• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

We need to replace a few but not too many urgently!
We will only find out who it will be when it’s announced, we don’t have enough info to make a considered judgement.
Wow!

I dont see how we could afford:
- a better GK than Lloris (taking his current form as unusually erratic)
- better than Dele
- a better LB than Rose
- a better back-up LB than Davies
- a better back up RB than Trippier/Aurier (granted the first choice could be improved)
- a better DM than Dier (or Wanyama)
- a better back-up DM than Wanyama (or Dier)
- a better CM than Dembele
- better value than Son
- (probably) better value than Moura

Granted we could probably get a better fist choice RB, need to replace Toby like for like (but thats a one-off, zero cost change), and could probably afford a better 4th choice CB than Foyth but he's great value long-term...I think we could upgrade Lamela, though some disagree, and obviously Llorente and Janssen have contributed zilch so could be improved....

I dont think there's that many that could be easily improved though
Tell me your joking? we need to strengthen in one or two areas but " upgrade on a host of players" is over the top ( imo).

I did not say anything about replacing lots of players all at once. We have a great squad but we do need to upgrade on some players in the summer if we want to keep up with the Cities, Chelsea's, Liverpool's and Uniteds. They are only going to spend again in the summer and we need to start getting a couple more top class players in so we do not fall too far behind.

There are many players with the quality that have experience of winning titles, I never suggested signing a player purely because of their experience. But we have a severe lack of players in our squad who have won things, so signing someone of the required ability who has won a few things in their career wouldn’t hurt....
If they have both the mentality and have won titles, even better. But winning titles alone ain't gonna cut it. Llorente didn't exactly help us take the next step. A title winner with an average mentality is pretty useless imo. A quality player with a burning desire to win, even if he hasn't won titles would do wonders.

Seriously though, I do not agree that is the issue. The difference between us and the champions the last couple of seasons has been that we have had a slow start. I think that Poch is right to time our conditioning to peak for the run in. We are getting better at winning ugly and grinding out results, when we have to, but could do with a little bit more. Other than that, continuing to improve the squad, could push us over the line.
If it's not a conditioning thing, but a mentality thing, then we definitely need a player that's going to give everyone else a kick up the bum in the early part of the season.

They will have the same problem Chelsea had, giving those young players a chance in the first team which will include the risk of bad games that young players go through.
They have a whole bunch of players under 24 who are in their starting 11. I don't think that will be a problem for them.

I did not say anything about replacing lots of players all at once. We have a great squad but we do need to upgrade on some players in the summer if we want to keep up with the Cities, Chelsea's, Liverpool's and Uniteds. They are only going to spend again in the summer and we need to start getting a couple more top class players in so we do not fall too far behind.

So we have come to this level without spending big, while they, at the same time have spending big. So now you wants us to spend big so we don't fall behind?

So we have come to this level without spending big, while they, at the same time have spending big. So now you wants us to spend big so we don't fall behind?
What I can’t work out is how these big spenders will fit all the players in their squads

And don’t forget their all better than us already in some fans eyes so don’t actually need to spend... so I assume they will be amazing after all the players have been brought in

Indeed!

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is still reeling from the defeat and will hopefully calm down in the coming days - but yes the sentiment that the squad needs wholesale changes is genuinley staggering, so much so i don't even know where to begin...

I agree with you totally. I believe we need strengthening but I think it is irresponsible to suggest we need wholesale changes

We will pick up a couple of projects, but I believe we will pick up one or maybe two "big" players to energize and reinvigorate the squad. They will be Poch-mode players but I believe we will see a couple of big boys arriving. It only needs one or two to tip this project into silver IMO...
Arghhhh, not that word.

Encouraging quote from De Ligt:
"I am going to make a decision with my head, not based on money offers. I think some players would be tempted when they get massive offers. But compared to ordinary people I think I earn a huge wage right now, anyway. My next step just has to be right for me when I look at the team and where and how I will live."
I been told he can't be sold. Not vicious or malicious, just de-lovely and delicious

Back