• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Are you happy with how the window has gone?

I have been around long enough to know that that the Transfer window is always a debate among fans, would i have been happier if we had got Martial( assuming we do not get him) of course i would, but on the other side i am not going to wallow in doom and gloom if we fail to make the move. And certainly i am not going to slag Levy off after how far he has brought forward our club over the last decade or so. I know some will but as i said before they do it after every window anyway.

It doesn't matter who we sign now, however good or however last minute, whether they're deemed first teamers or just squad bolsterers.

...The bottom line is they're arriving TOO DAMN LATE!!!!

Poch wanted it done early. We have a problem starting slowly and that'll only be exacerbated this season after the WC. We needed time to bed any newbies into Poch's system and get them settled in.

Doesn't matter who arrives before the deadline, prepare yourselves for another slow start. We missed the boat on getting this sorted.
I now believe we are targeting players that actually fit straight into our system and style of play, rather than perhaps those with the potential to adapt to it given a bit of time.

Of course it bloody matters- good players late in the window >>>>> average/not good players any time in the window

I didn’t actually care to begin with but now i am getting a little frustrated. We are getting left behind by the other top 6 and if we do not get top 4 and do not compete for a trophy the transfer window next season could be a lot different. Not in a good way.

Are we? Have Chelsea or Manchester United had better summers than us? As things stand we have continuity with a maturing set of players that have finished in the top four for the last three seasons.

IF (key point) we wanted him at a cheaper price the time to strike was before the take over.

Levy gambled and lost with the take over coming through.

And the fact that no real talks could be done before the takeover was finished has nothing to do with it. Something that is common knowledge from what i have seen elsewhere.

Of course they are players out there who may help us improve, but that is the point i was making they are not easy to get. But we have all been through this debate before and all the explanations of how hard it is have been posted on many occasions.

Of course they are not easy to get because they are elite players but thats the barrier isnt it, if you have intent to move to the next level you work within the moving parts of the business and make it happen despite the barriers within reason.

Also their is an argument here to say you pay more long term by not bowing down to demands and then paying over the odds later on. We have 3/4 players we are trying to off load by the sounds of it who all fall into that bracket where if maybe we swallowed abit more pride earlier in the transfer market we may have got a btter player for the same figures. Ala Sissoko

Of course they are not easy to get because they are elite players but thats the barrier isnt it, if you have intent to move to the next level you work within the moving parts of the business and make it happen despite the barriers within reason.

Also their is an argument here to say you pay more long term by not bowing down to demands and then paying over the odds later on. We have 3/4 players we are trying to off load by the sounds of it who all fall into that bracket where if maybe we swallowed abit more pride earlier in the transfer market we may have got a btter player for the same figures. Ala Sissoko

Ifs, but and maybes mate, listen i am not really disagreeing with you at all. However i am sure that the club are doing all they can to improve us and it beggars belief that some SEEM to think that Levy is holding back our progress.

Ifs, but and maybes mate, listen i am not really disagreeing with you at all. However i am sure that the club are doing all they can to improve us and it beggars belief that some SEEM to think that Levy is holding back our progress.

I don't think that but he has not had a great window in my opinion and thats from someone that holds him in great regard

Id be surprised if we finished outside the top 4 if things stay as they are - i think some of you are in danger of forgetting how good this team is because of your frustrations with our lack of movement in the market - i understand that, im frustrated myself but lets not lose sight of the fact we have a very good team - one of the best in the league in fact

As it happens i think we'll see a bit of movement and when all said and done Sanchez was signed later in the window last year than any player we bring in this season and it didn't seem to hold him back from settling in and having a positive impact on our season.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg
Lev will be lazily rustling through his "miscellaneous leads" box, which we all have, for the fax machine's power brick about now.

In fairness you still need to use fax to communicate with Aston.

Id be surprised if we finished outside the top 4 if things stay as they are - i think some of you are in danger of forgetting how good this team is because of your frustrations with our lack of movement in the market - i understand that, im frustrated myself but lets not lose sight of the fact we have a very good team - one of the best in the league in fact

It's a cliché but Moura is like a new signing. He had very little impact in the league last season but looks ready to go now and serious competition for our other forwards.

I think we are very good, I think we are better than Man United and Chelsea and Arsenal but so many variables that its no given, silly to say maybe, is it ever.

I just think from a high base we had a chance to go higher and its a tad disapointing.

I don't think that but he has not had a great window in my opinion and thats from someone that holds him in great regard

Fair enough, but its that old chesnut again ( cost and ability). There are clubs who can blow us of the water in deals and that is where we still come out short. I am sure that our future ( new stadium etc) is a bright one and we have Levy to thank for that ( and i know you are not one of those fans who blame Levy for failing to do what THEY want), but they are some who can not look past the end of their noses when it comes to Levy. Its always been that way and like i have said elsewhere they will never change.

Hercules: I have said everything I had to say on most. We just sit and wait. I was told who would be in, and who the outs are in a numerical sense. Let’s see...

I think we are very good, I think we are better than Man United and Chelsea and Arsenal but so many variables that its no given, silly to say maybe, is it ever.

I just think from a high base we had a chance to go higher and its a tad disapointing.

Yeah i agree with the bold, that's where my dissapointment lays too but there is still time to run and if it turns out that we have our targets in mind and are just leaving it late for the reasons argued by many posters then there is still hope we can do that - as per my edit which you probably missed, any player we sign now will be here earlier than when Sanchez arrived last season - so a positive impact from the right type of signing can still be seen...

I think that is the balanced view that everyone should work around.

Have no issue with people thinking we could have pushed on a bit, however balance to the hysterics are

Chelsea
About to lose their goalkeeper 4 days from the start of the season after he went on strike
Their star man really doesnt want to be there

Man Utd
Failed to secure their number 1 target or strengthen where they needed, despite spurs apparently just caving in
Pogba their star seems to be approachable shall we say
Manager seems to be throwing stones at everyone at the club

Emirates Marketing Project
Got gazumped on Jorginho although they really really dont need anyone

Arsenal
Long way behind and havent got any star names in

Liverpool
Strengthened well

So its not like the others have had a great window bar liverpool who had area of concern after losing can on a free and karius to a very bad head injury, and in chelsea and utds case who have had a far worse one

Its not really the pint of other clubs doing good or bad but its the fact that we have constantly failed to push on to show any ambition in the market. However we do not know the constraints of the club and finances. The P/L look great but its not going to bring us trophies or keep our current crop happy.

Its not really the pint of other clubs doing good or bad but its the fact that we have constantly failed to push on to show any ambition in the market. However we do not know the constraints of the club and finances. The P/L look great but its not going to bring us trophies or keep our current crop happy.

But it does matter, as basically the other top 6 havent managed to secure their targets either, bar liverpool who still lost out on Fekir. So the market seems to be difficult for all

Back