• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steffen Freund new International Technical Coordinator

looks like levy to me.
trust him to be detailed enough to put in the checks-and-balance required to run this.

AVB has what 3 of his own guys already, so levy inserts his for an "objective" point of view.
If you disregard Freund as an ex-player, he is a junior coach who is right for the job.
It only gets ugly when the formal checks-and-balance is undermined by informal whispers through the grapevine. Levy is probably an old hand in this game seeing how he recruits new managers in clandestine fashion.

If it works, old boys and new boys working as a team it could be beautiful.
If it doesn't, it could get messy.

It all boils down to 2 people for me: Freund and Sherwood.

Not sure about Freund becoming the assistant coach. We still don't know how the players will respond to AVB. So, it would have been better to appoint someone who have experience in managing at club level. Freund has never been involved with any clubs. He was only involved with national teams. I think a more experienced assistant would have been better to help AVB communicate with the players.

Not sure about Freund becoming the assistant coach. We still don't know how the players will respond to AVB. So, it would have been better to appoint someone who have experience in managing at club level. Freund has never been involved with any clubs. He was only involved with national teams. I think a more experienced assistant would have been better to help AVB communicate with the players.

Fundamentally disagree with that. Having a manager as a #2 is a recipie for disaster. If you have a man who has taken the plunge into management then he is a strong, driven, ambitious person who thinks he knows how to run a club, thinks he knows best.

That is not what you need in a subbordinate at all in this situation IMHO.

RDM under AVB at Chelsea, as an example....

So for all the hell people on here give 'ITKs' you're now all 'ITK' now that AVB could never in a million years have ever met Freund before and thought "Hang on, this guys knows his stuff and would be good to have around" that's UTTERLY impossible.

GHod, so glad you people don't run things.

"Hi, Andre Villas-Boas here, I got screwed over by my old chairman and club - can you believe this - they forced Di Matteo on me as an assistant."
"That's ridiculous. Here's Steffen Freund, your new assistant."
"Okay, so, just sign here is it?"

Idiots.

So for all the hell people on here give 'ITKs' you're now all 'ITK' now that AVB could never in a million years have ever met Freund before and thought "Hang on, this guys knows his stuff and would be good to have around" that's UTTERLY impossible.

"Hi, Andre Villas-Boas here, I got screwed over by my old chairman and club - can you believe this - they forced Di Matteo on me as an assistant."

Idiots.

More like..

Avb - 'At Chelsea i struggled with x,y and z.'
Levy/Sherwood - 'Here is a list of people we would recommend to take as your assistant in that case'
Avb - 'Okies, thanks for the help, i'll go away and consider which one i think is the best fit to work with and i'll be in contact with them.'

Hardly an unlikely scenario...

(not that i'm saying it definitely happened, just that it could have happened)

idiot... :lol:

Last edited:
More like..

Avb - 'At Chelsea i struggled with x,y and z.'
Levy/Sherwood - 'Here is a list of people we would recommend to take as your assistant in that case'
Avb - 'Okies, thanks for the help, i'll go away and consider which one i think is the best fit to work with and i'll be in contact with them.'

Hardly an unlikely scenario...

(not that i'm saying it definitely happened, just that it could have happened)

idiot... :lol:

Yes, but people are talking as though he is Evil Demon Levy's man, or Tim 'Why are you at the club, you clearly have no talent' Sherwood's man. It's nonsense. AVB wouldn't sanction something like this without meeting him a few times, talking to him a lot, etc etc.

I know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes, but it's quite clear that AVB doesn't like his authority being questioned, and he likes having total control over coaching and tactics. Freund is almost definitely his man.

Idiots.

I must have missed the post where someone made that claim ! Who said that?

Some really bonkers conspiracy theorising going on here.

The idea that Freund is somehow being foisted on AVB by Levy and/or Sherwood is preposterous. In a league table of likely explanations for how the appointment came about, that one is relegation fodder. It also likely massively overstates Sherwood's power.

Which is not to say the original suggestion mightn't have come from Spurs' end. It may have done, but only as part of a wider conversation between AVB and Levy about staffing that would ultimately have been 100% AVB's call. There is evidence he likes an ex-player on the coaching staff of the clubs he manages, so maybe he asked Levy for suggestions. And it is likely Freund is among the best qualified of our youngish ex-players so would naturally have been high on Levy's list of suggestions. That is the fullest conceivable extent of Levy's involvement in my view. Maybe the suggestion even came from AVB himself, who knows?

Also, Freund's role is likely to be the Steve Clarke/Ray Wilkins/Joe Jordan/Mike Phelan type role of being a link between the players and the coaches rather than a highly technical job. Steffan seems a tremendously likeable guy and perfect for that specific role. And "Assisant Head Coach" is different to "First Team Coach", which is the technical job Martins will be doing. It's a bit like Gareth Keenan's famous "Assistant Manager" v. "Assistant to the Manager".

Again, unless I've missed something, the only conspiracy theories are coming from those who've come on to the thread to tell everyone how ridiculous those conspiracy theories are !

well from what i have read/seen on Freund he seems to know his football, has done his coaching badges and has managed national youth teams at international tournaments and assisted in a full international tournament (ACN) - he sounds like a young hungry coach who has ambitions to become a top level manager himself one day - whatever brought him here i think he seems a far cry from the rough and ready player he was famous for being and seems a well articulated, knowledgeable man - i think he will be using his time here to develop himself as a coach and to learn from AVB for when he steps in to club management further down the line.

id imagine he was suggested to the manager by the club, but was by no means forced upon Boas, who id imagine gave his blessing after having a meeting of sorts at some stage with him

Back