• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny that. He has played more games and scored more goals than the "Legend" Jurgen Klinnsmann but not worthy of the list.

Not that I am advocating that. Just that I think Klinnsman buggered off and is not worthy or being anywhere near our greatest X1.

I know I listed him earlier but Klinsmann isn't in the conversation either.

There isn't a conversation, Greaves gets in to any best footballing 11 let alone a Spurs only one, Chiv
needs to be singled out as he was really was exceptional.

This is far more difficult than it looks. Greaves looks a cert, but he never played as a centre forward he always worked off a strong player, by his own admission he was lazy player. Clive Allen was the first lone striker I can remember filling this role, but given the calibre of the players behind them any or the following could do a fantastic job: Gilzean, Chivers, Sherringham or Berbatov. So I'll opt for Berbatov as he was such an intelligent player.

Tottenham_Goal_Scorers.png

Nice to see George Hunt on that list, he was my dad's favourite player when he was a kid, and The Duke, remember going into his newsagents shop in Northumberland Park on match days.

Greaves will get my vote.

I'd certainly put Smith, Chivers and Gilzean on the list. Gilzean was considered for the #10etc role but that was partly because he was up against Greaves for a single striker spot. He was bought to replace Smith as centre forward and was very much part of a striking pair, with two excellent partners, with us.

Then it depends on how long the list is. From our history there is a good case for Woodward, Duquemin, and Hunt. Then Defoe is in on numbers and its hard to pick him and not Keane.

I wouldn't pick Lineker, Allen (Clive) or Klinsmann based on longevity. Klinsman (38 goals) didn't even out score Perryman (39) and Mabbutt (38) in our shirt. Allen is the closest, because of the wonder season and strike ratio, and perhaps his 84 goals is enough to make the shortlist if we are going for ten.

A special mention should go to Archibald and Crooks, who were a great partnership with us. Together they deserve mention alongside Greaves and Gilzean, Chivers and Gilzean, and Berbatov and Keane.

I think Defoe was massively overrated. He had his little feet (why he could strike the ball so cleanly) and a burst of acceleration. But his 'shift n shoot' was a one trick pony. His lack of intelligence and intelligent movement always hindered him

Keane was a superb player, although I think he struggled later on outside a 4-4-2 because, though intelligent, he wasn't really as suited to the #10 role in the way say vdV was.
Little feet allow a player to strike the ball cleanly? Where did you get that one from?

His shift and shoot policy is extremely hard to defend against, in Defoe's case it was successful because he seemed to require such little backlift to generate power that the defender couldn't get himself set to make the block quickly enough. Defoe was also two footed so could shift and shoot either way.

I think it is extremely unfair to say that Defoe didn't have intelligent movement. You don't score as many goals as Defoe has throughout his career without having intelligent movement.

I think it is churlish to suggest that any player who scored goals at the rate Defoe did for us is 'overrated'. He may not have had Keane's versatility of playing 9 or 10 and perhaps was at that level of player just below Robbie Keane, but he was a very good goalscorer and the fact that he is still doing the business despite being well past his best is testament to this. I doubt the likes of Son or N'Jie will ever get anywhere near to Defoe's tally for us, even if they stay at the club for the same number of years that Defoe was here.

As an aside here GB - what shoe size is Jermaine Defoe?.... What counts as having "little feet" these days?!?

Last edited:
This is far more difficult than it looks. Greaves looks a cert, but he never played as a centre forward he always worked off a strong player, by his own admission he was lazy player. Clive Allen was the first lone striker I can remember filling this role, but given the calibre of the players behind them any or the following could do a fantastic job: Gilzean, Chivers, Sherringham or Berbatov. So I'll opt for Berbatov as he was such an intelligent player.
Very good point, one of was planning on making myself. He was an inside forward rather than a spearhead but as such he outscored all other top-level strikers in his era, a feat that much more remarkable precisely because he wasn't the main striker.

At the end of the day, you want your main man to be the one who's most likely to put the ball in the back of the net regardless. With the likes of Hoddle, Mackay, Gascoigne, Jones and Bale around him there are going to be plenty of chances and he more than any other is the man to put them away.

I agree with this shortlist. Greaves is the winner though. No competition really.
The only one I can comment on that list is Keane, and there is no way he'd be ahead of Berbatov for me regardless of number of appearances etc
Berbs oozed class and was a cut above any other forward Ive seen here....

On his day Dimitar Berbatov is probably the best footballer I've ever seen, let alone best forward. Best modern Spurs forward hands down.

Never has a player made the game look so effortless and beautiful. Added to that he had a deceiving turn of pace, hidden strength, exquisite touch, an eye for a pass and an excellent set piece in his armory.

He's the best forward I've seen play for Spurs (admittedly I'm not very old) Robbie Keane comes in a close second.. They were an amazing duo.

From the history books, stats and their general reputations you'd have to include Greaves, Viv, Allen and Lineker.

In this team, Bale would end up rampaging through the middle and give Jimmy the muscle he needs to play alongside ;)

May go for a sentimental vote and choose Lineker, as irrespective of Spurs being my local club, he was the reason I started supporting the club. But it's going to be Greaves, shirley?

I think Defoe was massively overrated. He had his little feet (why he could strike the ball so cleanly) and a burst of acceleration. But his 'shift n shoot' was a one trick pony. His lack of intelligence and intelligent movement always hindered him

Keane was a superb player, although I think he struggled later on outside a 4-4-2 because, though intelligent, he wasn't really as suited to the #10 role in the way say vdV was.

Keane was a superb footballer and his stats back that up . However his 'dream move' to his boyhood club and the way he slunk back when it failed taints any suggestion of his inclusion in this poll for me . The same for Klinsmann, terrific footballer but totally self serving.

Greaves will get my vote.

I'd certainly put Smith, Chivers and Gilzean on the list. Gilzean was considered for the #10etc role but that was partly because he was up against Greaves for a single striker spot. He was bought to replace Smith as centre forward and was very much part of a striking pair, with two excellent partners, with us.

Then it depends on how long the list is. From our history there is a good case for Woodward, Duquemin, and Hunt. Then Defoe is in on numbers and its hard to pick him and not Keane.

I wouldn't pick Lineker, Allen (Clive) or Klinsmann based on longevity. Klinsman (38 goals) didn't even out score Perryman (39) and Mabbutt (38) in our shirt. Allen is the closest, because of the wonder season and strike ratio, and perhaps his 84 goals is enough to make the shortlist if we are going for ten.

A special mention should go to Archibald and Crooks, who were a great partnership with us. Together they deserve mention alongside Greaves and Gilzean, Chivers and Gilzean, and Berbatov and Keane.

One of my best memories as a Spurs supporting child - loved the duo! My dream that Keano and Defoe would be the Gaelic - Afro Caribbean second-coming :D wasn't to be unfortunately. :(

I had a fondness for Mark Falco too (who also played alongside the two above).

Little feet allow a player to strike the ball cleanly? Where did you get that one from?

His shift and shoot policy is extremely hard to defend against, in Defoe's case it was successful because he seemed to require such little backlift to generate power that the defender couldn't get himself set to make the block quickly enough. Defoe was also two footed so could shift and shoot either way.

I think it is extremely unfair to say that Defoe didn't have intelligent movement. You don't score as many goals as Defoe has throughout his career without having intelligent movement.

I think it is churlish to suggest that any player who scored goals at the rate Defoe did for us is 'overrated'. He may not have had Keane's versatility of playing 9 or 10 and perhaps was at that level of player just below Robbie Keane, but he was a very good goalscorer and the fact that he is still doing the business despite being well past his best is testament to this. I doubt the likes of Son or N'Jie will ever get anywhere near to Defoe's tally for us, even if they stay at the club for the same number of years that Defoe was here.

As an aside here GB - what shoe size is Jermaine Defoe?.... What counts as having "little feet" these days?!?

As we're seeing with Mr Kane too. Very important attribute.

Back