• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

as 3rd choice forward you'd expect to see them start primarily in the cup games...

in the cups Adebayor has scored 6 goals in three seasons compared to Soldados 9 goals in 2 seasons - their goal ratio isn't that different (2.6 vs 2.8) but what i think is interesting is that in two seasons Soldado has played 7 more cup games than Adebayor has managed in 3.

using Drogba as an example of a 3rd choice forward in a team which plays with one CF in the EPL - he played 293 minutes of premier league football last season, so league goals really could be classed as an irrelevance in this particular discussion as Adebayor scored a goal every 409 minutes of play in the league so if he was used a similar amount as Drogba he wouldn't have even had a chance to make his superior league goal ratio count :p

we all know when he has the arm around his shoulder and is considered the main man Adebayor is an unplayable striker and if those who wanted him to stay ahead of Soldado were hoping against hope that he'd once again have that fire in his belly or was to be considered first choice then i could maybe understand their position, but a 3rd choice player used once in a blue moon to rest the two players ahead of him and to be started in the early rounds of the Uefa Cup/League Cup as we rotate the first XI im not sure what we are supposed to gain from that - certainly not with all the baggage that comes with it. straight choice between the two players at their best on the pitch and ignoring every single factor outside of that? sure pick Adebayor, but looking at the whole package and, as per above, the games in which you want to have them available, then the issue becomes a lot less obvious

Last edited:
as 3rd choice forward you'd expect to see them start primarily in the cup games...

in the cups Adebayor has scored 6 goals in three seasons compared to Soldados 9 goals in 2 seasons - their goal ratio isn't that different (2.6 vs 2.8) but what i think is interesting is that in two seasons Soldado has played 7 more cup games than Adebayor has managed in 3.

using Drogba as an example of a 3rd choice forward in a team which plays with one CF in the EPL - he played 293 minutes of premier league football last season, so league goals really could be classed as an irrelevance in this particular discussion as Adebayor scored a goal every 409 minutes of play in the league so if he was used a similar amount as Drogba he wouldn't have even had a chance to make his superior league goal ratio count :p

we all know when he has the arm around his shoulder and is considered the main man Adebayor is an unplayable striker and if those who wanted him to stay ahead of Soldado were hoping against hope that he'd once again have that fire in his belly or was to be considered first choice then i could maybe understand their position, but a 3rd choice player used once in a blue moon to rest the two players ahead of him and to be started in the early rounds of the Uefa Cup/League Cup as we rotate the first XI im not sure what we are supposed to gain from that - certainly not with all the baggage that comes with it. straight choice between the two players at their best on the pitch and ignoring every single factor outside of that? sure pick Adebayor, but looking at the whole package and, as per above, the games in which you want to have them available, then the issue becomes a lot less obvious
So we have a choice between a player who if handled correctly is unplayable and one who cannot even score penalties; the obvious choice is still Ade because it is possible for him to recapture his form whereas it appears Soldado has no form to recapture. As said before both need to move on.

So we have a choice between a player who if handled correctly is unplayable and one who cannot even score penalties; the obvious choice is still Ade because it is possible for him to recapture his form whereas it appears Soldado has no form to recapture. As said before both need to move on.

it's a choice for a role where the player will likely see little premiership action and be expected to turn out in the cups. both have a similar goal scoring record (in the cups) but only one goes missing whenever there's a cup game to be played....

yes of course we all want both to be sold, the argument is who we'd least like to be stuck with - and my choice is the player who turns out for the team and gives his all no matter the competition he's asked to play nor how much the manager panders to his needs. (as most likely he'll be asked to play the lesser games and have no special treatment, so those two specifics are quite important)

it's a choice for a role where the player will likely see little premiership action and be expected to turn out in the cups. both have a similar goal scoring record (in the cups) but only one goes missing whenever there's a cup game to be played....
I think you are really stretching stats to try and make a footballing argument for Soldado vs Ade when really there isn't one. If you are making an argument who is likely to be better for team spirit, then Soldado is your man. Like I said before it's not a great choice but surely football has to edge it?

I think you are really stretching stats to try and make a footballing argument for Soldado vs Ade when really there isn't one. If you are making an argument who is likely to be better for team spirit, then Soldado is your man. Like I said before it's not a great choice but surely football has to edge it?

im using the football both have played at Spurs over the 2-3 years they have been here and the football they are likely to play as 3rd choice next season to draw my conclusions.

if Levy was to have a mental episode and sell Kane and not buy a replacement then 100% id want Adebayor as the man to step in - but that's not what's gonna happen, (hopefully :eek: ) if one is left here next season it's cup games and 300 odd minutes league football, and in those circumstances it's Soldado all day long : less money, less baggage, less 'injuries', same cup goal ratio

im using the football both have played at Spurs over the 2-3 years they have been here and the football they are likely to play as 3rd choice next season to draw my conclusions.

if Levy was to have a mental episode and sell Kane and not buy a replacement then 100% id want Adebayor as the man to step in - but that's not what's gonna happen, (hopefully :eek: ) if one is left here next season it's cup games and 300 odd minutes league football, and in those circumstances it's Soldado all day long : less money, less baggage, less 'injuries', same cup goal ratio
And what if (GHod forbid!) Kane gets injured?.... and suddenly we're thrust into having to play our backup striker for our league games? Soldado might be a thoroughly decent chap, but then again so am I (although my wife would probably disagree!) yet you wouldn't want me playing number 9 for Spurs - although to be even I'd probably be able to match Soldado's PL goals total last season.

Really can't see Soldado turning into a reliable striker for us next season. He has been very inconsistent and unlucky ever since joining us. He simply can't seem to score more than 1 match in a row.

That 1-1 on against Fiorentina summed it up for me. Whatever you think of Ade he would have probably put that away.. And if he hadnt he would have got death threats. Soldado is just given the label as a good bloke.

He has been absolutely awful for us, and i imagine that he must love Ade as he is saving him from dogs abuse.

And what if (GHod forbid!) Kane gets injured?.... and suddenly we're thrust into having to play our backup striker for our league games? Soldado might be a thoroughly decent chap, but then again so am I (although my wife would probably disagree!) yet you wouldn't want me playing number 9 for Spurs - although to be even I'd probably be able to match Soldado's PL goals total last season.

Id rather take my chances in that case as the benefits of having a 3rd choice forward happy to play in the games he's told to play outweigh having a 3rd choice who will likely make himself unavailable for half the games he's needed - slim chance both in front of him are injured and in any case Adebayors goal ratio of one in 400+ minutes under the current manager will mean we're fudged anyway

yes of course we all want both to be sold, the argument is who we'd least like to be stuck with - and my choice is the player who turns out for the team and gives his all no matter the competition he's asked to play nor how much the manager panders to his needs. (as most likely he'll be asked to play the lesser games and have no special treatment, so those two specifics are quite important)

Dude I will give my all, show great passion, and even start a fight with Wenger if you want, and i will do all this and accept only one quarter of soldados wages :).... Why am I not playing for spurs, because I'm no where near good enough. Same for soldado, and that's why the obvious choice is ade.

Id rather take my chances in that case as the benefits of having a 3rd choice forward happy to play in the games he's told to play outweigh having a 3rd choice who will likely make himself unavailable for half the games he's needed - slim chance both in front of him are injured and in any case Adebayors goal ratio of one in 400+ minutes under the current manager will mean we're fudgeed anyway
I would honestly rather promote one of our youth players than keep Soldado.... None of them are ready to play centre forward for Spurs and yet I think all of them would outscore (1 goal in 24 games) Soldado. Let's give Soldado away and just put Coulthirst in the squad - after all I'm sure he'd absolutely love to play for Spurs in Carling Cup/Europa League games, I'm sure he will always give his all, he is probably a thoroughly nice bloke and his goal output can't really be any worse. He also probably costs about £3 million a year less in wages. Everybody wins (except Galatasaray or whatever club end up with Soldado!)

Last edited:
Dude I will give my all, show great passion, and even start a fight with Wenger if you want, and i will do all this and accept only one quarter of soldados wages :).... Why am I not playing for spurs, because I'm no where near good enough. Same for soldado, and that's why the obvious choice is ade.
To be fair you would probably have put away a couple of the sitters that Soldado was presented with last season and had a better goals per game record!

It looks like we're coming at it from different angles here guys - im being realistic and choosing who id prefer based on what i think will be expected of them next season whilst you're all either thinking he'll get a good run in the league or are worried our first and second choice forwards will both get long term injuries, which isn't quite what id call realistic tbh

Anyway hopefully we can find someone to take them both off our hands and this hypothetical discussion can be forgotten

It looks like we're coming at it from different angles here guys - im being realistic and choosing who id prefer based on what i think will be expected of them next season whilst you're all either thinking he'll get a good run in the league or are worried our first and second choice forwards will both get long term injuries, which isn't quite what id call realistic tbh

Anyway hopefully we can find someone to take them both off our hands and this hypothetical discussion can be forgotten
At the moment Adebayor IS our second choice striker (or perhaps 3rd with Soldado 2nd?)....

Considering we haven't signed a decent striker for over 3 years I'm not particularly confident in Levy bringing in somebody this summer. And going into a season with just Kane and Soldado I would be closing my eyes every time Kane went into a tackle or stayed down after being tackled.

Id be doing the same no matter if Soldado or Adebayor were the back ups - ironic actually that if we kept Adebayor and he shirked the cup games like he has the 3 seasons he's been here then there will be more chance of forwards 1 and 2 picking up injuries!

2 goals in 800 minutes of football is brick, 1 goal in 24 games is beyond brick - in fact 24 games is a bit misleading on your part as he's played pretty much exactly the same amount of match time as Adebayor (though not anywhere near the amount of consecutive league starts, or full matches, which arguably makes it harder to score...) if either are relied on in the league next season we are in trouble, make no mistake. But as has been said (and ignored) already - they will be cup players and both league records under this manager are equally appalling.

Id be doing the same no matter if Soldado or Adebayor were the back ups - ironic actually that if we kept Adebayor and he shirked the cup games like he has the 3 seasons he's been here then there will be more chance of forwards 1 and 2 picking up injuries!

2 goals in 800 minutes of football is crud, 1 goal in 24 games is beyond crud - in fact 24 games is a bit misleading on your part as he's played pretty much exactly the same amount of match time as Adebayor (though not anywhere near the amount of consecutive league starts, or full matches, which arguably makes it harder to score...) if either are relied on in the league next season we are in trouble, make no mistake. But as has been said (and ignored) already - they will be cup players and both league records under this manager are equally appalling.
It actually should be much easier to score when coming on towards the end of games with fresh legs as the opponents are tiring (of cours that assumes the player is actually a good striker),

Galatasaray have offered Roberto Soldado a €3.5 million per season deal according to the Turkish daily newspaper Fanatik.

The report states that Tottenham have given Galatasaray permission to discuss personal terms with the Spanish international.

Galatasaray are however yet to agree a transfer fee with the North London based club. Monaco are also understood to be monitoring the situation.

The Istanbul giants have set their sights on a new striker to take the load off their top scorer Burak Yilmaz.

Back