Ramos, 2 points from 8 games and all that? If so, I don't think he deserves any votes.

Berbatov was a great player, but didn't he refuse to play in a game for us? Helped contribute to the chaos under Ramos, 2 points from 8 games and all that? If so, I don't think he deserves any votes.

Agreed. He ruined whatever legacy he had created by being a complete tosser at the end.

I've totted up your votes and we've got Archibald, Duquemin and Klinnsman fighting over the final place on the ten man shortlist. Who should it be? I'll give it a couple of hours and go with whoever makes the best argument (or failing that, the most noise).

I've totted up your votes and we've got Archibald, Duquemin and Klinnsman fighting over the final place on the ten man shortlist. Who should it be? I'll give it a couple of hours and go with whoever makes the best argument (or failing that, the most noise).
Of those three, I'd put Archibald into the poll. He's often overlooked when people talk of Spurs strikers of the past, but I definitely think he merits a place in the top 10 of the past 50 years or so. His "almost 1 in 2" goal tally isn't too shabby, but he made almost as many as he scored for that great cup-winning side of the early 80s.

Also, I ended up meeting him a few times (in the 1990s, long after he'd left the club) and he was always a gent, and happy to reminisce about his time at Tottenham*.

* Not that that qualifies him as a great striker; just saying.

Would be Archibald for me as well the partnership between him and Crooks was as good as any, he was a great line leader and 131 lge goals and he also assisted on many. After he left here he won La Liga with Barca and also made the Champs lge final.

Of those three, I'd put Archibald into the poll. He's often overlooked when people talk of Spurs strikers of the past, but I definitely think he merits a place in the top 10 of the past 50 years or so. His "almost 1 in 2" goal tally isn't too shabby, but he made almost as many as he scored for that great cup-winning side of the early 80s.

Also, I ended up meeting him a few times (in the 1990s, long after he'd left the club) and he was always a gent, and happy to reminisce about his time at Tottenham*.

* Not that that qualifies him as a great striker; just saying.

I've already mentioned my love of him and Crooks...

People say Archie was a bit of a recluse or at least socially awkward. Did you think that?

Back