• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Southampton

Lloris - 6 (at fault for the 2nd goal but saved us a few times to. Poor distribution again)

Walker - 7.5 (very good again)
Dawson - 7 (saved his cb partner on a few occasions)
Chiriches - 4 (Poor)
Rose - 6 (shaky but improved second half)

Lamela - 6 (worked hard)
Dembele - 7 (Played well)
Eriksen - 7 (same as Mousa)
Siggy - 6.75 (worked hard, good runs...needs to get involved more at times)

Soldado - 7 (should have scored at least one..played really well otherwise)
Adebayor - 9 (Bossed it)

Subs

Bentaleb - 8 (excellent)
Chadli - 8 (same as bentaleb)
Defoe - 5 (didn't have enough time i guess).

Lloris - 6 (at fault for the 2nd goal but saved us a few times to. Poor distribution again)

Chiriches - 4 (Poor)

Lamela - 6 (worked hard)

Adebayor - 9 (Bossed it)

Subs

Bentaleb - 8 (excellent)

+1

Lloris 5.5 - seems to have lost the plot since Lukaku-gate, did make a good save late on but he could do with a break. Too many important games coming up though so he'll have to work through it

Walker 7 - decent again
Dawson 6.5 - some important clearances
Chiriches 5 - they seemed to keep getting in behind him, not his best day
Rose 7.5 - great work for the goal, got up and down well, looked shattered late on

Lamela 5.5 - not agreat game from him, touch not there but patience is needed, he'll improve with games
Eriksen 7.5 - ticked things over very nicely and was defenively sound
Dembele 6 - caught on the ball a few times, battled well
Sigurdsson 6 - offered Rose decent protection but fairly quiet going forward

Soldado 6 - improved performance, exquisate cross for the goal but missed three very good chances. He'll be annoyed at those but probably thrilled at the same time he actually had some service
Adebayor 8.5 - two goals, linked up well, stretched their defence. Welcome back.

Bentaleb 7 - what a ballsy sub, very composed, used the ball well
Chadli 7 - looked threatening for the first time this season, good cameo
Defoe n/a

Tim 10

I'd go along with KD's ratings, but bump Rose up a notch. I only saw the second half (listened to first on the radio) and I thought he made up for hi error and played well.

Was the first time in awhile that I really enjoyed the game.

Lloris - 6.5. Wasn't at fault for any of the goals, though his newfound reluctance to claim crosses and corners is somewhat worrying.

Walker - 8. Magnificent again. Dealt with everything thrown at him on the right and was a menace when making those powerful runs on the outside.
Dawson - 7. Southampton never ran at him, which I thought was weird considering he's proven time and time again that he can't handle that. However, was great in the air and solid on the deck. Good game from the skipper.
Chiriches - 5. Carrying an injury, but was still beaten too easily by Lallana for both goals and Rodriguez/Gallagher when backing off a couple of powerful runs down the outside.
Rose - 6. Decent game, all told. GHod, it feels good to have a left-back again.

Lamela - 6. Worked hard, but not much came off for him. He needs to be played into form, though, so I hope Tim doesn't drop him for the next game.
Dembele - 7. Held on to the ball brilliantly under pressure, and relentlessly prowled the area in front of the center circle until his unfortunate withdrawal. Hope he isn't injured too badly.
Eriksen - 7.5. Great game from him in a somewhat unfamiliar CM position. Scrapped and fought for every ball when not in possession and showed drive, purpose and no little creativity when on the ball.
Siggy - 6.5. Made a lot of good runs that were ignored by first Soldado and then Chadli. Good outlet on the left, though: used his height and strength well to bring down and hold up long balls forward from Rose.

Soldado - 7. Should have scored: missed two magnificent chances, and looks rusty when shooting. Played in Adebayor for a great first goal, though.
Ade - 8.5. MOTM. Scored twice, was relentless when driving at Southampton's backpedaling defenders, linked up well with Soldado, and used his strength, aerial ability and pace to good effect time and again. Fantastic display.

Subs -

Bentaleb - 7. Looked assured on his debut. Bit lightweight when in possession (muscled off the ball once or twice) but tracked runners well and showed no little grit and determination when shielding the back line.
Chadli - 7. Ignored Sigurdsson's great runs into promising positions more than once, but made up for it by holding up the ball well when it fell to him, helping us relieve what pressure Southampton could bring onto our fragile back line.
Defoe - N/A. No chance to make an impact.

Temporary Tim - 7.5. Credit to the man for having the balls to bring on one of his unheralded youth players instead of either Capoue or Holtby, both full internationals worth millions. His decision to stick with Ade paid off wonderfully, and he deserves the credit for an impressive victory.

Special mentions:

Mauricio Pochettino - For playing Hooiveld instead of Yoshida and Fox in place of the injured Luke Shaw: both were woeful, and the defense as a whole looked horrible, allowing our forwards a field day.
Away fans - heard them throughout, well done lads.

Lloris - 4

Really needs to think about reacting in context to the threat. Not all through balls are the same; some require immediate action, others do not. The Suarez chip and the through ball today were much better left to the defenders and for Lloris to defend the line.

Surely he's bright enough to realise this.

Chiriches - 4 (Poor)

Lamela - 6 (worked hard)

Adebayor - 9 (Bossed it)

Subs

Bentaleb - 8 (excellent)

+2 what would you score Tim? I think an 8. Great result mostly very good performances but we started the game with big spaces between the midfield and defence that contributed to their 1st goal.

Lloris - 6.5. Wasn't at fault for any of the goals though his newfound reluctance to claim crosses and corners is somewhat worrying.

Walker - 8. Magnificent again. Dealt with everything thrown at him on the right and was a menace when making those powerful runs on the outside.
Dawson - 7. Southampton never ran at him, which I thought was weird considering he's proven time and time again that he can't handle that. However, was great in the air and solid on the deck. Good game from the skipper.
Chiriches - 5. Carrying an injury, but was still beaten too easily by Lallana for both goals and Rodriguez/Gallagher when backing off a couple of powerful runs down the outside.
Rose - 6. Decent game, all told. GHod, it feels good to have a left-back again.

Lamela - 6. Worked hard, but not much came off for him. He needs to be played into form, though, so I hope Tim doesn't drop him for the next game.
Dembele - 7. Held on to the ball brilliantly under pressure, and relentlessly prowled the area in front of the center circle until his unfortunate withdrawal. Hope he isn't injured too badly.
Eriksen - 7.5. Great game from him in a somewhat unfamiliar CM position. Scrapped and fought for every ball when not in possession and showed drive, purpose and no little creativity when on the ball.
Siggy - 6.5. Made a lot of good runs that were ignored by first Soldado and then Chadli. Good outlet on the left, though: used his height and strength well to bring down and hold up long balls forward from Rose.

Soldado - 7. Should have scored: missed two magnificent chances, and looks rusty when shooting. Played in Adebayor for a great first goal, though.
Ade - 8.5. MOTM. Scored twice, was relentless when driving at Southampton's backpedaling defenders, linked up well with Soldado, and used his strength, aerial ability and pace to good effect time and again. Fantastic display.

Subs -

Bentaleb - 7. Looked assured on his debut. Bit lightweight when in possession (muscled off the ball once or twice) but tracked runners well and showed no little grit and determination when shielding the back line.
Chadli - 7. Ignored Sigurdsson's great runs into promising positions more than once, but made up for it by holding up the ball well when it fell to him, helping us relieve what pressure Southampton could bring onto our fragile back line.
Defoe - N/A. No chance to make an impact.

Temporary Tim - 7.5. Credit to the man for having the balls to bring on one of his unheralded youth players instead of either Capoue or Holtby, both full internationals worth millions. His decision to stick with Ade paid off wonderfully, and he deserves the credit for an impressive victory.

Special mentions:

Mauricio Pochettino - For playing Hooiveld instead of Yoshida and Fox in place of the injured Luke Shaw: both were woeful, and the defense as a whole looked horrible, allowing our forwards a field day.
Away fans - heard them throughout, well done lads.

Did you see their 2nd?

Did you see their 2nd?

Yep. Don't see how you can blame Lloris for that considering he came out for almost exactly the same type of ball a few minutes later, only this time he was able to prevent Rodriguez (I think) from having a clear shot on goal (albeit from an angle).

Lloris will come out for passes. It's one of the best things about his game, and one that differentiates him from almost every other keeper in the league. We should be applauding that, not criticising him for it. That 2nd goal was more down to the lack of midfielders tracking Lambert, imo (in itself not really a problem considering our lightweight central midfield, hence my reluctance to assign blame for either goal to anyone but Chiriches, who I felt was beaten too easily both times).

+2 what would you score Tim? I think an 8. Great result mostly very good performances but we started the game with big spaces between the midfield and defence that contributed to their 1st goal.

Sherwood gets a 8.5..maybe a 9.

I thought it was silly to take Lamela off and put Chadli on....in reality it was brilliant.

I thought it was silly putting Bentaleb on and not Capoue ....in reality it was brilliant.

The second half we totally bossed them and dictated play. Yep it was great to see.

Yep. Don't see how you can blame Lloris for that considering he came out for almost exactly the same type of ball a few minutes later, only this time he was able to prevent Rodriguez (I think) from having a clear shot on goal (albeit from an angle).

Lloris will come out for passes. It's one of the best things about his game, and one that differentiates him from almost every other keeper in the league. We should be applauding that, not criticising him for it. That 2nd goal was more down to the lack of midfielders tracking Lambert, imo (in itself not really a problem considering our lightweight central midfield, hence my reluctance to assign blame for either goal to anyone but Chiriches, who I felt was beaten too easily both times).

"almost exactly"

One of which he was favourite for, one of which he had no chance of ever getting there. Lloris was hugely at fault for the second, there was no need, no direct threat, crazy decision, covering players blah blah

Wow, amazing how a win alters people's perception, really didn't think we had a good game overall, struggled to keep possession, overturned the ball constantly and made a few bad individual errors.

Couple to note

- Rose, overall poor game, couple of mistakes that could have cost us dearly, very ineffective going forward, shakey defending
- Vlad, worse game in a Spurs shirt for me from him, badly overcommitted on first goal, was beaten a few times
- Siggy/Dembele/Eriksen, not effective enough, didn't hold on to ball well enough, poor passing

- Bentaleb/Chadli/Walker had decent games

- Ade/Soldado, both had very good games, good runs, both fed each other, Soldado should have put away at least one.

- Temporary Tim, poor midfield selection (not enough to hold on to the ball), last sub made no sense in effecting the game, really Holtby for Eriksen with Holtby's energy was the right move at the time.

Glad to get the win, nice to see us try to attack, but game was frantic, general poor quality (not top half PL football) other than Ade/Soldado.

Not going to rate this by player as I think they are all getting used to the changes on the pitch. but generally:

Defence: 5

Walker's individual performance aside, the rest were struggling to play together. Dawson looks absolutely lost, and that space between our defenders and the keeper is no man's land.

Midfield: 7
Amazingly we'd win a game without two proper DMs :) The midfield ran their socks off but clearly looked like they were playing together for the first time. But yet able to defend in numbers and more importantly, created chances up front. We have to get more organized soon, as we paid with the price with our inefficiencies as legs tire and we start losing possession as time wore on. But it was a game where individual talents won it for us. Bentelab's debut our early christmas gift.

Attack 8

Now we're getting excited again. Glimpses of Soldado's class in the first half, Adebayor's smilling the whole game, and though he isn't totally fit, still put in a good shift chasing balls down.

Overall it was a strange game...looks like a new team, and we're finally unleashing some of the talents we always knew was there. But we looked very vulnerable at the back, and it came down to a nail biting finish just like the spurs of old. Sherwood and his merry men deserve a 9 - not for the win - but for having the cajones to go for glory.

Because the through ball was totally different! I applaud his decision making when he gets it right.

He had zero chance of getting to the first one and there was a covering defender. Just like he had zero chance of getting Suarez when he was chipped last week.

Im with you mate, surprised the criticism hes getting for that...the guy was through on goal and had he had a shot whether it went in or was saved noone would have had a go at him for coming out. It was simply excellent clever play from Lalana to spot the pass....

Lloris - 5

Walker - 7
Dawson - 7.5
Vlad - 5
Rose - 6

Dembele - 7.5
Eriksen - 8
Lamela - 7
Sig - 7

Soldado - 7
Ade - 9

Bentaleb - 7.5
Chadli - 7.5
Defoe -

"almost exactly"

One of which he was favourite for, one of which he had no chance of ever getting there. Lloris was hugely at fault for the second, there was no need, no direct threat, crazy decision, covering players blah blah

Because the through ball was totally different! I applaud his decision making when he gets it right.

He had zero chance of getting to the first one and there was a covering defender. Just like he had zero chance of getting Suarez when he was chipped last week.

I'll have to watch it again to determine if you're right or not, but honestly, I felt there was very little difference between through balls 1 and 2. Chiriches was beaten both times, but Lloris is criticised for coming out in one instance (probably forcing Lallana into improvising that neat little cut-back) while being praised for coming out in the other: possibly very selective and a mite unfair, imo. Still, I'll have to watch the game again before confirming that.

"almost exactly"

correct mate, his fault at goal nr. 2.

9-Ade
8-Walker, Bentaleb (purely because for a young lad making his debut he was damn impressive)
7-Eriksen, Dawson, Rose, Soldado, Chadli
6-Lamela, Sigurdson, Dembele
5-Lloris, Chiriches

Think we need to work on how we involves Sig and Lamela as they were rather poor, but the interplay between them and Eriksen was encouraging providing space for Walker and Rose to run into. Chadli impressed me more

Really? I'm pretty sure the shot was not there for the first goal until Lloris came out and left the goal open for a tap in.

If he had not came rushing out i doubt they would have scored.

Back