• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
booth_andy.jpg

6a00e5521030508834017743cc81ec970d-pi

rory-allen1.jpg

14417-zoom.jpg

A real golden era for us

Using my criteria again of being a player that was worth the admission money alone my short list would be Greaves, Gilzean, Chivers, Klinsmann, Lineker and Berbatov, with Smith and Teddy also worthy of mention.

It has to be Greaves though. One of my earliest memories is of Greaves dribbling around 4 or 5 Manchester United players before slotting the ball home in a 5-1 home win and then repeating the feat a few home games later against Leicester. There is a great photo of Greaves putting the ball in the net with a number of Leicester players, including Shilton I believe, on the floor. Have been searching for the photo on the internet but have not been able to find.

Little feet allow a player to strike the ball cleanly? Where did you get that one from?

His shift and shoot policy is extremely hard to defend against, in Defoe's case it was successful because he seemed to require such little backlift to generate power that the defender couldn't get himself set to make the block quickly enough. Defoe was also two footed so could shift and shoot either way.

I think it is extremely unfair to say that Defoe didn't have intelligent movement. You don't score as many goals as Defoe has throughout his career without having intelligent movement.

I think it is churlish to suggest that any player who scored goals at the rate Defoe did for us is 'overrated'. He may not have had Keane's versatility of playing 9 or 10 and perhaps was at that level of player just below Robbie Keane, but he was a very good goalscorer and the fact that he is still doing the business despite being well past his best is testament to this. I doubt the likes of Son or N'Jie will ever get anywhere near to Defoe's tally for us, even if they stay at the club for the same number of years that Defoe was here.

As an aside here GB - what shoe size is Jermaine Defoe?.... What counts as having "little feet" these days?!?

The little feet thing comes from King's autobiography. Apparently it was something they analysed/talked about quite a bit. He could just get more surface area and more targeted contact with the ball, and hence strike the ball more cleanly

A real golden era for us
I remember us playing Man United at OT in the FA Cup 3rd round, televised, and finding out we had Fenn & Allen up front... Surprisingly we didn't win it that season.

Didn't see him play, but has to be Jimmy based on stats and reputation.

Jurgen was probably the best I've seen in my era, albeit for far too short a time.

Using my criteria again of being a player that was worth the admission money alone my short list would be Greaves, Gilzean, Chivers, Klinsmann, Lineker and Berbatov, with Smith and Teddy also worthy of mention.

It has to be Greaves though. One of my earliest memories is of Greaves dribbling around 4 or 5 Manchester United players before slotting the ball home in a 5-1 home win and then repeating the feat a few home games later against Leicester. There is a great photo of Greaves putting the ball in the net with a number of Leicester players, including Shilton I believe, on the floor. Have been searching for the photo on the internet but have not been able to find.

Is this the one?

greavsie%2068_730.jpg

Jimmy Greaves - Spurs 3-2 Leicester - Division One - October 5, 1968
Fans lucky enough to witness this goal at the Lane will tell you it was as good a goal that the maestro ever scored. Unfortunately, there were no TV cameras to capture it. There was a photograph in the next home programme, however, and if you would like to how they reported a goal that 'defies description' - it's right here (pdf).

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/leicester-away-top-fives-210815/

Yes that's the one. Brings back great memories although not sure it was quite as close to the Man. Utd. game as I thought

The little feet thing comes from King's autobiography. Apparently it was something they analysed/talked about quite a bit. He could just get more surface area and more targeted contact with the ball, and hence strike the ball more cleanly
The surface area striking the ball wouldn't be any greater at all for a person with smaller feet. If anything the surface area in contact with the ball is likely to be smaller as the ball squashes against his foot (the bigger the boot the more surface area against the ball).

Anyway Defoe's feet are a size 9.5 according to t'internet. That is probably a pretty average shoe size and indeed a larger than average size considering Defoe's height.

Let's trim this down to 10

Jimmy Greaves
Bobby Smith
Martin Chivers
Gary Doherty
Jermain Defoe
George Hunt
Len Duquemin
Alan Gilzean
Teddy Sheringham
Robbie Keane
Gary Lineker