• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have to say it amuses me how Leandro finds himself in the same company as strikers proven to be top class in a top european league. How exactly has that happened?

Not a dig at you - its just you provide an example of a recurring recent theme

If a player has outstanding potential then I would not care whether or not he is proven in a top European league. Leandro has shown he has outstanding potential

Looking at the players Chelsea have signed, it wouldn't surprise me if he left, but is he really the type of player that could replace Modric? Thought he usually played further forward.

Besides, there seems to be many players that are proven in top European leagues that either do not want to come to us or we cannot afford them

Looking at the players Chelsea have signed, it wouldn't surprise me if he left, but is he really the type of player that could replace Modric? Thought he usually played further forward.

Seems like a deal that could very much happen given the players they've bought. Certainly not a modric replacement though, fingers crossed for moutinho but I get the feeling it won't happen

Meireles did not impress me last season and I do not think he is an improvement on what we have in midfield. Actually I thought he was one of their worst players in midfield

Last edited:
Fletcher.

Decent player. And (for no good reason, I confess) he doesn't strike me as the hissy fit type if he becomes more of a back up option if and when we do finally the higher level strikers that we're after.

Im quite a fan of his. In the "Fits the system and slots into the squad as a back up option" stakes I think he would be brilliant.

Meireles did not impress me last season and I do not think he is an improvement on what we have in midfield. Actually I thought he was one of their worst players in midfield

Has he been linked with us then? I am with you, would be surprised if we were targeting him and for what purpose? Edit: though considering AVB brought him to Chelsea perhaps not surprised he would be interested, just surprised because he is not what I would have expected especially if mooted as a Modric replacement.

Last edited:
id obviously prefer Adebayor + 1 but i'll take him on his own with the way things appear to be going !

i wouldn't be surprised if the Modric saga is holding up a few deals tbh, think about it - if Madrid don't meet our valuation that would dramatically alter the money we could spend on other areas so it's possible that rather than press ahead with our 'second choice' or cheaper targets we wait and see if the Modric deal goes through which in turn allows us to go for our first choice players.

obviously it's not ideal to leave it so late before completing your transfer activity but what would you honestly rather see - conclude our business early by going for our 'lesser' targets or hold out for the Modric money and go for our first choice signings ?

I'll reserve jumping on the "OMG what a brick window" bandwagon until 1st September when we can take in the whole window and make sense of whats happened.

Im not jumping that its a brick window but jumping on the timeliness of transfers - I guess unlike you and some others I see the window as closing yesterday (bearing in mind Noocastle game on saturday).

It is a catch 22 - go for the lower quality targets and get them before Noocastle or wait and get higher quality targets - obviously I choose the latter rather than the former.

I think we need two strikers and whilst one is enough if Ade gets injured then I think season would hit the rocks - infact I was extremely worried last season

Back