• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

And this is why so many misguided people prefer him to Eriksen - they want to see a player with passion running around like a headless chicken LOOKING like they are doing something. It's the everyday average English football metality, run, run, run! Forget technical ability, passing accurately, out thinking the other lot - just fudgeing run!

I'd say that Eriksen does far more for us than Mason with half the running. He has something that Mason will never have - a footballing brain!
I'm not blaming Mason, it's not really his fault, this is not what coaches in this country teach players - just run, run, run!

I do agree with you to a point, English fans over the years have tended to rate the grafters but it is changing slightly . I am not a fan of Mason but he is more then a runner but i do believe ( and not just about Mason) that a lot of fans tend to rate some players because " he is one of our own" and because gthat sometimes fail to see the flaws in their games. I do believe Mason falls into that category.

Can't tell if these posts are serious :confused:

So many rate him over Eriksen? Like who? I think just because @Gutter Boy talks him up you've created this scenario in your head that it applies to most Spurs fans when the reality of it is it doesn't even apply to 1%. Mason gets a ton of flak from our fans, him being "one of our own" doesn't come into it in the slightest, just like it didn't with Townsend who received a similar amount of crap.

Can't tell if these posts are serious :confused:

So many rate him over Eriksen? Like who? I think just because @Gutter Boy talks him up you've created this scenario in your head that it applies to most Spurs fans when the reality of it is it doesn't even apply to 1%. Mason gets a ton of flak from our fans, him being "one of our own" doesn't come into it in the slightest, just like it didn't with Townsend who received a similar amount of crap.

I dint think townsend or Mason get crap they are just known to most fans as not good enough to cut the mustard.

I dint think townsend or Mason get crap they are just known to most fans as not good enough to cut the mustard.

What do you mean by cut the mustard though???

Are they good enough to be squad players for us ?? 100% IMO. Their international footballers and as highlighted by me earlier Mason for example displaced some very expensive imports

. Mason gets a ton of flak from our fans, him being "one of our own" doesn't come into it in the slightest, just like it didn't with Townsend who received a similar amount of crap.

You sure? because all i hear at the grounds is cut him some slack because ' he is one of our own".

Just as loads of fans were saying last summer that Lamela and Walker weren't good enough.

And they really were not but poch has given then direction and confidence.

However both players had shown that they had talent and potential.

Townsend was found out quite quickly and Mason has not shown much or anything special

What do you mean by cut the mustard though???

Are they good enough to be squad players for us ?? 100% IMO. Their international footballers and as highlighted by me earlier Mason for example displaced some very expensive imports

Squad player or permanently on the bench?

I think the stick Mason gets is poor personally.

When fully-fit, he is absolutely a squad asset. He has the energy style and instincts to be an important squad member for us, off the bench, filling in. Is he a first-11 player? Perhaps not, but look around and tell me who else can offer his range, Premiership know-how and skill-set within a price range that makes sense? Not many. He kick-started our season last year at Sunderland with a well-crafted goal he was both part of in the assist and in actually finishing - he never fully-recovered from that subsequent injury. I'd like to think he will be an important player off the bench this season.

When fully-fit, he is absolutely a squad asset. He has the energy style and instincts to be an important squad member for us, off the bench, filling in. Is he a first-11 player? Perhaps not, but look around and tell me who else can offer his range, Premiership know-how and skill-set within a price range that makes sense? Not many. He kick-started our season last year at Sunderland with a well-crafted goal he was both part of in the assist and in actually finishing - he never fully-recovered from that subsequent injury. I'd like to think he will be an important player off the bench this season.
He has only 37 premier league starts for us and 16 sub appearances with a win/loss record of 30/13. And he's only been offside once, so he's better than Defoe in that stat.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3725/Alex-Pritchard/stats

(IGNORE THE FACT THE LINK SAYS PRITCHARD STATS)

And they really were not but poch has given then direction and confidence.

However both players had shown that they had talent and potential.

Townsend was found out quite quickly and Mason has not shown much or anything special

Mason has one thing in common with Lamela and Walker last summer, our manager appears to have more faith in him than many fans.

Mason has shown talent and potential. Last season he struggled but he suffered with injuries. The season before, our team improved immeasurably when he came into it.

Mason has one thing in common with Lamela and Walker last summer, our manager appears to have more faith in him than many fans.

Mason has shown talent and potential. Last season he struggled but he suffered with injuries. The season before, our team improved immeasurably when he came into it.

Both Walker and Lamela have been good enough to nail regular starting places in their respective positions, Mason will not imo. Last season he struggled not only because of injury but also because of the start stop nature of his appearances. He needs regular games, given his age and that he is good enough to justify that in most other teams outside the top ones. I don't think he will suit being a super sub.

Both Walker and Lamela have been good enough to nail regular starting places in their respective positions, Mason will not imo. Last season he struggled not only because of injury but also because of the start stop nature of his appearances. He needs regular games, given his age and that he is good enough to justify that in most other teams outside the top ones. I don't think he will suit being a super sub.

Perhaps he knows Dembele's on the cusp of his physical decline and might not be up to the incredible demands of a Poch midfielder for much longer?

The difference being that Mason only had little over half a season in the first team under his belt before he got injured.

I do not think that it is very likely that he will be able to force his way into being a first choice starter again but it is not impossible and he is more than good enough to be a capable squad play.

According to @Roy1983 even when he came back he was still playing through an injury last season. Surely, we have to take that into consideration when talking about his form last season.

And the award for first balanced post in a 94 page thread goes to...

We haven't heard that one for a while GB. I love it when you do your greatest hits.

I meant age, rather than injury (which happily seems to have cleared up). He's 29 now. Which is 4 years older than any other player in our front 9 (i.e. not GKs or CBs). Would he still be able to press sufficiently for the system at 31 say?

I wouldn't have believed it but that doesn't mean we don't need to improve our bench.

My point is that you can't know that it needs to be improved until you see evidence of it. You can't have seen enough of Onomah, Winks and Carters-Vickers at premier league level to already know that we need to improve on them.

The same way that no one on here had seen enough of Dier in Central Midfield to know that moving him there was a good idea, but it was.

For all we know, by the end of the season our starting 11 could include all 3 of Winks, CV and Onomah. Unlikely I agree, but as you said yourself you wouldn't have believed it if someone had told you we'd finish 3rd with Eric Dier in there.

Mason, Davies and Vorm I don't think we'd get much better that are willing to sit on the bench week in week out?

Last edited:
there's barely a member of our "first team" that hasn't been written off at some point in their career

you'd think we would learn from that

How very dare you....
I mean I was a big critic of lamella and thought he should have been flogged and hung out to dry....

Smarter people than me who see him train every day clearly disagreed and low and behold what we have now is a real player akin to the one I saw at Roma - I was wrong

I just don't get with Mason and why any one would focus and criticise him for being a hard working squad player. He does what he does and tried every game. Imagine if Chadli with his clear talent put in Masons effort...

What would help convince the Mason naysayers is if he scored a few goals. He's getting chances too but just not putting them away. A bit of end product and everybody loves you.

Back