• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

To me, it looks like we had four players emerge from our youth ranks in 2008-2009, three in 2010-2011, and two in 2012-2013 (although both those players only 'emerged' last season, imo), with Kane emerging this season. It's a regression more than an improvement in the quantity of youth players coming through. And then you claim that all those players mentioned above 'emerged' in 14-15: none of them (none) have impressed either out on loan or in the first-team/Europa League games we've been in, and none have managed to step up to take some squad spaces in a year when half our side was effectively exiled by the manager. And yet these are the players you want to hand Poch as reinforcements next season? This is the 'Class of '92' reborn?

I don't disagree with you re giving Poch only academy options, he should be allowed to buy finished product where he sees fit.

But lets be clear, having 1 player a year make it at PL level would be an accomplishment for most systems, 9 in 3 years is borderline incredible .. no need to downplay that part of it.

If we can just offload the following shower of sh*te, we'd be making progress:

Defence: Chiriches, Vertonghen, Kaboul
Midfield: Paulinho, Dembele, Townsend, Lamela
Strikers: Soldado

Clearly, Capoue and Adebayor will be attempted to be sold, but I think both have a place.

Clearly, Capoue and Adebayor will be attempted to be sold, but I think both have a place.
I'd rather be shot of Ade and Capoue than most of those on your list. I can't see what place you would think Capoue has, nor Ade really. They've not really contributed this season at all.

I'd say Vertoghen, Lamela, Dembele and probably Townsend will still be here come the start of the season. All good squad players IMO who still have potential to be better. I'd say Soldado will be still here too because his confidence is in the toilet and no-one will want to buy him.

I don't think we should be pushing for the 18 year olds to be all pushed up just yet. Whilst they have shown glimpses of talent and should get a chance to train with the first team etc, they still need to be nursed for another couple of years before we throw them in. IMO it is a bit premature to be hyping up players like 2CV and KWP.

I'd rather be shot of Ade and Capoue than most of those on your list. I can't see what place you would think Capoue has, nor Ade really. They've not really contributed this season at all.

I'd say Vertoghen, Lamela, Dembele and probably Townsend will still be here come the start of the season. All good squad players IMO who still have potential to be better. I'd say Soldado will be still here too because his confidence is in the toilet and no-one will want to buy him.

Must go -> Kaboul, Ade, Capoue
Very surprised if more than 2 of Lamela, Dembele, Townsend & Paulinho are still here next season (arguments could be made for any of them, but not all of them, Poch needs to make some choices), if I had to bet, Lamela & Dembele stay.
Soldado - he's a proven goalscorer in Spain, be very surprised if someone wouldn't take a punt on him back in La Liga, fudge, they took back Torres
Vlad, has had interest before from other clubs, could easily see him going, especially if the Wimmer stuff is true.

Personally I still feel that Vertonghen is our best central defender and the only way he won't be staying is if he demands a move. Kaboul and Chiriches I agree with you on.

In midfield I would get rid of Capoue ahead of any of the players you mention, in fact I would get rid of Capoue ahead of any player to ever have played for Spurs..... Also of those you mention I think Paulinho is a cert to be sold, Dembele it seems the coach doesn't rate, so he is also likely to go. I think both of Lamela and Townsend will remain however(although I wouldn't shed any tears if either or both of them went).

Up front I agree that Soldado should be the first striker to depart the club, one of the worst centre forwards we have ever been unlucky enough to have at the club. Also while Adebayor is clearly a better player than Soldado, his attitude/mindset/high level of maintenance means that he also needs to go.

Must go -> Kaboul, Ade, Capoue
Very surprised if more than 2 of Lamela, Dembele, Townsend & Paulinho are still here next season (arguments could be made for any of them, but not all of them, Poch needs to make some choices), if I had to bet, Lamela & Dembele stay.
Soldado - he's a proven goalscorer in Spain, be very surprised if someone wouldn't take a punt on him back in La Liga, fudge, they took back Torres
Vlad, has had interest before from other clubs, could easily see him going, especially if the Wimmer stuff is true.

Well that's true. I think they'll be buying a different player than the one that left Spain but someone might take a chance. I feel sorry for Soldado as he was a great player who has been in a nose dive since he joined this club. If he had even managed to put away half of the easy chances he ended up missing (which is not that far a stretch really) we would be sat here typing something rather different. Anyway it's best for both parties if we part ways.

I thought Capoue showed some quality, in terms of breaking up the play and distribution. Saying that, at other times, he looked immobile and anonymous.

As for Adebayor, talent wise, I can't see us getting anyone better. Of course, if he's not able to sort himself out mentally, then he has to go.

Of course, neither have made a contribution this year - but that isn't to say they couldn't have.

Personally I still feel that Vertonghen is our best central defender and the only way he won't be staying is if he demands a move. Kaboul and Chiriches I agree with you on.

In midfield I would get rid of Capoue ahead of any of the players you mention, in fact I would get rid of Capoue ahead of any player to ever have played for Spurs..... Also of those you mention I think Paulinho is a cert to be sold, Dembele it seems the coach doesn't rate, so he is also likely to go. I think both of Lamela and Townsend will remain however(although I wouldn't shed any tears if either or both of them went).

Up front I agree that Soldado should be the first striker to depart the club, one of the worst centre forwards we have ever been unlucky enough to have at the club. Also while Adebayor is clearly a better player than Soldado, his attitude/mindset/high level of maintenance means that he also needs to go.

Really don't think Capoue is terrible! Agree on Soldado being appalling, mind.

I just don't see anything in Vertonghen - aside from some nice footwork at times when going forward. He's certainly not a defensive powerhouse, but equally not a 'sweet up' type of defender either. I would sell whilst his stock is relatively high.

Last edited:
With the players released, this is our squad:

GK

Lloris Hugo
Vorm Michel
McGee Luke Paul

DF

Chiriches Vlad Iulian
Davies Benjamin Thomas
Dier Eric Jeremy Edgar (born 94)
Fazio Federico
Fredericks Ryan
Hall Grant Terry
Kaboul Younes
Rose Daniel Lee
Vertonghen Jan
Walker Kyle Andrew
Wimmer Kevin
Yedlin DeAndre

MF

Alli Bamidele Jermaine (born 96)
Bentaleb Nabil (born 95)

Bezerra Maciel Junior Jose Paulo
Capoue Etienne
Carroll Thomas James
Chadli Nacer
Dembele Moussa
Eriksen Christian
Holtby Lewis Harry
Lamela Erik
Lennon Aaron
Mason Ryan Glen
McEvoy Kenneth (born 94)
Pritchard Alex David
Stambouli Benjamin
Townsend Andros
Veljkovic Milos (Extended) (born 95)

FW

Adebayor Emmanuel
Kane Harry
Coulthirst Shaquile Tyshan (Extended) (born 94)
Soldado Rillo Roberto

“Under 21 Player” means a Player under the age of 21 as at the 1st January in the year in which the Season concerned commences (i.e. for Season 2015/16 born on or after 1st January 1994)

That's 30 overage players if I'm counting correctly. I don't think players like McEvoy and Coulthirst will ever make it, but this is their last year as U21.

Spurs released goalkeepers Brad Friedel (who retired from competition to take up a broadcasting and Spurs Ambassador career), Jordan Archer, and Jonathan Miles. Defenders Bongani Khumalo, who only yesterday confirmed he was leaving the club through his agent, and Alexander McQueen, midfielder Cristian Ceballos, and right back Aaron McEneff were also released and will pursue their football elsewhere

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2015/6/10/8756757/tottenham-hotspur-release-friedel-archer-khumalo-miles-Ceballos

I'm sure I read somewhere that Coulthirst and McEvoy were being released. I always hoped Coulthirst would step up after some of the things said on here when he was coming through the system. Wasn't he part of that NextGen side that beat Barca on their own patch?

GK

Lloris Hugo
Vorm Michel
McGee Luke Paul (born 95)

DF

Alderweireld Toby
Carter-Vickers Cameron (born 97)
Chiriches Vlad Iulian
Davies Benjamin Thomas
Dier Eric Jeremy Edgar (born 94)
Fazio Federico
Fredericks Ryan
Hall Grant Terry
Kaboul Younes
Rose Daniel Lee
Trippier Kieran
Vertonghen Jan
Walker Kyle Andrew
Wimmer Kevin
Yedlin DeAndre

MF

Bentaleb Nabil (born 95)

Carroll Thomas James
Chadli Nacer
Dembele Moussa
Eriksen Christian
Lamela Erik
Lennon Aaron
Mason Ryan Glen
Pritchard Alex David
Stambouli Benjamin
Townsend Andros
Veljkovic Milos (born 95)

FW

Adebayor Emmanuel
Kane Harry
Soldado Rillo Roberto

“Under 21 Player” means a Player under the age of 21 as at the 1st January in the year in which the Season concerned commences (i.e. for Season 2015/16 born on or after 1st January 1994)

Now down to 28 overage players if I'm counting correctly, with 16 overseas (of a possible 17).

Don't expect Kaboul, Lennon or Ade to be named in any squad. If we could just shift a few more we finally have some spaces to play with.

I reckon we need to shift 8-9 more players, bring in 3, to leave a nice tight, but fit and versatile squad.

I reckon we need to shift 8-9 more players, bring in 3, to leave a nice tight, but fit and versatile squad.

Out - Chiriches, Kaboul, Hall, Fredericks, Carroll, Stambouli, Lennon, Ade, Bobby

That would be ideal, provided we brought in a new midfielder and attacking player. But we may have to settle for say 5 leaving, and 2 new players coming in and loan a few others.

GK

Lloris Hugo
Vorm Michel

McGee Luke Paul (born 95)

DF

Alderweireld Toby
Eric Dier
Fazio Federico
Danny Rose
Trippier Kieran
Vertonghen Jan
Walker Kyle Andrew

Wimmer Kevin
Yedlin DeAndre

MF

Bentaleb Nabil (born 95)

Chadli Nacer
Dembele Moussa
Eriksen Christian

Lamela Erik
Mason Ryan Glen
Pritchard Alex David
Townsend Andros
Veljkovic Milos (born 95)

FW

Kane Harry
Soldado Rillo Roberto

Cutting out the unlikely to be in squad, highlighted the players who have at least two full seasons of PL football.

Lack of experience (especially if Dembele goes), is a major weakness in this squad. 24 players .. 7 with two seasons .. major risk

Soldado Rose and Townsend all have two seasons experience in the league, Lamela has been here two years (if not two full seasons game time) and Bentaleb has a year and a half.

And we also know Trippier and Alderweireld can perform in this league

Soldado Rose and Townsend all have two seasons experience in the league, Lamela has been here two years (if not two full seasons game time) and Bentaleb has a year and a half.

And we also know Trippier and Alderweireld can perform in this league

Two seasons isn't a lot of experience, and less than a third of the squad (likely to be involved) has that ..

you set the criteria, i was just pointing out the ones you missed ;)

in terms of league experience, the only thing i would personally be concerned about with that is whether they have shown themselves capable in this league, 1 season or 5 to me is unimportant, what's concerning is when you buy several players who have to adapt to the league which we all know can cause problems. beyond that yes it would be nice to have some more experience in there, in terms of winning experience/older,wiser heads but if the manager wants to build a team centered around young hungry players i guess it's not something we are likely to see.

Back