• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Its not really the pint of other clubs doing good or bad but its the fact that we have constantly failed to push on to show any ambition in the market. However we do not know the constraints of the club and finances. The P/L look great but its not going to bring us trophies or keep our current crop happy.

We're more or less going to be in the same situation as the last few seasons - good enough to compete at the top end of the league and looking to go deep in the CL, and by virtue of being one of the top sides in the country we'll be in with a good shout of going for the domestic cups also

Of course they are players out there who may help us improve, but that is the point i was making they are not easy to get. But we have all been through this debate before and all the explanations of how hard it is have been posted on many occasions.

The only thing i and others disagree with is that Levy is holding us back, will not spend the money, etc,etc etc. There are a few others who seem to think we have not tried, could not be bothered etc,etc.

As i said before its USUALLY the same posters who always come out at this time of the year no matter who/what we have done and slag Levy off.

No surprise given their cult leader has started vomiting out vids on top of the regular crap. Any photographic evidence that the poisoned dwarf (he who shall not be named) has even been inside WHL before? :)

Are we? Have Chelsea or Manchester United had better summers than us? As things stand we have continuity with a maturing set of players that have finished in the top four for the last three seasons.
But the same squad that still doesn’t have a plan b and struggles to break down certain teams. We need depth, people who can come off of the bench and make an impact.

Chelsea have made one very good signing that will improve them the same with United. Chelsea will also perform better under there new manager. It only takes one top signing to take you up a level, look at Liverpool & Salah.

But the same squad that still doesn’t have a plan b and struggles to break down certain teams. We need depth, people who can come off of the bench and make an impact.

Chelsea have made one very good signing that will improve them the same with United. Chelsea will also perform better under there new manager. It only takes one top signing to take you up a level, look at Liverpool & Salah.

So if right now
Harry Kane hadnt signed a contract and said he really would like to go to madrid
Hugo Lloris had gone on strike trying to push a move to madrid

but
We had signed a new CM

then we would have had a good window?

So if right now
Harry Kane hadnt signed a contract and said he really would like to go to madrid

but
We had signed a new CM

Good point well made. My worry above all is dependancy on Kane and the fact we are the same as Jan window but with 3 contracts "Rebels"

Moura has something different from the others. With him and Son in the side we have the option of playing on the counter. Besides, we were very effective playing on the counter in the CL group stage last season, so it is incorrect that we only have one way of playing.

I wouldn't swap Chelsea or United's new players for our stability. Both clubs go into the season looking unstable.

I feel much better after reading that.
“Who the outs are in a numerical sense”

Wtf? :D

“Hey man, it’s me - write these outs down.... Number 17.

Number 4.

Number 32.

Can’t say anymore. Don’t shoot the messenger. Just passing on. Etc”

It doesn't matter who we sign now, however good or however last minute, whether they're deemed first teamers or just squad bolsterers.

...The bottom line is they're arriving TOO DAMN LATE!!!!

Poch wanted it done early. We have a problem starting slowly and that'll only be exacerbated this season after the WC. We needed time to bed any newbies into Poch's system and get them settled in.

Doesn't matter who arrives before the deadline, prepare yourselves for another slow start. We missed the boat on getting this sorted.
I now believe we are targeting players that actually fit straight into our system and style of play, rather than perhaps those with the potential to adapt to it given a bit of time.

Of course it bloody matters- good players late in the window >>>>> average/not good players any time in the window

To add to @billyiddo’s point, I think our “slow starts” are a little exaggerated too.

So if right now

but
We had signed a new CM

I agree with the sentiment it’s important to keep our best players etc But if that’s all we do then unless the stars from other clubs leave this window then we haven’t gained anything on our rivals. Even if Courtois leaves Chelsea he’s a very good keeper but not irreplaceable and wouldn’t have the impact of say Hazard leaving. It’s great that we’ve kept our house in order but we still need to make a couple of signings to strengthen the squad and kick on and I still believe that will happen....

I agree with the sentiment it’s important to keep our best players etc But if that’s all we do then unless the stars from other clubs leave this window then we haven’t gained anything on our rivals. Even if Courtois leaves Chelsea he’s a very good keeper but not irreplaceable and wouldn’t have the impact of say Hazard leaving. It’s great that we’ve kept our house in order but we still need to make a couple of signings to strengthen the squad and kick on and I still believe that will happen....

We've the youngest team of the top 6 (?) and so there's an argument to be made that we have more room to grow as a team than others do - whether that is enough to counteract what others do in the market is another debate. Right now as things stand i don't think we've lost ground to anyone other than Liverpool who have bought well (imo)

I think there's this idea that rivals buying players = them improving as a matter of fact, when in reality that's not always the case and there are always other factors to take in to account

So if right now

but
We had signed a new CM

I don't see your point? Kane and Lloris have signed a new contract so that doesn't really matter does it? We have an opportunity to strengthen the team and have not done that yet.

Moura has something different from the others. With him and Son in the side we have the option of playing on the counter. Besides, we were very effective playing on the counter in the CL group stage last season, so it is incorrect that we only have one way of playing.

I wouldn't swap Chelsea or United's new players for our stability. Both clubs go into the season looking unstable.

I'm not saying i would swap the way the club is run or any of our rivals new players. We seem to be taking what i said out of context.

Playing counter attacking football against a Dortmund or Madrid in the Champions League is far different to the bread and butter that is the premiership. I know full well 85% of this forum will be frustrated with our lack of a plan b if we draw 0-0 at home to a well drilled Burnley team.

Willian all over again

EVERTON MEDICAL FOR BERNARD

Chelsea have lodged a late bid to sign Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Bernard, according to Sky sources, but the Brazilian is on his way to Everton and is expected on Merseyside for a medical in the next 48-hours.

Bernard’s move is subject to that medical and a work permit being granted.

Sky Sports News understands that AC Milan were convinced Bernard was on his way to the San Siro, and another source tells us Atletico Madrid also pushed hard to sign him, while West Ham were also interested

Surely someone who we could have got and would have given us that x-factor in the final third. Hopefully we'll see this and consider trying to intercept it. Wonder why we didnt go for him given that he's be clearly available and well known for a while

Right...here's my prediction of how the rest of the window will pan out.

Grealish and Zaha in.
Llorente out, GKN and Jansen loaned.
Dembele, Alderweirld and Rose all staying put for another season.

Which sides do you think have an effective plan b?

United have the stick Fellani up front and pump balls to him tactic, which isnt really far removed from their plan a of lumping balls up to Lukaku.

City and Liverpool seem to stick to their way of playing regardless of how frustrating their opponents make it for them - whilst Arsenal and Chelsea seem to struggle putting any plan in to action at all, let alone a plan b.

Right...here's my prediction of how the rest of the window will pan out.

Grealish and Zaha in.
Llorente out, GKN and Jansen loaned.
Dembele, Alderweirld and Rose all staying put for another season.

Personally I dont rate Zaha that highly but if Poch does enough and we end up with that, then thats just about good enough for me.

My biggest fear about our lack of action in this window isn't really about our prospects for the new season - its more about the message which it sends to the likes of Eriksen and Dele (if he has a good season this year). Kane is Spurs through and through so I think has a higher threshold of loyalty, but losing someone like Eriksen in particular next summer would leave a huge gap to fill

Last edited:
CHELSEA IN ADVANCED £71.6M KEPA TALKS

Chelsea are in advanced talks to sign Bilbao 'keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, according to Sky sources.

It is understood the 23-year-old – a Spain international with one cap – would cost the Blues £71.6m, which would be a world-record fee for a 'keeper.

Reports in Spain this evening have gone as far as to say that Chelsea’s intentions are fly the player to London on Wednesday and have him train on Thursday, with the hope he could make his debut in their season-opener against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Worlds gone fudging crazy, as frustrating as it can be being sensible, I am so glad we dont get involved in nonsense like this.

Playing counter attacking football against a Dortmund or Madrid in the Champions League is far different to the bread and butter that is the premiership. I know full well 85% of this forum will be frustrated with our lack of a plan b if we draw 0-0 at home to a well drilled Burnley team.

We have a nicely balanced squad with lots of options and all teams will struggle against well drilled opposition.

Back