• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

That’s not interesting
That shows a flaw in the system clearly
The only thing I can assume is you cannot make an error if your not in the right position make an error
So by playing out of position in the wrong place he can’t make direct errors leading to goals
Sometimes you just have to trust what you see with your own eyes. It’s patently obvious to anyone with half an eye for a footballer that this guy is sub standard. He’s had 1 or 2 good games but far more terrible games and too many errors generally. His much vaunted attacking ability is hit and miss at best as well.

but no, he did a few foul throws a while ago and everyone is still holding that against him apparently!

Sometimes you just have to trust what you see with your own eyes. It’s patently obvious to anyone with half an eye for a footballer that this guy is sub standard. He’s had 1 or 2 good games but far more terrible games and too many errors generally. His much vaunted attacking ability is hit and miss at best as well.

but no, he did a few foul throws a while ago and everyone is still holding that against him apparently!

Its may fault as when someone raised his assist stats for this season I countered with his foul throws, OG's, penalties, red cards, mistakes etc...

The WhoScored stats are generally good for midfielders and attackers, but crap for defenders.

Years ago, when GG did player ratings after every match, some helpful poster did an average rating across the season for every player. I then compared those ratings to the WhoScored ratings, and the correlation was extremely high for midfielders and attackers. So I think those ratings can be seen as a decent indicator of a player’s performance across a large number of games (just not for defenders unfortunately).

The WhoScored stats are generally good for midfielders and attackers, but crap for defenders.

Years ago, when GG did player ratings after every match, some helpful poster did an average rating across the season for every player. I then compared those ratings to the WhoScored ratings, and the correlation was extremely high for midfielders and attackers. So I think those ratings can be seen as a decent indicator of a player’s performance across a large number of games (just not for defenders unfortunately).
Top defenders rated in the top 50 players on whoscored.com for PL games this season:

1. Ricardo Pereira. 7.57
2. Trent Alexander Arnold. 7.42
3. Virgil Van Dijk. 7.37
4. Aurier. 7.24
5. Andrew Robertson. 7.21
6. Aaron Wan Bissaka. 7.12
7. Caglar Soyuncu. 7.10
8. James Tarkowski. 7.07

The others in that list all look like they belong there? Perhaps the specific things measured suit Aurier? Or perhaps some of the player's performances in prior seasons or even in the CL games is clouding their judgement somewhat?

Top defenders rated in the top 50 players on whoscored.com for PL games this season:

1. Ricardo Pereira. 7.57
2. Trent Alexander Arnold. 7.42
3. Virgil Van Dijk. 7.37
4. Aurier. 7.24
5. Andrew Robertson. 7.21
6. Aaron Wan Bissaka. 7.12
7. Caglar Soyuncu. 7.10
8. James Tarkowski. 7.07

The others in that list all look like they belong there? Perhaps the specific things measured suit Aurier? Or perhaps some of the player's performances in prior seasons or even in the CL games is clouding their judgement somewhat?

5 attacking full-backs, and DvD (who is a big threat from set pieces)...wonder whether they arent placing enough emphasis on defending which, you know, defenders are kind of meant to do (apologies for being a bit old school)

5 attacking full-backs, and DvD (who is a big threat from set pieces)...wonder whether they arent placing enough emphasis on defending which, you know, defenders are kind of meant to do (apologies for being a bit old school)

Defending is just so 2018!

The stats won't pick up things like Aurier being played as a bad winger. Or jogging back at half pace. Or waiting to see what might happen, before deciding to get into position.

I think the numbers are just a blend of both attacking and defensive contributions no matter where the player plays.

The stats won't pick up things like Aurier being played as a bad winger. Or jogging back at half pace. Or waiting to see what might happen, before deciding to get into position.
No it will pick up goals, shots, offsides, assists, pass completion, chance creation, dribbles past opponent, being dribbled past by opponent, tackles won/lost, interceptions, clearances, blocks, headers won/lost, fouls gained/conceded, instances of poor control, instances of being dispossessed, own goals, yellow and red cards and I think there is also some points for MoTM performance as well although I don't know on what basis (Aurier doesn't have any of these anyway).

If Aurier was failing to get into the position that Mourinho wanted him to be in then (be it through jogging back at half pace or seeing what might happen before deciding to get in position) then I am pretty confident that our manager (who love him or hate him has to be acknowledged as one of the games tacticians) would sub him off and/or drop him for the next game.

As an example of where I think a bit of prior bias comes into things. I couldn't believe that nobody had nominated Aurier for our MoTM in the GHod awful performance away to Southampton (as I said in the match thread). I thought he was head and shoulders our best player in that game.... I just looked at whoscored.com and saw that the statistics also indicated this with him getting 7.95 which was way higher than any other player for us. He was up against Djenepo, who is a good, skilfull player, yet he couldn't get any change at all out of Aurier.

For the record, Eric Dier is rated our 14th best player this season, just a bit worse than Sissoko and Sanchez.... whoscored pretty accurate there I’d say.

Difficult to say how much Dier's crap performance are due to the lingering side effects of his operation and then illness last summer. He's a player I like, but he's been very poor this year. Hasn't imposed himself on games at all

Difficult to say how much Dier's crap performance are due to the lingering side effects of his operation and then illness last summer. He's a player I like, but he's been very poor this year. Hasn't imposed himself on games at all
I can't help but wonder whether he would be better off having the whole season off to try to recover properly and then hit pre-season training hard next time?

I can't help but wonder whether he would be better off having the whole season off to try to recover properly and then hit pre-season training hard next time?
Agreed, and perhaps had Wanyama not been knackered or us have another DM then we would have done, or would have eased him back in more slowly

Back