• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I agree. Didn't mean to point the finger solely at Mason in that respect

That's cool

I think we as fans his tidally single out certain players

A mate of mine was moaning afterwards that it was Ben Davies fault and he should never play in the league again... And I had to remind him that two weeks ago he was exceptional vs Watford

From what I've seen of the game they were all tinkle poor including ever reliable players like Toby and Hugo

What we have to do is get over it quickly and the players more so as we have a bigger game Saturday and another chance to go top

Mason made 8 successful tackles tonight. Dier, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela and Kane made 6 between.
He also was the only one of our players bar the centre halfs (who has more space on the ball) who ended the game with a decent passing accuracy percentage.
It was a night were we needed to keep the ball a lot more than we were doing on a horrible pitch against a pressing team.
He was the only one that attempted to do that.

I think Mason struggled awfully in the opening minutes when we were being harassed.

We needed someone to put their foot on the ball and dictate play, Mason usually does this but he was invisible for most of the opening half.
He was the one that most clearly couldn't handle the pressure - Chadli aside of course.

He seemed to improve a lot in the second half, but so did the entire team.

For a Spurs CM, he wasnt there IMHO offensively and defensively especially in such an important role. It might not be his fault though. I remember a Lamela breakaway (i think) where Mason was through on his right and he didnt pass to him. But then my memory may be bad as it deletes every memory of that awful match last night.

Mason made 8 successful tackles tonight. Dier, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela and Kane made 6 between.
He also was the only one of our players bar the centre halfs (who has more space on the ball) who ended the game with a decent passing accuracy percentage.
It was a night were we needed to keep the ball a lot more than we were doing on a horrible pitch against a pressing team.

It's amazing how people see the game and highlight a performance, particularly weaknesses in someone's game... Yet the stats show the opposite

I think we need to write the game off for all its worth now and move on, simple as

Not one Spurs player played at anything near to 50% of how they can from what I saw so there ALL culpurable and all will need to get back to normal for Saturday

Agreed. I was there last night and Mason was one of the few who could hold his head high I thought. The rest of them didn't look up for the battle and compounded to that they didn't have the nerve/skill to try to play good football against a very physical, strong, energetic West Ham team.

Not a single positive can come out of yesterday's first half performance but to single out Mason is harsh imo.

You can not under estimate how much we missed Dembele last night and that's not me having a go at Mason.

Nights like last night, you need power to almost smash your way to a result and last night we got bullied in midfield, early doors set the tone. Yaya Toure, Roy Keane, Vieria, Chelsea's whole spine. There is no coninsidence that these successful teams no how to go to tough places and grind it out.

Don't forget, the squad is in progress still, Id happily see Mason and Benteleb sold (unpopular with some I know) and replaced with some more quality in midfield to go with Dier and Dembele so when we want to make changes, it has little impact.

Its about playing a role in the system under Poch, not about your individual talents, and Mason and Benteleb are talented, very talented! But maybe the system is looking for other things.

You can not under estimate how much we missed Dembele last night and that's not me having a go at Mason.

Nights like last night, you need power to almost smash your way to a result and last night we got bullied in midfield, early doors set the tone. Yaya Toure, Roy Keane, Vieria, Chelsea's whole spine. There is no coninsidence that these successful teams no how to go to tough places and grind it out.

Don't forget, the squad is in progress still, Id happily see Mason and Benteleb sold (unpopular with some I know) and replaced with some more quality in midfield to go with Dier and Dembele so when we want to make changes, it has little impact.

Its about playing a role in the system under Poch, not about your individual talents, and Mason and Benteleb are talented, very talented! But maybe the system is looking for other things.
It is very rare that we will come up against a team as pumped up as West Ham were in the first half last night. Also in usual circumstances we would have all three of Dier, Dembele and Alli to match their physicality. Bentaleb seems to have dropped a little from the standards he set over the past 18 months or so. However that can sometimes happen with a young player and, if he applies himself properly, then he will probably surpass those levels. Mason also has done well for Spurs and I think you need players like that in the squad, who are prepared to take a squad role and play in different positions. Fergusson at Man Utd always had these sorts of players at Man Utd throughout their period of dominance.

To be honest I am not a big fan of Mason and I am still not convinced he is worthy of a regular place in the team ( when everyone is fit). However he was no worse then most of our players were last night and its unfair to put the focus on him.

IMO that was the worst game we have played this season and so many of our players did not perform to their best, I have heard all the excuses from some fans at the game that it was the pitch, the ref, the weather etc etc but in all honesty we did not turn up and that happens sometimes.

Weren't West Ham effectively playing 6 across midfield, with 3 CBs and only 1 CF?
They played something like a 3-4-3. Eminike was clearly instructed to press Lloris to stop us building from the back. He also worked hard to close down our two centre halves. Payet and Lanzini also worked hard right across our back 4 with the same purpose. Their two wide midfielders/wing backs then pushed up on our full backs to stop them getting forward.

Not having Dembele was a huge blow for us. He would've given us a perfect outlet to play through their press, all it would've taken is for him to have received the ball and beat the initial tackle (as he is so good at doing) and having done that there would've been lots of space for our attacking midfield three to operate in.

We turned down an offer from Bournemouth this week apparently not sure if reported?

Yeah it was in the Standard i think.
I hope it was turned down because we want to keep him and not because we want more money; imo we'll need him big time next season...

Back