• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steffen Freund new International Technical Coordinator

Why does everyone assume that his primary strength is going to be motivating players? He wouldn't be working within Germany's youth set up unless he was very good on technique and reading the game.

The most sensible post I've read in some time!

San someone please explain the link between AVB and Freund? I am pretty sure Sherwood appointed him right?

Thats weird - if I was a Manager I would want my own Assistant

San someone please explain the link between AVB and Freund? I am pretty sure Sherwood appointed him right?

Thats weird - if I was a Manager I would want my own Assistant

maybe AVB likes to have a club man as his assistant

at Porto he had Victor Pereira who had previously worked with Porto juniors, at chelsea he had RDM and we know his background with them, and now at Spurs he has chosen Freund.

The most sensible post I've read in some time!

Thank you.

I think it is silly that people assume that just because he was technically limited as a player he would have to be a chest thumping, heart on sleeve coach. His employment record suggests he'll be anything but this.

Thank you.

I think it is silly that people assume that just because he was technically limited as a player he would have to be a chest thumping, heart on sleeve coach. His employment record suggests he'll be anything but this.
Just as much as people assume Ledley will be a good coach

Thank you.

Another point, how many great players go on to become great managers?

Being a coach or manager has nothing to do with your ability as a player.

He was an awful player but might be a good coach and coming through the system with the germans means he has got be pretty good.

I have nothing to back it up but i do not rate les ferdinand as a coach and would like him to do one, other then that im a lot happier with our coaching staff now then i was 3 months ago. Good news i think.

Why does everyone assume that his primary strength is going to be motivating players? He wouldn't be working within Germany's youth set up unless he was very good on technique and reading the game.

I think this is a club appointment, not an AVB appointment, how do we know his philosophy is the same as AVB's? Had AVB gone to Liverpool for example do you think Freund would have been made his 1st team coach? The fact (and i'm almost certain it is a fact) that Freund was brought in by Levy and not AVB suggests that his main role won't be tactics, it will, to start with, be more of a link between players and management and an ex player to let everyone know what it's about to be Spurs.

Not suggesting for a second that AVB would be unhappy about this, if he was against the appointment I'm sure we wouldn't have done it.

The problem with Freund for me is I perhaps unjustly associate him with rough, rugged football rather than the exciting dynamic Spurs that I want too see. A bit anti-football if you like.

I think this is a club appointment, not an AVB appointment, how do we know his philosophy is the same as AVB's? Had AVB gone to Liverpool for example do you think Freund would have been made his 1st team coach? The fact (and i'm almost certain it is a fact) that Freund was brought in by Levy and not AVB suggests that his main role won't be tactics, it will, to start with, be more of a link between players and management and an ex player to let everyone know what it's about to be Spurs.

Not suggesting for a second that AVB would be unhappy about this, if he was against the appointment I'm sure we wouldn't have done it.

What makes you so sure that he was brought in by Levy?

I struggle to see Levy not involving AVB directly in a decision like this.

AVB has only had to manager jobs, Di Matteo obviously wasn't available and I believe his assistant at Porto got the Porto job after he left. AVB seems quite clued in with world football, Freund has been making a name for himself in the Germany youth setup, he has a Spurs connection. Could just be that Levy and AVB decided together, or that they interviewed several people and he was the one AVB liked the most...

The problem with Freund for me is I perhaps unjustly associate him with rough, rugged football rather than the exciting dynamic Spurs that I want too see. A bit anti-football if you like.

Perfect. AVB is often associated with devil-may-care high defensive lines and weaknesses in the back-line; Freund with rugged, no-nonsense determination and grim, relentless scrapping.

Together, they'll create a wonder-child of beautiful attacking football combined with rock-solid defensive impenetrability. :D

What makes you so sure that he was brought in by Levy?

I struggle to see Levy not involving AVB directly in a decision like this.

AVB has only had to manager jobs, Di Matteo obviously wasn't available and I believe his assistant at Porto got the Porto job after he left. AVB seems quite clued in with world football, Freund has been making a name for himself in the Germany youth setup, he has a Spurs connection. Could just be that Levy and AVB decided together, or that they interviewed several people and he was the one AVB liked the most...

I think Levy suggested appointing Freund as a no.2 to AVB, I don't think AVB went to Levy and said I'd like Freund as my no. 2. I'd be surprised if anyone thinks otherwise, seems quite obvious to me what's happened.

I'm all for this appointment by the way, I don't see any problem with it. Like everyone says, he seems to have been doing good things with Ze Germans.

Back