• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Jose will like him going forward! But won’t rely on him defending imho

Pretty much i guess that is the situation. As i said he is 27 now and i am not sure you can get those bad habits coached out of his game. Sad really because as i have said he has talent.

Shifting him out and Aarons in for somewhere around the same fee would be a great pair of deals to do!

Aarons is much younger, English (so helps in European competitions) and much more scope to improve than Aurier. With Aurier, its difficult to see him improving much or his value increasing and he's only a few more roosters ups away from us only being able to shift him for a much reduced price

Ok, here are some facts, which in part I've shamelessly stolen from @thfcsi on twitter.

Most of the criticism Aurier is faced with is for being reckless and lacking concentration, with some calling him a "walking red card" or "penalty waiting to happen". I think it's time someone took a look at the validity of those claims.

Since joining Tottenham in the summer of 2017, Aurier has only missed three games due to suspension, two in the Premier League and one in the Champions League.
The Champions League suspension was after a yellow card in the first leg of our Round of 16 match against Juventus. For the record, it only takes 3 yellow cards to get a suspension in the UCL, meaning he'd only picked up three card total in the first 7 games of the competition.

Both of his Premier League suspensions were indirect red cards, or after picking up two yellow cards in a single match. The first of these came less than a month into his Spurs career in a derby against West Ham.
The second didn't come until this season, in a game against Southampton in September, and was also a highly unfair sending off, for a blatant dive by the Southampton player. This was only the second time he'd ever been shown a red card in a match while playing for us, neither of which were direct. Despite this he's had this reputation of recklessness for years.

As for yellow cards, Aurier picked up just a single yellow card since his indirect red card in september. This one also came against Southampton, who happen to have the second best record in the league over the last five games, level with Watford on 13 points from 15 available. There's no doubt Aurier is a player that makes quite a few fouls, but still the total amount is way overstated. This season, counting only players who have played 500 minutes or more in the PL, Aurier is 7th for total fouls per 90. Lower the threshold to 350 minutes and he's 9th.

Using the parameters above, no Spurs player attempts nor completes as many tackles per 90 than Aurier, coming in at 4,4 and 3,3 respectively, with a success rate at a little over 77%. In fact, he's 10th in the Premier League as a whole for successful tackles/90. More of the same for interceptions... He finishes above anyone else in the Spurs squad, and 22nd in the league as a whole, with most players ahead of him being ball-winning midfielders, Kanté and Ndidi among them.

I'm tired of writing "per 90" after every stat, so unless I say otherwise just assume I'm talking about per 90 stats and minimum 500 minutes played.

Now let's take a look at his offensive output, shall we? Aurier averages 1,7 successfull dribbles, beaten only by three attackers plus Ndombele. League-wise, he's 5th for all defenders.
For key passes, he's again only beaten by attackers and Ndombele, coming in at 1,2. Lastly, his 3 league assists in total are second only to Sonny in our squad.

I hope at least some Aurier skeptics might have had their head turned at least a little bit. All match stats used are from WhoScored, and injury/suspension data from Transfermarkt.

Weird how the narrative shifts around players.

Aurier hasnt changed. He still has the same fundamental weakness, he is massively inconsistent.

Since he joined right up to early this season I was always supportive of him, praising his audacity, promoting his obvious potential, and always saying "if he can just get a run of games..." in the hope he could iron out his clear ups and downs in game.

Since when though, Ive come to the conclusion he just wont.

At either end of the field he can be both sublime and ridiculous, and you just dont know which it will be in any given situation.

For a defender thats criminal. And for an attacker, more forgivable perhaps, but still hardly something to over look.

Time to move on from him.

Ok, here are some facts, which in part I've shamelessly stolen from @thfcsi on twitter.

Most of the criticism Aurier is faced with is for being reckless and lacking concentration, with some calling him a "walking red card" or "penalty waiting to happen". I think it's time someone took a look at the validity of those claims.

Since joining Tottenham in the summer of 2017, Aurier has only missed three games due to suspension, two in the Premier League and one in the Champions League.
The Champions League suspension was after a yellow card in the first leg of our Round of 16 match against Juventus. For the record, it only takes 3 yellow cards to get a suspension in the UCL, meaning he'd only picked up three card total in the first 7 games of the competition.

Both of his Premier League suspensions were indirect red cards, or after picking up two yellow cards in a single match. The first of these came less than a month into his Spurs career in a derby against West Ham.
The second didn't come until this season, in a game against Southampton in September, and was also a highly unfair sending off, for a blatant dive by the Southampton player. This was only the second time he'd ever been shown a red card in a match while playing for us, neither of which were direct. Despite this he's had this reputation of recklessness for years.

As for yellow cards, Aurier picked up just a single yellow card since his indirect red card in september. This one also came against Southampton, who happen to have the second best record in the league over the last five games, level with Watford on 13 points from 15 available. There's no doubt Aurier is a player that makes quite a few fouls, but still the total amount is way overstated. This season, counting only players who have played 500 minutes or more in the PL, Aurier is 7th for total fouls per 90. Lower the threshold to 350 minutes and he's 9th.

Using the parameters above, no Spurs player attempts nor completes as many tackles per 90 than Aurier, coming in at 4,4 and 3,3 respectively, with a success rate at a little over 77%. In fact, he's 10th in the Premier League as a whole for successful tackles/90. More of the same for interceptions... He finishes above anyone else in the Spurs squad, and 22nd in the league as a whole, with most players ahead of him being ball-winning midfielders, Kanté and Ndidi among them.

I'm tired of writing "per 90" after every stat, so unless I say otherwise just assume I'm talking about per 90 stats and minimum 500 minutes played.

Now let's take a look at his offensive output, shall we? Aurier averages 1,7 successfull dribbles, beaten only by three attackers plus Ndombele. League-wise, he's 5th for all defenders.
For key passes, he's again only beaten by attackers and Ndombele, coming in at 1,2. Lastly, his 3 league assists in total are second only to Sonny in our squad.

I hope at least some Aurier skeptics might have had their head turned at least a little bit. All match stats used are from WhoScored, and injury/suspension data from Transfermarkt.

The criticism of him isn't that he is a red card waiting to happen. It's that he regularly switches off and loses his man.

I dont think its biases at all.

I think, objectively, he is all over the place.

Put it this way, watching him play, there is never any confidence in him doing even the basics right. Because its 50/50 between him making a clean tackle or stupid foul, or between a decent cross and one that hits row z...

Of course no player is 100% consistent and reliable. But they do operate within a certain margin, the upper/lower range is reasonable.

Aurier? Its literally rock bottom or absolute heights and little in between.

Interesting and as i expected.

As I said before; many people's opinions on Aurier were formed prior to this season and it is hard for people to change their first impressions, that is just a human trait. It happened with Sissoko as well, who went from terrible to OK. Yet it took lots of us time to realise and admit that, with some stubborn types never being able to do so.

Aurier is now a far better player for us than he was in his first season. I think some of the people on here who slate him actually fail to understand the system that Mourinho is playing and what the coach is asking the player to do. The fact that Mourinho has made him his clear first choice on the right backs this up somewhat.

The criticism of him isn't that he is a red card waiting to happen. It's that he regularly switches off and loses his man.
I'm not sure that is actually particularly true though. He certainly loses his man far less than (e.g.) Son or Moura do when we're defending and yet these two are pretty much never called out on it. For Liverpool's goal at the weekend I think it was Harry Winks that lost his man but that doesn't automatically make him a player that is prone to doing this.

I'm not sure that is actually particularly true though. He certainly loses his man far less than (e.g.) Son or Moura do when we're defending and yet these two are pretty much never called out on it. For Liverpool's goal at the weekend I think it was Harry Winks that lost his man but that doesn't automatically make him a player that is prone to doing this.

I think that you are stretching a bit here. He's a defender who is prone to switching off and is slow to recover when he does so. We have consistently had a problem down that side this season, particularly in the big games. That doesn't mean that he is solely responsible for goals scored against us or that he is the only player that we have that switches off but we could go a long way to improving the team by replacing him. The fact that we are consistently having to come up with lopsided formations, to cover his weaknesses, should tell you everything and isn't sustainable if we want to improve.

Interesting and as i expected.

As I said before; many people's opinions on Aurier were formed prior to this season and it is hard for people to change their first impressions, that is just a human trait. It happened with Sissoko as well, who went from terrible to OK. Yet it took lots of us time to realise and admit that, with some stubborn types never being able to do so.

Aurier is now a far better player for us than he was in his first season. I think some of the people on here who slate him actually fail to understand the system that Mourinho is playing and what the coach is asking the player to do. The fact that Mourinho has made him his clear first choice on the right backs this up somewhat.

Watch Aurier in this clip, of Rashford's goal against us:

That is the kind of mind-boggling lack of awareness/concentration/effort that makes me think he is a bad defender. It's nothing to do with system - Mourinho has just said himself that his plan was to play with 3 at the back in possession, but 4 at the back when not in possession. In that clip Aurier should be playing as a right-back and tracking his man - it's schoolboy stuff what he does instead, and bizarre to see.

I think most people agree that he has physical and technical talent, and I think that makes it all the more frustrating that he is capable of awful moments such as that.

Back