• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steffen Freund new International Technical Coordinator

The problem with Freund for me is I perhaps unjustly associate him with rough, rugged football rather than the exciting dynamic Spurs that I want too see. A bit anti-football if you like.

But just because he was limited as a footballer doesn't mean that he is limited in the same ways as a coach.

I think Levy suggested appointing Freund as a no.2 to AVB, I don't think AVB went to Levy and said I'd like Freund as my no. 2. I'd be surprised if anyone thinks otherwise, seems quite obvious to me what's happened.

I'm all for this appointment by the way, I don't see any problem with it. Like everyone says, he seems to have been doing good things with Ze Germans.

Only guessing of course, but my guess would be that Levy and AVB discussed the assistant role and multiple names were discussed and quite possibly some interviews were done. At least Freund was interviewed. Then a decision was made where AVB and Levy agreed that they would go for Freund.

Just because Levy suggested it first wouldn't mean that it was he who "brought him in".

I just think the simplest way to think of it is the example I mentioned earlier, had avb gone to Liverpool would Freund be his no. 2 now? IMO not a chance.

But just because he was limited as a footballer doesn't mean that he is limited in the same ways as a coach.

Having watched that clip of him on Soccer AM now he seems very focused and capable. He didn't excite me as a player, I hope he does as a coach. :)

I just think the simplest way to think of it is the example I mentioned earlier, had avb gone to Liverpool would Freund be his no. 2 now? IMO not a chance.

Probably not but that does not mean that he is just there to shout and pack the players on the back.

Has Sherwood's role been confirmed yet? It is possible that Freund is Sherwood's man/appointment.

no, he would have picked a former Liverpool player now involved in coaching, or someone highly rated already in the Liverpool coaching ranks, and who AVB thinks has the ability to be a good assistant. This is what AVB has done in his last two jobs.He likes to have 'club' people in there alongside him

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not but that does not mean that he is just there to shout and pack the players on the back.

Has Sherwood's role been confirmed yet? It is possible that Freund is Sherwood's man/appointment.

AVB is super meticulous, he knows a lot about players, tactics, coaching, and he is his own man, is it so unbelievable that he himself could have put Freund's name forward???

Probably a discussion between Levy, Avb and Sherwood.

no, he would have picked a former Liverpool player now involved in coaching, or someone highly rated already in the Liverpool coaching ranks, and who AVB thinks has the ability to be a good assistant. This is what AVB has done in his last two jobs.He likes to have 'club' people in there alongside him

AVB is super meticulous, he knows a lot about players, tactics, coaching, and he is his own man, is it so unbelievable that he himself could have put Freund's name forward???

Agree with both of those.

I find it very strange to think that Levy is asking AVB to push us on from where we are, he's giving him the responsibility and plenty of cash to do so. He's letting him bring in his own coaches if he wants to, he's seemingly allowing him to break our transfer record and possibly squeeze our wage budget a bit. In short he's supporting the manager, but the one point where he's putting his foot down is on appoint his number two, the man he'll be working closest to. Here Levy wants to make the decision? Or he wants Tim Sherwood to make the decision? I can't get myself to believe that.

Agree with both of those.

I find it very strange to think that Levy is asking AVB to push us on from where we are, he's giving him the responsibility and plenty of cash to do so. He's letting him bring in his own coaches if he wants to, he's seemingly allowing him to break our transfer record and possibly squeeze our wage budget a bit. In short he's supporting the manager, but the one point where he's putting his foot down is on appoint his number two, the man he'll be working closest to. Here Levy wants to make the decision? Or he wants Tim Sherwood to make the decision? I can't get myself to believe that.

Do you think that AVB chose to appoint Di Matteo at Chelsea?

Do you think that AVB chose to appoint Di Matteo at Chelsea?

I have no idea. I find the idea that any owner or chairman would appoint an assistant without letting the manager have the final word hard to believe. But with Abramovich the hard to believe is often standard.

Back