• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Thanks Roy - appreciate the updates

Do you know if this means he might not need the op in the summer now, or is that inevitable?

It will almost certainly need operating on at some point. I don't think Poch wants him to have an OP before the summer as were challenging on 3 fronts and we need options.

I always think this is one of the things people overlook when they think about the wonderful life professional football players have. While I'm sure there is a lot of good stuff, not least being able to earn a good living from doing something that you enjoy, a lot of footballers have to endure numerous operations, scans, anesthesia, injections, physio and rehab. Coupled with all the ongoing wear and tear, it must take its toll mentally and physically.

I always think this is one of the things people overlook when they think about the wonderful life professional football players have. While I'm sure there is a lot of good stuff, not least being able to earn a good living from doing something that you enjoy, a lot of footballers have to endure numerous operations, scans, anesthesia, injections, physio and rehab. Coupled with all the ongoing wear and tear, it must take its toll mentally and physically.

I'm due my 5th op soon and have a full medical record of scans, physio, sprains etc. and have never earned a penny from the game!

Contact/impact sport is actually very bad for your body, but obviously very good for your heart and internal systems.

King always spoke about how hard it was mentally not being able to do everything and having to focus on the exercise regime. Being apart from the group is probably one of the worst things.

What a statement to make him captain last night. Must have been a big shock to the likes of Grimsbyid. :p

Especially considering he has been out for so long. Of course he was a bit rusty last night, the occasional misplaced pass was only to be expected, but he was full of running and as feisty as ever. Good lad.

It's like Poch is saying, you don't have to be supremely talented to be an important part of the team but if you are prepared to die for the cause, you're my man.

He clearly also feels Ryan has the leadership qualities, something none of us have particularly commented on I don't think.

Well done Ryan, well done Poch.

Agree and I like Mason - not sure what other options there were for captain in the line-up last night though!! Alder probably, perhaps Eriksen?

Agree and I like Mason - not sure what other options there were for captain in the line-up last night though!! Alder probably, perhaps Eriksen?
Yeah both of those for sure. Eriksen was incredible last night, the amount of running he put in, unbelievable. But maybe he's a bit quiet in the changing room, not really cut out for captaincy. Alder was his usual awesome self, have to say I'm a bit surprised he did not get the nod. All the more cudos to Mason really.

Yeah both of those for sure. Eriksen was incredible last night, the amount of running he put in, unbelievable. But maybe he's a bit quiet in the changing room, not really cut out for captaincy. Alder was his usual awesome self, have to say I'm a bit surprised he did not get the nod. All the more cudos to Mason really.

I agree about Eriksen he was terrific last night and I agree that he seems to be a bit shy/quite and not captain material. As for Mason I am still not convinced by him and making him captain was strange ( imo).

Mason looked well undercooked - he needs some strengthening and was definitely wobbly last night. Needs game time.

I might be the only one, but it's brilliant that in what has been the most enjoyable season in recent memory, we've had four ex-Academy Players wear the armband at different points this season. Mason, Kane, Rose, and Walker have all gotten to experience that feeling, and it must be especially amazing for Kane and Mason, who are from Spurs families. Long may it continue.

I might be the only one, but it's brilliant that in what has been the most enjoyable season in recent memory, we've had four ex-Academy Players wear the armband at different points this season. Mason, Kane, Rose, and Walker have all gotten to experience that feeling, and it must be especially amazing for Kane and Mason, who are from Spurs families. Long may it continue.
Was walker in the academy?

Not sure we can claim Walker as ex-Academy but I still like the cut of your jib. Seems Poch is deliberately fostering a sense of pride, identity and leadership. Or maybe it's the other way round, ie he's simply validating and rewarding these inate qualities.

Isn't Harry vice-captain? If so, why didn't Ryan hand off the armband to him when he came on? Not that it matters, just curious.

Eh, maybe not. Rose, possibly not either, but they were young players who kinda came up the ranks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dier with the armband in the next year or two either.
Can't remember about Walker. I think Rose went into the Academy when he joined, but he was probably already 17 or 18 or so at the time. So maybe not a "true" academy product in terms of being there for his whole development, but had his final stages of development at the club. I think Poch is rewarding or recognising longevity and loyalty, and this must give the players a real boost of confidence but also, perhaps more importantly, a sense of responsibility for the team performance as a whole.

Can't remember about Walker. I think Rose went into the Academy when he joined, but he was probably already 17 or 18 or so at the time. So maybe not a "true" academy product in terms of being there for his whole development, but had his final stages of development at the club. I think Poch is rewarding or recognising longevity and loyalty, and this must give the players a real boost of confidence but also, perhaps more importantly, a sense of responsibility for the team performance as a whole.

Walker was bought and loaned back to Sheffield United. He then came into the first team squad IIRC, before loans to QPR and Villa, after which he established himself in the first team.

Rose was bought for £1m at age 16/17 and was in our academy for a little while, but not really a product of it.

Giving the captaincy to the likes of Walker, Rose, Mason who are 24 or 25 is a smart move. It is effectively saying, lads, you now need to mature, show responsibility. It should up their game. They are no longer young men, in this team, they are senior players, and they will develop into that role now imo. Clever move from Poch when it could have gone to Vorm or Toby etc.

Last edited:
Giving the captaincy to the likes of Walker, Rose, Mason who are 24 or 25 is a smart move. It is effectively saying, lads, you now need to mature, show responsibility. It should up their game. They are no longer young men, in this team, they are senior players, and they will develop into that role now imo. Clever more from Poch when it could have gone to Vorm or Toby etc.

I think that it is just because Poch does not place a lot of importance on who is captain

Back