• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

I really like Henry the left back at Brentford. Would actually suggest Fredricks would be a good right back, back up if we had a clear first choice right back.
I think that Fredricks is a step down from both Trippier and Aurier. I was advocating Henry as a signing back when he was at Walsall. At the very worst he will be a capable PL level player IMO.

Can’t get in the starting 11 now

Not sure it means much really, other than he is young.

He looked a real prospect early on, but since just hasnt really done the business. As you say, to the point he isnt getting games as much.

If we went for him Id be happy enough in that he clearly has a little something about him, but at the same time Im not a big advocate of pushing for him either.

He could be one of those where thats it, he falls away. Could be one where this season was a real learning experience and next season he is top drawer, only time will tell...

I think that Fredricks is a step down from both Trippier and Aurier. I was advocating Henry as a signing back when he was at Walsall. At the very worst he will be a capable PL level player IMO.

Fredericks is a step down but would be a competent number 2.
Neither our first choice right backs are outstanding.

As @nayimfromthehalfwayline says, I think that it is, at least in part, down to us having an intricate style of play that takes a while to click. I don't think that you can shout players into that.
You would think, though, that if it's the same players from the previous season (which it is in our case), that shouldn't take half a season.

It is the 17 and 18 year olds i mean. I think their path to the first team will be blocked or stunted.
I think that's the case with most teams, though. Even ours. I took your post to mean young players who are bought and could make the first team in most other clubs, not academy ones.

You would think, though, that if it's the same players from the previous season (which it is in our case), that shouldn't take half a season.

Injury played a big part in this seasons slow start (was it even that slow?).

Almost strategic in ripping the guts out of the team and exposing the defence.

I am very sure had Wanyama and Dembele been fit from the start (and continued to be fit) we would have done much better.

But lamela cannot pass like Eriksen-sen-sen. No one in our team can

Moura hasn’t shown that yet either and is more of a dribbler

My thoughts as well, in fact i see Moura as our Sane/Mane type of player, good with the ball at his feet, can beat a man by dropping a shoulder. I love Eriksen but he does not have that type of ability.

Injury played a big part in this seasons slow start (was it even that slow?).

Almost strategic in ripping the guts out of the team and exposing the defence.

I am very sure had Wanyama and Dembele been fit from the start (and continued to be fit) we would have done much better.
That's a fair point. Everything else being equal, however, this should not be the case.

No I sort of meant if we had a walker type right back then fredericks would be a competent back up. But sadly both our right backs are not of that quality.
I still don't fully follow. Why would having a better first choice right back make it fine to have a weaker second choice to cover him? If this were the case then wouldn't the bigger drop in quality between the first choice and the back-up result in having to overplay the first choice player risking fatigue injuries?

I still don't fully follow. Why would having a better first choice right back make it fine to have a weaker second choice to cover him? If this were the case then wouldn't the bigger drop in quality between the first choice and the back-up result in having to overplay the first choice player risking fatigue injuries?

Was thinking more about the squad as a whole. Guess I have to accept Walker has gone and we have one average right back (tripper) and one awful one who cant take a throw in.

I thought Poch was said to be looking at him. Being “versatile” is not a bad thing.

I just think if we buy a 28 year old he should be kinds special, I do not think Jay Rodriguez is better than we have right now, and even more importantly he i snot a young player with a lot of potential. I think we could do better

Back