• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im sure Leandro could turn out to be the dogs dangies, but there is (IMO) a huge difference between "Potential" and "Reality".

The reality is Higuain and co ARE top strikers in Europe and Leandro could be (potential - not "is")

Seems to me some forget this in their excitement

And what are the odds of us signing Higuain if he was up for sale? ANd therein lies the rub

Seems to me you are not appreciating that the top strikers in Europe are not going to sign for a Europa league playing team with a "

Spanish journo on twitter has given some details on the Modric deal, one of which suggests in July we agreed to sell for 40euros, but the next day Levy asked for 45 so the deal collapsed. He is Marcos Lopez, he is posting in Spanish and obviously I have no idea of the credibility or accuracy of the info just passing it on.

And on that I completely agree with you, and was trying to project that from a slightly different perspective. But as a general point it is very true that many players, or targets are hyped up when the likely truth is many fans have never, or hardly, seen them player. I wonder if the country they are from, or the name they have, has something to do with unrealistic expectations from the outset. For instance many of the players we have been linked with I have hardly seen play before, certainly not live and definitely not enough to make any assessment of how good they may be (hence I try to avoid commenting on them in any significant way).

Unfortunately, I have heard from people who've seen him play more than a dozen times that he's too one-dimensional. He has improved with his back to goal this year, but that's not saying much considering how awful he used to be. He rarely links up play or holds up the ball, which is a real worry because if he's only a goalscorer, that's a very risky gamble in a league where he'll get far less space and time to score. I'm worried he's the Brazilian Pav - someone who can score a brilliant goal every other game, but who costs the team thanks to his inability to get involved in the game. Remember that AVB's system *demands* high possession and workrate from everyone.

He would be a big step down from Ade, imo, even though he may be slightly more suited for our new formation. The ideal situation for me would be to secure Ade first, and then go after LD or another striker. Even Llorente's stats are quite poor compared to Ade in every aspect except goalscoring (fewer assists, fewer key passes, fewer passes etc). I'm not saying that Ade's super amazing, but he does get heavily involved in play, and that explains a huge part of that step up in quality we made last season compared to the season before last. We complain about finishing a point off third, but jesus christ we'd barely made fifth the season before. The quality of the play is just incomparable.

Unfortunately, I have heard from people who've seen him play more than a dozen times that he's too one-dimensional. He has improved with his back to goal this year, but that's not saying much considering how awful he used to be. He rarely links up play or holds up the ball, which is a real worry because if he's only a goalscorer, that's a very risky gamble in a league where he'll get far less space and time to score. I'm worried he's the Brazilian Pav - someone who can score a brilliant goal every other game, but who costs the team thanks to his inability to get involved in the game. Remember that AVB's system *demands* high possession and workrate from everyone.

He would be a big step down from Ade, imo, even though he may be slightly more suited for our new formation. The ideal situation for me would be to secure Ade first, and then go after LD or another striker. Even Llorente's stats are quite poor compared to Ade in every aspect except goalscoring (fewer assists, fewer key passes, fewer passes etc). I'm not saying that Ade's super amazing, but he does get heavily involved in play, and that explains a huge part of that step up in quality we made last season compared to the season before last. We complain about finishing a point off third, but jesus christ we'd barely made fifth the season before. The quality of the play is just incomparable.

Interesting post. I haven't seem him play enough I have to confess. But your point about how AVB wants his system to function is extremely important. Indeed my concern about the defensive high-line largely stems from concern that we don't have, and perhaps won't have (?) the kind of frontline necessary to ensure we press in the way he wants. Hopefully we can complete the signing of Ade because I am a big fan of his. Last season he was a massive player for us, and as far as I could see was more than willing to work hard. He would also represent an absolute bargain.

Dont see how that fits. Seems personal to me.

I used to read Hudd's Twitter and one of this friends (or whatever they are called on Twitter) was someone who only posted those sort of motivational aphorisms. Without seeing the context, I would assume this was Hud re-posting one of those. Iirc he did that sort of regularly.

I find it interesting to hear AVB talk about the Modric saga has delayed us making signings. Considering how pressing our need for strengthening is the whole thing has been deeply frustrating.

Ade - small fee, big wages (probably subsidised), at peak
Leandro - big fee, small wages, up-and-coming
Llorente - big fee, big wages, at peak

I really think Llorente is as likely as Falcao or Huigain.

For me it needs to be Ade and Leandro. Reckon we could get both for c.£25m, which is about what Llorente would cost by himself.

And what are the odds of us signing Higuain if he was up for sale? ANd therein lies the rub

Seems to me you are not appreciating that the top strikers in Europe are not going to sign for a Europa league playing team with a "

Spot on - we have zero chance of signing top established CL regular strikers - Leandro is exactly the same type of 'potential' player as Berbatov as at the time - a just about star for a just about club.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, 23, has been urged to stall on a move to Liverpool by Arsenal, who hope the lure of Champions League football will persuade the ex-Dortmund star to snub the Anfield club.

Full story: The Sun
Michael Dawson is a target for Liverpool

Michael Dawson is a target for Liverpool

Liverpool are lining up a move for either of Spurs pair Steven Caulker or Michael Dawson if defender Daniel Agger does leave the club to sign for Emirates Marketing Project.

Full story: The Metro

Tottenham are ready to make a move for Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles, 29, as a replacement for Real Madrid-bound Luka Modric.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner has reiterated his desire to leave the club, saying he will not be happy until he has done so. The 24-year-old spent last season on loan at Sunderland but has so far failed to seal a move away.

Full story: talkSPORT

Fulham have revived their interest in Blackburn midfielder Steven N'Zonzi, 23, who is not part of Steve Kean's plans after refusing to play for the club last season.
Zenith St Petersburg are the latest club interested in Berbatov

Zenit St Petersburg are the latest club interested in Berbatov

Full story: Daily Mail

Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg are interested in signing Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov. The 31-year-old Bulgarian international has been told he can leave Old Trafford.

OTHER GOSSIP

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher admits a top-four finish, rather than winning a trophy, is the main target for Liverpool this season.

Full story: talkSPORT
AND FINALLY

Robin van Persie's transfer from Arsenal to Manchester United has been the subject of several internet jokes, including pranksters parking a removal van outside Emirates Stadium and loading a dummy dressed as the Dutchman on board.

I see Redknapp jr. has said in the Mail that his dear old dad was driving the chairman crazy, begging him to bring Cazorla to Spurs

Ah, the classic 'we were after that player' line. I never understood the merit in that (be it Redknapp or whoever said it) - is it meant to indicate intention on result in a pat on the back? We can enquire about Xavi Hernandez and go off about it afterwards (much like Wham do these days).

In addition - I doubt Cazorla would have moved here 1 season ago because Malaga were still very much a 'strong' project and financially (most likely) superior to us.

Last edited:
I see Redknapp jr. has said in the Mail that his dear old dad was driving the chairman crazy, begging him to bring Cazorla to Spurs

Yes we used to get loads of positive media with all the connect ions that Harry had with the media. I can see them jumping down our throat as soon as they can.

Back