• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steffen Freund new International Technical Coordinator

I think this could prove to be a step in the right direction regarding the mentality of coaches. Without any proof to back it up, it seems to me that the type of, say, Ferdinand is too relaxed about the whole thing. A coach in my book should be all about toughness, motivation and direction, not necessarily being amongst the best to perform himself. I remember reports of Hoddle being too involved, almost doing sessions for his own sake, not of the players he was supposed to coach.

I'm very optimistic about the way the club seems to be heading.

Why does everyone assume that his primary strength is going to be motivating players? He wouldn't be working within Germany's youth set up unless he was very good on technique and reading the game.

Shooooooooot! Portuguise flair combined with german determination and organisation must be good :)

I don't know if that included me, but motivation is (amongst) what we have been lacking for a long time, at least it looks that way to me. We have nearly always put in a good shift against Arsenal, but too many times we have shown signs of complacency and lack of effort against so called "lesser" teams, even in the late 90's when we were tinkle poor ourselves. Even Harry couldn't get that completely right, the times we turned a goal against into victory says more about our team's sheer skill than proper motivation and focus. IMO.

When that is said, we have to assume that when you bring in a professional footballer (not into the youth setup), he has a certain skillset which you need, and that he knows how to kick a football. What you need is a direction to follow, a system to fall back on, and drilling into said framework. You don't employ a carpenter for an insane amount of cash and then have to show him how to hold a hammer. The notion of paying a footballer 50-100k a week (or even 225k) and then having to coach him how to properly take a free kick, a corner or show them where the goal stands is ludicrous. And if so, keep Freund out of it. :) To me, it seems like we nurture individual skills more than giving our players directions how to react to different scenarios and stages of the game. Of course I don't have anything else to base that on than that we look severly dependant on individuals performing (or being fit), or else the entire team falls apart, individual mistakes notwithstanding. You need to be told what to do - not how to do it, motivated to do so, and you need the practice and confidence to be able to do it. If not, practice in your spare time or take a severe paycut (not realistic I know).

That is why I despite being in full support of Harry, have great faith in us bringing in a more tactially minded manager and the coaches he prefers.

Is anyone else concerned this seems VERY similar to when AVB got lumbered with RDM?

Nope.

Di Matteo was already an established manager in his own right. He had also been a Chelsea player alongside Terry and Lampard. So, in two respects, he was a potential threat as much as he was a potential ally. Freund is an ex Spurs player but the only one he'll know is Ledley - who is unlikely to play much (if any) of a part as a player this season. And he has never been a senior manager.

Moreover, the whole situation at Spurs is so very different to that at Chelsea that I think it would be unwise to try to make comparisons.

Last edited:
I thought we just hired some Louis Martins bloke as team coach?

What's Sigmunds role?

Come to think of it what's AVB's title?:~

I don't know if that included me, but motivation is (amongst) what we have been lacking for a long time, at least it looks that way to me. We have nearly always put in a good shift against Arsenal, but too many times we have shown signs of complacency and lack of effort against so called "lesser" teams, even in the late 90's when we were tinkle poor ourselves. Even Harry couldn't get that completely right, the times we turned a goal against into victory says more about our team's sheer skill than proper motivation and focus. IMO.

When that is said, we have to assume that when you bring in a professional footballer (not into the youth setup), he has a certain skillset which you need, and that he knows how to kick a football. What you need is a direction to follow, a system to fall back on, and drilling into said framework. You don't employ a carpenter for an insane amount of cash and then have to show him how to hold a hammer. The notion of paying a footballer 50-100k a week (or even 225k) and then having to coach him how to properly take a free kick, a corner or show them where the goal stands is ludicrous. And if so, keep Freund out of it. :) To me, it seems like we nurture individual skills more than giving our players directions how to react to different scenarios and stages of the game. Of course I don't have anything else to base that on than that we look severly dependant on individuals performing (or being fit), or else the entire team falls apart, individual mistakes notwithstanding. You need to be told what to do - not how to do it, motivated to do so, and you need the practice and confidence to be able to do it. If not, practice in your spare time or take a severe paycut (not realistic I know).

That is why I despite being in full support of Harry, have great faith in us bringing in a more tactially minded manager and the coaches he prefers.

Germany didn't build one of the most envied youth set ups in the world by motivating 16 year olds.

so what do we reckon has happened here ?

I can't imagine Villa Boas has requested Freund as an Assistant - so that means that Levy (most likely) has been the man behind this deal - or maybe Sherwood ? seems a bit strange to me that the manager isn't the one bringing in his preferred choice but then i guess he must have given the ok for the deal

Sherwood would make sense as they played together for a bit. But it's not like it would have been without AVB's approval. It's part of the whole setup - AVB and his Portuguese crew and the supposed transfer 'committee' of Levy, Sherwood and AVB.

Which ITK called this? Jjetset?

Who: Archibald
Where: SO
When: 6th July 2012

More regarding update 192 regarding staff incoming.

Archibald was asked today:
So you're saying we'll know who the rest of the coaching staff are going to be archie??

Archibald:
"Yes. A football genius maybe"

Germany didn't build one of the most envied youth set ups in the world by motivating 16 year olds.

Certainly not, but is that what he is brought in to do? I thought his main role would be coaching our main squad (that's why I mentioned "not into the youth setup") in which there "should" be very few in need of serious skill training. I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about, but I for one will not bulge an inch (OK, maybe an inch) from the point that explicit skill is of little value without or compared to motivation. You will not even gain much skill without motivation. And if football's sole motivation is money, well, you reap what you sow.

I don't think that any of us want to see you bulge, SubZero, not even if it is just one inch.

Nope.

Di Matteo was already an established manager in his own right. He had also been a Chelsea player alongside Terry and Lampard. So, in two respects, he was a potential threat as much as he was a potential ally. Freund is an ex Spurs player but the only one he'll know is Ledley - who is unlikely to play much (if any) of a part as a player this season. And he has never been a senior manager.

Moreover, the whole situation at Spurs is so very different to that at Chelsea that I think it would be unwise to try to make comparisons.

Ive no doubt the situation at Spurs is different, and Im not saying Freund is a threat.

Just that it appeared at Chelsea RDM was forced upon him, and it appears here that Freund is a club man and not an AVB man. That doesnt sit entirely comfortably with me.

Ive no doubt the situation at Spurs is different, and Im not saying Freund is a threat.

Just that it appeared at Chelsea RDM was forced upon him, and it appears here that Freund is a club man and not an AVB man. That doesnt sit entirely comfortably with me.

Doesn't fit in with the insistence AVB had on complete autonomy, though. And I don't think Levy himself would repeat that mistake, considering what happened with RDM at Chelsea.

didnt we have a go at harry for bringing in his mates as coaches? what qualifications does steffen have?

didnt we have a go at harry for bringing in his mates as coaches? what qualifications does steffen have?

manager of the German U16 and U 17 teams where he was runner up in the Euro championships and 3rd place in the World Cup (youth)

assistant manager to Berti Vogts with Nigeria during the African Cup of Nations and was assistant manager to the German U 20 manager Frank Engel

has his Uefa coaching badges

This must be Jim Duggan of Topspurs worst nightmares all rolled into one

Harry the messiah sacked
AVB aka Ramos MK II as head coach
Return to dreaded DOF system with Tim 'Gooner Deadwood'
Steffen 'Fraud' as assistant

Hope someones keeping an eye on him.

Back