• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Good luck to Soldado if he does indeed leave. It's a shame things never worked out for him, but after the last two seasons he has had I think it's in everyone's best interests if he gets a new start.

There's more likely hood of Soldado at least turning up though. Doesn't matter how good you are, or how much better you are than the next guy if you aren't fit or don't turn up. You can't contribute if you're not on the pitch. Ade hasn't a good recent history of being available, and there's little sign of that changing.
Let's be honest both should leave, but I don't think we're that lucky.

I'm sure wherever Soldado ends up next he'll score goals, Ade, not so much
Not much difference between the two in that respect.

Chances are if you chose Ade you'd get Soldado anyway as the former has gone AWOL.

I always tend to prefer to judge players on what I have seen of them while playing for Spurs....

In the PL Adebayor has scored 35 goals in 87 games for Spurs. 1 every 2 and a half games
In the PL Soldado has scored 7 goals in 52 games for Spurs. I every 7 and a half games.

and yet despite this, Adebayor gets a far harder ride than Soldado from the fans. I get that Adebayor's attitude isn't particularly good, but it's been pretty clear that even with his poor attitude Adebayor has been a significantly better player for Spurs than Soldado has. I can remember Chris Armstrong getting booed by the Spurs fans at one point in his career, but he absolutely knocked spots off of Soldado, who is perhaps the worst striker we have ever signed with his £26 million transfer fee so far costing us at over £3.7 million per PL goal scored.

Whats his record since signing a permanent deal? A year and a half of nothing under AVB, a good spell under Sherwood and then nothing for a year under Poch. That's one good spell in three seasons since signing a permanent deal - using his performances from 4 seasons ago in a much more attacking set up (and essentially a title challenging team) probably isn't the most accurate way to judge the player as he is now...

The baggage which comes with him makes him the clear favourite to be first one out the door when his record is not in any way good enough since the permanent deal (especially when he'll be earning double what Soldado gets, meaning more money to free up for replacements)

I'm sure wherever Soldado ends up next he'll score goals, Ade, not so much

Maybe, but if we were forced to play with one of them as first choice for a season, I'm convinced Adebayor would provide most goals for us.
Soldado needs to play in a different club, and likely a different league

Whats his record since signing a permanent deal? A year and a half of nothing under AVB, a good spell under Sherwood and then nothing for a year under Poch. That's one good spell in three seasons since signing a permanent deal - using his performances from 4 seasons ago in a much more attacking set up (and essentially a title challenging team) probably isn't the most accurate way to judge the player as he is now...

The baggage which comes with him makes him the clear favourite to be first one out the door when his record is not in any way good enough since the permanent deal (especially when he'll be earning double what Soldado gets, meaning more money to free up for replacements)

Since signing a permanent deal Adebayor's record drops slightly to 18 PL goals in 54 games, or put another way - 1 goal every 3 games, which is an 'adequate' return really. More pertinently this compares extremely favourably to Soldado's 1 PL goal every 7 and a half games.

I agree that one good spell in three seasons is a poor return, however 0 good spells in 2 seasons is absolutely woeful.

In both of the seasons that Soldado has been at Spurs, Adebayor has outperformed him.

I don't want us to keep Adebayor at all, I just find it strange that Soldado gets nothing like the stick Adebayor does, despite him clearly being the worst centre forward at the club and indeed probably the worst signing in our history when considering the outlay and the return.

Last edited:

Only perform when he need to is said about Adebayor, but it could be claimed that he's good every other season as well ... which would bode well for coming season

2015/16 ??
2014/15 2 goals
2013/14 14 goals + brick loads of assists
2012/13 8 goals
2011/12 18 goals
2010/11 13 goals

Btw, Soldado isn't that far behind Adebayor in wages. He's also one of our best paid players

That said, we'd be better off with both gone.

Since signing a permanent deal Adebayor's record drops slightly to 18 PL goals in 54 games, or put another way - 1 goal every 3 games, which is an 'adequate' return really. More pertinently this compares extremely favourably to Soldado's 1 PL game every 7 and a half games.

I agree that one good spell in three seasons is a poor return, however 0 good spells in 2 seasons is absolutely woeful.

In both of the seasons that Soldado has been at Spurs, Adebayor has outperformed him.

I don't want us to keep Adebayor at all, I just find it strange that Soldado gets nothing like the stick Adebayor does, despite him clearly being the worst centre forward at the club and indeed probably the worst signing in our history when considering the outlay and the return.

I think you're letting your bias show there, Adebayor did not out perform anyone this season - whether his goal ratio says so or not (1 in 10?) those games at the beginning were a lesson in anonymity. Anyway the manager has seemingly decided he'd rather resort to Soldado, if he has to, which ultimately tells us all we need to know about who is most expendable...

Of course another thing to consider is if we are left with either one of them they will mosty be used in cup competitions - Adebayor seems to pick up a lot of injuries around cup games or play badly when called upon (i presume this is why we only talk league goals when comparing the two?) won't be much use as 3rd choice forward if that form continues

I think you're letting your bias show there, Adebayor did not out perform anyone this season - whether his goal ratio says so or not (1 in 10?) those games at the beginning were a lesson in anonymity. Anyway the manager has seemingly decided he'd rather resort to Soldado, if he has to, which ultimately tells us all we need to know about who is most expendable...

It was 2 in 8.... Which was poor but absolutely brilliant compared to Soldado's 1 in 24, and if 2 in 8 is a lesson in anonymity then I'm not sure what 1 in 24 is?

Hopefully we'll move both of them on this summer, but if we can only move one on then I really hope it is Soldado as it is as clear as day that he will not get us goals. Remember also that since he lost his bottle taking penalties his goal return has worsened from paltry to non-existant.

It was 2 in 8.... Which was poor but absolutely brilliant compared to Soldado's 1 in 24, and if 2 in 8 is a lesson in anonymity then I'm not sure what 1 in 24 is?

Hopefully we'll move both of them on this summer, but if we can only move one on then I really hope it is Soldado as it is as clear as day that he will not get us goals. Remember also that since he lost his bottle taking penalties his goal return has worsened from paltry to non-existant.

You're always saying singular stats are meaningless on their own yet here you are forming your argument on a singular stat (goals scored) and bring every counter argument back to that singular stat.

2 in 8
18 in 54

...whatever, the current manager uses him the least of all his options, he often goes missing for the type of games he will be used in most should he stay, he earns 150k (compared to 60-80k for Soldado) which could be used better elsewhere, he is a constant source of negative attention/rumor, has a questionable attitude and in light of recent social media outbursts us not in a good place mentally - to ignore all that and cling on to what is a paltry goal ratio stat
under the current manager (better than Soldado or not) doesn't make a very convincing argument.

If we're going to have an underperforming 3rd choice striker, id prefer one who didn't have all the above marks against him.

It seems clear we need to move on both. But personally, if absolutely forced to keep one of them, it would be Soldado. You seem to be forgetting that off-field issues tip the balance - there is a good deal of evidence that early in Pochettino's tenure, Adebayor was one of the players (along with Kaboul and Capoue) who set out to deliberately undermine his methods. The fact that it was several months before Ade even made it back to the bench (Kaboul and Capoue never did) pretty much sums up his position in the eyes of our coaching staff. On top of that, Adebayor is a bigger draw on our resources than Soldado (in terms of wages) and he comes with his own three-ring-social-media-circus that doesn't help matters.

Soldado didn't work out for us and that's a real shame, but he always tried his hardest and never - that we know of at least - set himself in opposition to our manager. That ultimately makes him better for Spurs if we absolutely *had* to keep one of them (if nothing else, his willingness to put in the effort means - in my view - he's more likely to start playing well again than Adebayor).

But to reiterate; I don't think we should have either of them on our books by the end of August.

You're always saying singular stats are meaningless on their own yet here you are forming your argument on a singular stat (goals scored) and bring every counter argument back to that singular stat.

2 in 8
18 in 54

...whatever, the current manager uses him the least of all his options, he often goes missing for the type of games he will be used in most should he stay, he earns 150k (compared to 60-80k for Soldado) which could be used better elsewhere, he is a constant source of negative attention/rumor, has a questionable attitude and in light of recent social media outbursts us not in a good place mentally - to ignore all that and cling on to what is a paltry goal ratio stat
under the current manager (better than Soldado or not) doesn't make a very convincing argument.

If we're going to have an underperforming 3rd choice striker, id prefer one who didn't have all the above marks against him.

Soldado is a centre forward so goals surely have to be the best way to judge him? After all it's not as if he brings anything else to the party. He is terrible at holding the ball up and it's not like he gives you Wayne Rooney type effort and presence when dropping back deeper.

Also there is no need to artificially inflate Adebayor's wages to £150k a week to try to justify keeping Soldado over him, Ade earns £100k a week at Spurs.

I agree about Adebayor not being in a good place mentally recently with his family problems, however what if he has put those behind him and is now in a better state mentally? He has proven that he CAN score goals in England and indeed for Spurs, Soldado has only proven the opposite. Additionally Soldado simply cannot play as the number 9 in Pochettino's 4-2-3-1 formation, we were woeful at retaining possession with him up front last season.

I maintain that I am really hoping we move both players on this Summer, but if we can only move one of them then Soldado has to be the one we want to be rid of as he is a bad fit for our gameplan and rubbish in front of goal as well.

If we are forced to keep one it should be Adebayor. Atleast he can score. Just scored two for Togo as well. Soldado needs to move on for his own sake.

Back