• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

To be honest one of the things that is wrong with football today is that a lot of fans are obessed ( not saying you are)with formations and many good points are lost in the focus on them. At the end of the day its players ( and their strengths and weaknesses) that matter and the main problem with the two of Mason and Betaleb is that neither of them have the a good defensive awareness of tracking runners and leaving to much space behind them.

I agree that Paulinho is not a defensive player but the fact that he looked better doing it against Burnley then either Mason or Bentaleb did/have done says a lot about the problems we have there at the present time.

I appreciate the "not saying you are" addition to that as I really don't think I am obsessed with formations. I argued based on what you said, because you said we had "an extra man in there" which I saw as you referring to a change in formation? I then argued that it wasn't necessarily a change in formation and could be described with different numbers/names.

I agree that it's more about player strengths and weaknesses. Paulinho effectively replaced Townsend in the line-up giving us very different qualities.

I disagree that Paulinho looked better defensively than Mason and Bentaleb against Burnley. He did more to protect them and our team defensively than Townsend has recently though and that helped. In that somewhat more attacking role I think both Mason and Bentaleb would do just as well, if not better, than Paulinho defensively.

I appreciate the "not saying you are" addition to that as I really don't think I am obsessed with formations. I argued based on what you said, because you said we had "an extra man in there" which I saw as you referring to a change in formation? I then argued that it wasn't necessarily a change in formation and could be described with different numbers/names.

I agree that it's more about player strengths and weaknesses. Paulinho effectively replaced Townsend in the line-up giving us very different qualities.

I disagree that Paulinho looked better defensively than Mason and Bentaleb against Burnley. He did more to protect them and our team defensively than Townsend has recently though and that helped. In that somewhat more attacking role I think both Mason and Bentaleb would do just as well, if not better, than Paulinho defensively.

No problem mate, its just that the media, blogs , fans forums etc are full of talk about this formation/that formation that have brainwashed quite a few into believing that formations are the be all and end all of football when in all truth they are not.

As for me saying " a extra man in there" well it probably was not the way Poch planned it but because of the inability of Mason and Bentaleb to do the job and the way the game went Paulinho ended up spending much of his time " in there". However the fact that in my eyes (and others) I was at the game with , plus some on here Paulinho did a better job then the other two speaks volumes about why we have struggled to keep clean sheets. Now if that is the case ( and I believe it is) then just imagine what a better player ( then Paulinho) could do to improve our team in that part of the field.

No problem mate, its just that the media, blogs , fans forums etc are full of talk about this formation/that formation that have brainwashed quite a few into believing that formations are the be all and end all of football when in all truth they are not.

As for me saying " a extra man in there" well it probably was not the way Poch planned it but because of the inability of Mason and Bentaleb to do the job and the way the game went Paulinho ended up spending much of his time " in there". However the fact that in my eyes (and others) I was at the game with , plus some on here Paulinho did a better job then the other two speaks volumes about why we have struggled to keep clean sheets. Now if that is the case ( and I believe it is) then just imagine what a better player ( then Paulinho) could do to improve our team in that part of the field.

I agree. The focus on formations seems utterly simplistic to me too. It's a factor, but just one of many.

When Paulinho has played in one of the deeper midfield roles he hasn't looked any better defensively than Bentaleb to me, possibly no better than Mason either. I agree he's not outstanding defensively, but he did his job fairly diligently ball and often that's enough from the more attacking players. That's what's been missing from Townsend and to an extent Chadli imo. That's what's made the job very difficult for Mason and Bentaleb. That job was easier against Burnley and we did better.

Edit: But I also thought we looked better defensively with Lamela instead of Townsend. And when Chadli hasn't been as absent defensively as he's been at his worst, Burnley game was decent from him in that regard I thought.

Thoughts? idea is to concede less, while still looking at adding creativity/options

- Lloris
- Walker - Dier/new CB - Vert - Rose
- MS/new DM
- Lennon - Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli/new LW
- Kane

One change in personnel (add DM) and you have a lot more attacking, yet better back 4 coverage (4-1-4-1)
Swap one of Lennon/Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli for Bentaleb and you go even more protective (4-2-3-1)
Have new LW & Lennon and you have the option to switch from crowded inverted winger midfielder to a width model
Add a new first choice CB and have Dier as cover/cup player (give him more development time) and even better

Buy MS, CB, LW = assuming we bought the CB already (rumours re Wimmer), 30-35M
Sell Soldado, Ade, Paulinho, Townsend, Capoue, Kaboul, Holtby and you might even make a profit.
Pritchard, Alli, etc to add to squad depth, cup team

Lloris-Vorm-McGee

Walker-Yedlin
Verts-Dier
Fazio-Wimmer
Rose-Davies

Mason-Alli
Bentaleb-Stambouli

Lamela-Townsend
Eriksen-Pritchard
Ayew-Chadli

Kane-Ings

Would be a 25 I'd be happy with.

That's 3 ins (total cost about £10m, as 2 are out of contract) and about 13 outs (lots of money towards the stadium).

Lloris-Vorm-McGee

Walker-Yedlin
Verts-Dier
Fazio-Wimmer
Rose-Davies

Mason-Alli
Bentaleb-Stambouli

Lamela-Townsend
Eriksen-Pritchard
Ayew-Chadli

Kane-Ings

That's 3 ins (total cost about £10m, as 2 are out of contract) and about 13 outs (lots of money towards the stadium).

Still very light defensively in that midfield, likely to have a lot of the same problems we had this season.

Poch is a stubborn bastard, but think he/club needs to invest in a decent DM

Stadium was always budgeted separately from squad, with the outs and wages freed up, we should be able to buy a good 15-25M DM (or more DM minded player)

Still very light defensively in that midfield, likely to have a lot of the same problems we had this season.

Poch is a stubborn bastard, but think he/club needs to invest in a decent DM

Stadium was always budgeted separately from squad, with the outs and wages freed up, we should be able to buy a good 15-25M DM (or more DM minded player)

I was kind of hoping that Stambouli will be more up-to-speed next season.

Against the better sides I'd like to see us go 4-3-3 and use him sometimes instead of Eriksen (with Mason becoming the advanced one of the trio).

I just think with the stadium, the more we pay upfront, the fewer years we will be servicing debts. Like paying getting a 30% mortgage rather than a 80% one. I think that's what we've been doing over the past 7 years since we stopped spend on transfers. c.£200m of the c.£450m cost (land acquisition and groundwork) has already been paid and we are still debt free. Imagine if we could knock another £50m off and still strength our squad (with Ings, Ayew etc.)

I was kind of hoping that Stambouli will be more up-to-speed next season.

Against the better sides I'd like to see us go 4-3-3 and use him sometimes instead of Eriksen (with Mason becoming the advanced one of the trio).

I just think with the stadium, the more we pay upfront, the fewer years we will be servicing debts. Like paying getting a 30% mortgage rather than a 80% one. I think that's what we've been doing over the past 7 years since we stopped spend on transfers. c.£200m of the c.£450m cost (land acquisition and groundwork) has already been paid and we are still debt free. Imagine if we could knock another £50m off and still strength our squad (with Ings, Ayew etc.)

I honestly think the stadium will be helped by sponsorship deals, new tv rights far more than income from players sales (the stadium was planned/budgeted for with much smaller tv/sponsorship deals in mind), I also expect Levy to do something smart like the NFL thing.

Goal would likely be net zero spend (as it consistently has been), we really haven't been pocketing players sales, usually goes to new players.

Wimmer, Ayew, MS could still be done with us in the profit (Soldado, Ade, Kaboul, Capoue, Holtby, Vlad, maybe Lennon, at even 5M average = 35M, add in wages off its a bit of money)

I honestly think the stadium will be helped by sponsorship deals, new tv rights far more than income from players sales (the stadium was planned/budgeted for with much smaller tv/sponsorship deals in mind), I also expect Levy to do something smart like the NFL thing.

Goal would likely be net zero spend (as it consistently has been), we really haven't been pocketing players sales, usually goes to new players.

Wimmer, Ayew, MS could still be done with us in the profit (Soldado, Ade, Kaboul, Capoue, Holtby, Vlad, maybe Lennon, at even 5M average = 35M, add in wages off its a bit of money)

I'm not sure about Schneiderlin. I think he's out of our league. Levy's said again recently that £15m players are our market. We're not going to pay £25m for him, and he's not going to choose us over Arsenal. I also don't think he's that much better than Mason (just two years more developed).

I wouldn't mind offering Cambiasso a final payday if we really want an experienced DM in the squad. He's an old teammate of Poch's isn't he?

I'm not sure about Schneiderlin. I think he's out of our league. Levy's said again recently that £15m players are our market. We're not going to pay £25m for him, and he's not going to choose us over Arsenal. I also don't think he's that much better than Mason (just two years more developed).

I wouldn't mind offering Cambiasso a final payday if we really want an experienced DM in the squad. He's an old teammate of Poch's isn't he?

I thought MS was done .. but a lot of the recent media rumours seem to indicate Arsenal have cooled on him, this is his year to get out, make that next step and SCBC know they either let him go (he did his carry them one more year) or he'll ride down contract. I could see us going a little above comfort (maybe 20M) for him.

Cambiasso would have been a good buy last year .. was surprised someone a little higher up didn't go for him. Bentaleb/Mason could have benefitted.

Lloris-Vorm-McGee

Walker-Yedlin
Verts-Dier
Fazio-Wimmer
Rose-Davies

Mason-Alli
Bentaleb-Stambouli

Lamela-Townsend
Eriksen-Pritchard
Ayew-Chadli

Kane-Ings

I don't think you're far away from what will happen, but you might be underestimating Levy's desire to demonstrate support for Pochettino. Not saying he's going to have a massive net spend or anything, but I do think anything we earn from player sales will be reinvested in the squad (and I think we'll be selling a fair few, so there will be a bit of money there).

In defence, I wouldn't be Fazio's biggest fan. I'm aware his stats are excellent in some areas, but he still seems a little bit more error-prone than I'd like in a central defender. But if Wimmer is as good as we're hoping, then I guess a Vertonghen / Wimmer first-choice with Fazio and Dier as backup isn't too bad.

I don't think the central midfield you describe is solid enough. Alli might be ready for the step up or he might not, and I'm not nearly as confident in Mason as you are. If the rumours are true about Stambouli being out of favour and on his way back to France, then I think we should bring in a top quality central midfielder. I don't have any names to put forward, but it wouldn't surprise me if Levy demonstrates his commitment to Poch this summer by bringing in Schneiderlin (sure he'll cost a pretty penny, but I think we'll make a bit of money this summer from outgoings - Capoue + Stambouli + Paulinho = Schneiderlin?). I'd be happy enough with a first choice central midfield of Schneiderlin and Bentaleb; with Mason and Alli pushing for a place (and maybe Veljkovic getting some time in midfield during the early stages of the Europa League).

Personally I don't want Townsend here next season. I don't have anything against the guy, and I think he tries his hardest, but just like Soldado (who also gives his all and who I so wanted to do well) I'm not convinced he's going to be a success at Spurs. I agree with you about Ayew - he looks gettable (and good enough). However I don't want to see Dembele leave (though I'm pretty sure he will) and I'd like to see him utilised further forward.

In terms of strikers. I wouldn't like to see us start the season with less than three. With just Ings brought in to replace Adebayor and Soldado, an injury to either him or Kane would scupper our ability to compete in all competitions. Someone like Callum Wilson of Bournemouth would be a decent backup; picking up game-time in the Europa League and as a late sub in premier league games.

So that makes 24...

Lloris - Vorm - McGee

Walker - Yedlin

Vertonghen - Wimmer
(Fazio - Dier)

Rose - Davies

Schneiderlin - Bentaleb
(Mason - Alli)

Ayew - Eriksen - Chadli
(Lamela - Pritchard - Dembele)

Kane - Ings - Callum Wilson

Plus one other to make up 25... preferably a veteran player with some success under his belt, willing at this stage of his career to spend time on the bench offering the benefit of his experience to the younger players, while at the same time providing leadership when required on the pitch.

I thought MS was done .. but a lot of the recent media rumours seem to indicate Arsenal have cooled on him, this is his year to get out, make that next step and SCBC know they either let him go (he did his carry them one more year) or he'll ride down contract. I could see us going a little above comfort (maybe 20M) for him.

Cambiasso would have been a good buy last year .. was surprised someone a little higher up didn't go for him. Bentaleb/Mason could have benefitted.

i wonder how genuine Southamptons rumored interest in Townsend and Stambouli was - could help play a part in bringing Schneiderlin here...

i know swap deals rarely occur but something similar to the Sigurdsson/Davies Vorm deal could be a realistic option - sell us MS for your headline 25-30m fee and we'll sell you those two for a similar price

We need a deep-lying playmaker, in the mold of a Modric, preferably in place of Mason. At the moment we are a little too erratic in our build-up, we require a player in the middle that is capable of controlling and dictating play to the tempo that we desire to play at. Not only will we become more consistent in our attacking play with someone that is capable of dictating play but it will also help us out defensively. Retaining possession is the most effective form of defence and at the moment we are unable to control games in a comfortable manner and that in-turn invites pressure.

We also need another AM, Konoplyanka would be the player i'd look to bring in. Was watching Napoli v Dnipro the other night and he was as superb against Napoli as he was against us. Each occasion he received the ball he had the Napoli defenders in knots. He is the type of player that we need, someone that has the ability to take players on, add some trickery and drive play forward. He also has an end product, both in terms of goals and assists.

Last edited:
Despite a lot of players being up for sale, I wouldn't be upset if we don't sell a lot. Getting Ade, Capoue, say Chiriches off the books will free up a serious amount of cash. If we stay flexible, with a 'sell at the right price' list then we could have a relatively stable team next season, as well as raise a decent amount of capital.

3 new players to improve the first team would be ideal. How many do you think we need to sell of the current crop?

Lloris-Vorm-McGee

Walker-Yedlin
Verts-Dier
Fazio-Wimmer
Rose-Davies

Mason-Alli
Bentaleb-Stambouli

Lamela-Townsend
Eriksen-Pritchard
Ayew-Chadli

Kane-Ings

Dont think that is a million miles off what we will see, however i suspect the RW issue to be resolved with a new addition who can provide better support, its been the creation of a lot of our issues IMO. Also think we may get Schneirderlin, mainly as not sure anybody else will go in for him. Will be a maximum of 4-6 incoming.

Despite a lot of players being up for sale, I wouldn't be upset if we don't sell a lot. Getting Ade, Capoue, say Chiriches off the books will free up a serious amount of cash. If we stay flexible, with a 'sell at the right price' list then we could have a relatively stable team next season, as well as raise a decent amount of capital.

3 new players to improve the first team would be ideal. How many do you think we need to sell of the current crop?
Adebayor, Soldado, Chiriches, Kaboul and Capoue all need to go no matter what. So that's 5 straight away.
Then there are Holtby and Lennon out on loan and one assumes not part of the manager's plans - that makes 7.
After that there are Stambouli and Paulinho who have been used extremely sparingly - that makes 9.
It seems that Pochettino isn't too enamoured with Dembele - so that could be 10..... and if not him then I would imagine Tom Carroll will be allowed to move on.

Assuming that all went - one would assume transfer fees (trying to be realistic) and wage saving similar to the below (I have also added the player that replaces the outgoing player in the first team squad:

Adebayor - free. £100k (replacement needs to be purchased)
Soldado - £8M. £60k (replacement needs to be purchased)
Chiriches - £5M. £40k (replaced by Wimmer - £4M)
Kaboul - £2M. £40k (replaced by Velkovic - £0)
Capoue - £6M. £40k (replaced by Alli - £5M)
Holtby - £5M. £40k (although I appreciate the club were not paying his wages this season) (no need to replace)
Lennon - £8M. £40k (as above). (no need to replace)
Stambouli - £5M. £30k. (replacement needs to be purchased)
Paulinho - £8M. £40k (replaced by Pritchard - £0)
Dembele - £10M. £50k (replacement needs to be purchased)
Carroll - £6M. £20k (no need to replace).

That's over £60 million of transfer fees and over £400k a week saved in wages. I appreciate that it doesn't quite work like that with agents fees having to be paid and also players being eligible to receive the remaining instalments of their loyalty bonuses, etc - but it is still a considerable amount.
So if we want to retain a similarly sized big squad to have a go in the league and all Cup competitions, then we'd need to acquire replacements for: Ade, Soldado, Stambouli and Dembele.
How about
Berahino (£14M)
Gignac (free)
Schneiderlin (£22M)
Ayew/Konoplyanka (free)

As I've said before many times I'd also be more than happy for the club to put out a good offer for Milner to come in on a free, as I think he would add experience to our young team.

I'd like to lose about 10 players net (say 13 out, 3 in). Our squad is obscenely big, and we need to make room for the likes of Alli and Pritchard.

We need a deep-lying playmaker, in the mold of a Modric, preferably in place of Mason. At the moment we are a little too erratic in our build-up, we require a player in the middle that is capable of controlling and dictating play to the tempo that we desire to play at. Not only will we become more consistent in our attacking play with someone that is capable of dictating play but it will also help us out defensively. Retaining possession is the best form of defence and at the moment we are unable of controlling games in a comfortable manner and that in-turn invites pressure back on to us.

We also need another AM, Konoplyanka would be the player i'd look to bring in. Was watching Napoli v Dnipro the other night and he was as superb against Napoli as he was against us. Each occasion he received the ball he had the Napoli defenders in knots. He is the type of player that we need, someone that has the ability to take players on, add some trickery and drive play forward. He also has an end product, both in terms of goals and assists.

I was going to ask had anybody watched that match and how Konoplyanka had done. I think he would be a good option now Depay is off the table. Chadli is decent enough if a little inconsistent. I think Chadli has it in him to step up to another level but even with that I think we have to increase our attacking options down that side.

What is Konoplyanka's work rate and defensive contribution like? These aspects are often ignored when watching other clubs, the positive contributions being highlighted instead (unlike Spurs matches where it's all about the negatives) .

Back