• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I honestly can't understand why these people go to the matches. It obviously irritates the fudge out of them to be there.

This guys is 50 plus, looks reasonably well to do and educated (not sure how Im judging that) and spouts dribble constantly ... He pays for that privelege when he could do it from the comfort of his own home

I like you Galeforce, but that's some OTT tripe something like GB would post. No offence GB :)

Aw, shucks

At the start of last season if I'd have been told Leicester really wanted Mason, but only in a straight swap deal and we could have anyone in their squad, I'd have kept Mason.

Nothing new in that as all clubs have brain dead macarons calling out players at the ground, the abuse Pratt used to get was chronic but he still went on to play over 400 games for us.
Not a big fan of Mr. Pratt -- he always came up with a goal when you thought he had to be dropped. Even so, the boo boys achieve nothing -- see this quote from the man himself:

"I had been getting it in the neck a bit from some of the sections of the crowd at Spurs but Bill expected his players to be men, and he said that the crowd paid our wages and were entitled to have their opinions. So one day, before I was due to play my first game at Old Trafford, I asked him what I could expect. He replied that it would just be like playing at Spurs, except that up there 55,000 people would hate me, whereas at Spurs it was only 45,000."

Ma
He's exactly the type of run through a brick wall for the club squad player you need to win the league. Darren Fletcher, Wes Brown and John O'Shea have 15 league titles between them.

And this is why so many misguided people prefer him to Eriksen - they want to see a player with passion running around like a headless chicken LOOKING like they are doing something. It's the everyday average English football metality, run, run, run! Forget technical ability, passing accurately, out thinking the other lot - just fudging run!

I'd say that Eriksen does far more for us than Mason with half the running. He has something that Mason will never have - a footballing brain!
I'm not blaming Mason, it's not really his fault, this is not what coaches in this country teach players - just run, run, run!

Ma

And this is why so many misguided people prefer him to Eriksen - they want to see a player with passion running around like a headless chicken LOOKING like they are doing something. It's the everyday average English football metality, run, run, run! Forget technical ability, passing accurately, out thinking the other lot - just fudgeing run!

I'd say that Eriksen does far more for us than Mason with half the running. He has something that Mason will never have - a footballing brain!
I'm not blaming Mason, it's not really his fault, this is not what coaches in this country teach players - just run, run, run!

I agree with your logic to a point but your doing Mason a disservice here

He came in to replace some of these fancy dan foreigners and low and behold showed an awareness and intellect they didn't show

Mason isn't at eriksens level but he has she in hinself to be above and beyond players like Capoue and Paulinho who he replaced with little to no experience in their positions

Ma

And this is why so many misguided people prefer him to Eriksen - they want to see a player with passion running around like a headless chicken LOOKING like they are doing something. It's the everyday average English football metality, run, run, run! Forget technical ability, passing accurately, out thinking the other lot - just fudgeing run!

Wow. Mason's the most intelligent player our academy has produced, probably since Hoddle. By all means criticise him on his defensive positioning, but after Lamela he's probably the smartest player in our squad.

Just because people remember Marney, O'Hara and Livermore, they need to judge him on his ability, not the fact he isn't called Masonovic and didn't cost £15m from FC Ulaanbaatar

Wow. Mason's the most intelligent player our academy has produced, probably since Hoddle. By all means criticise him on his defensive positioning, but after Lamela he's probably the smartest player in our squad.

Just because people remember Marney, O'Hara and Livermore, they need to judge him on his ability, not the fact he isn't called Masonovic and didn't cost £15m from FC Ulaanbaatar

Erm, Ledley King? Harry Kane?

There really seems to be two extremes her with Mason... only football fans would think like this

He isn't world class I think we can all agree

He is also unlikely to be the first name on the team sheet at the moment too which I hope we can all agree

Then there seems to be this disparity between the extremes..

Those who think he is poor and not good enough for a top 10 team or lower - which would argue is bizarre considering where we have ended the seasons when he has played

And the other extreme like GB above saying he is the most talented player since Hoddle... a comment based on nothing most of us have seen so far and quite a statement

Mason right now is a squad player for possibly the strongest spurs side in a very long time. He will play 20 plus games this season I'm sure (barring his own injuries) and I'm also sure he will give 100%. Im also sure he will make mistakes as he isn't perfect but I for one can think of many other players who would com there as a squad player an die better than him.

He does suffer from his lack of experience in central midfield, and he also suffers playing in the hole with a lack goals, but thats why he isn't a starter every week. We have better players ahead of him and he isn't complaining form what I've seen. He wants to be part of the journey were on and he deserves to be based on his attitude and work ethic.

Lets get behind the lad and give him the support he needs and merits and see if he improves further

And the other extreme like GB above saying he is the most talented player since Hoddle... a comment based on nothing most of us have seen so far and quite a statement

Only in terms of footballing brain. He was the first of the new breed of kids who didn't just thrive in youth football because of their physicality compared to their age group. The fruits of McDermott and Inglethorpe's labours to produce homegrown players who were as technically capable as the foreign imports they would be competing with.

Only in terms of footballing brain. He was the first of the new breed of kids who didn't just thrive in youth football because of their physicality compared to their age group. The fruits of McDermott and Inglethorpe's labours to produce homegrown players who were as technically capable as the foreign imports they would be competing with.

We have loads of intelligent players that have come through ... It's why we an sell them on for good money

Single that out as key for Mason is hard to quantify IMO. Don't get me wrong he is a smart footballer but you have put him on a very high pedal stool

Last edited:
Gutterboy you really do your position no favors by making things as black and white as you do or taking everything to such extremes - "Masons our most creative player" "most intelligent player since Hoddle" "Bentaleb the best DM prospect in Europe" etc it's pointless, most of this negativity towards Mason has come about because you talk him up way beyond what he has actually shown - which considering your position on the subject of statistical analysis vs personal bias couldn't be more contradictory as you show more bias when rating the players you like/dislike than anyone I have ever seen on here

Ma

I do agree with you to a point, English fans over the years have tended to rate the grafters but it is changing slightly . I am not a fan of Mason but he is more then a runner but i do believe ( and not just about Mason) that a lot of fans tend to rate some players because " he is one of our own" and because gthat sometimes fail to see the flaws in their games. I do believe Mason falls into that category.

Have to agree. I looked at our bench on Saturday and my honest thoughts were we will do very well to finish in the top 4 this season. That's the bench as a whole not just Mason.

If someone had told you at the start of last season we would finish 3rd with Eric Dier and Moussa Dembele as our two main central midfielders, what would you have said?

Back