• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Southampton

Lloris 7- mystifying double-fisted punches and woeful distribution but also pulled off two absolutely crucial saves second half ensured we came away with all three points

Walker 7 - polished performance all round

Dawson 6 - mostly solid but allowed LLallana too much space for Lambert's goal

Chiriches 5 - was he even fit enough to play? Untypically failed to cut out three potentially deadly through balls second half

Rose 7 - despite a couple of slip-ups he did well overall and deserved his inadvertant assist with that dangerous low cross for the og

Lamela 6 - worryingly reminds me of Bentley the way he so often takes on one too many or fluffs his pass, but cannot be faulted for work-rate or endeavour

Dembele 6 - typically strong when battling for possession but too often followed up with misplaced passes

Eriksen 6 - some good flicks and intelligent passes, though a few also went astray; guilty of ball-watching instead of chasing back in the build-up for Southampton's second

Sigurdsson 6 - still some way from making himself indispensable as a wide midfielder, needs to improve his shooting from range

Adebayor 8 - for once, looked like he actually wanted to play and - surprise surprise - his efforts were rewarded through two excellent strikes

Soldado 7 - could easily have bagged a hat-trick in 10-15 second half minutes but at least he's getting more chances; maybe his lack of service all season has affected his confidence in front of goal

Subs

Bentaleb 6 - impressive debut overall, but ought really to have been tracking Lambertfor Southampton's second

Chadli 6 - decent contribution

Defoe 5 - hardly got a sniff

For some reason marks awarded have disappeared despite initially appearing!

Tryting again, marks only:

Lloris 7
Walker 7
Dawson 6
Chiriches 5
Rose 7
Llamela 6
Sigurdsson 6
Eriksen 6
Dembele 6
Abebayor 8
Soldado 7

Subs

Bentaleb 6
Chadli 6
Defoe 5

For some reason marks awarded have disappeared despite initially appearing!

Tryting again, marks only:

Lloris 7
Walker 7
Dawson 6
Chiriches 5
Rose 7
Llamela 6
Sigurdsson 6
Eriksen 6
Dembele 6
Abebayor 8
Soldado 7

Subs

Bentaleb 6
Chadli 6
Defoe 5

Ha-ha they've reappeared now I've posted again. S*ds law.

Lloris - 6 (at fault for the 2nd goal but saved us a few times to. Poor distribution again)

Walker - 7.5 (very good again)
Dawson - 7 (saved his cb partner on a few occasions)
Chiriches - 4 (Poor)
Rose - 6 (shaky but improved second half)

Lamela - 6 (worked hard)
Dembele - 7 (Played well)
Eriksen - 7 (same as Mousa)
Siggy - 6.75 (worked hard, good runs...needs to get involved more at times)

Soldado - 7 (should have scored at least one..played really well otherwise)
Adebayor - 9 (Bossed it)

Subs

Bentaleb - 8 (excellent)
Chadli - 8 (same as bentaleb)
Defoe - 5 (didn't have enough time i guess).

+1

Lloris - 5 - Some good saves, but he needs to be more confident in catching the ball instead of punching, and was badly at fault for the second goal

Walker - 7 - Decent
Chiriches - 4 - Southampton got played in behind him a couple of times, needs to be quicker to turn around and defend
Dawson - 7 - Pretty good mostly
Rose - 6 - A couple of nervy moments, but got an assist for the goal and did well

Lamela - 5 - A few nice ideas, but he gets tackled far too often for my liking, which is why I think he should play as a striker. Got stuck in though which was good to see
Eriksen - 7 - Some decent passes. Didn't neglect defensive duties as much as I worried he might
Dembele - 6 - Worked hard, but gave the ball away a couple of times and didn't offer a huge amount going forward
Sigurdsson - 7 - Good outlet on the left, I liked his link up play with Adebayor

Soldado - 6 - Some really exciting attacking play, that cross for Ade's first goal was outstanding. But...loses a mark for some shocking misses, of which there have been far too many from him for a "poacher" to justify
Adebayor - 9 - What more can you say? Today had everything. Excellent finishing technique, good link up play with his team mates, running at pace at the opposition, unpredictable movement, hold up play...performances like this were what got him that large contract in the first place.

Subs:

Bentaleb - 7 - Calm, composed, helped us retain possession...everything you want from a youngster in his position making his debut. Very impressed.

Chadli - 7 - Eh??? Where did that come from? Actually managed to beat a man and deliver a good cross!

Defoe - N/A - No real time.

Sherwood - 9 - Well well well. I had my head in my hands when I saw this starting line-up. And I think that, if he continues to play like this, we will find ourselves getting spanked, as we were vulnerable at times when they had space from there not being proper defensive cover from midfield. But today, it worked a treat. Southampton weren't prepared for this kind of gung-ho football at all. The players were motivated, tactically disciplined, created what felt like more genuine goalscoring chances than we created all season under AVB and were deserved winners of the game. Most pleasing was his use of substitutions, which raised eyebrows at the time but all paid off fantastically well. The fact is, Sherwood has achieved two important things that AVB has not this season - scoring 3 goals in a league game and beating a team in the top half of the table. Southampton have been excellent at home since Pochettino took over just under a year ago, to put things into perspective Arsene Wenger, Brendan Rodgers, Manuel Pellegrini, Rafa Benitez, Roberto Mancini and David Moyes have all tried and all failed to beat him at St Mary's, but Sherwood did it today.

Like I said, I don't think that today's kind of tactics are sustainable in the long run...there must be a reason that defensive midfielders exist after all. But today was easily our best performance of the season, an impressive win in a fixture that lots of people had written us off in. IMO - 3 points gained today that would not have been gained under AVB.

IMO - 3 points gained today that would not have been gained under AVB.

One of those pointless conundrums: Would you rather be in the league cup semis or win today?

We won't know for a few months yet, but I still believe a CL spot is very much on.

One of those pointless conundrums: Would you rather be in the league cup semis or win today?

We won't know for a few months yet, but I still believe a CL spot is very much on.

I agree. But I'm not sure I agree with your implication that we would have won the LCQF if AVB had been in charge. He did lose by a bigger scoreline at home to West Ham in the league and get very close to being knocked out at home to Hull in the previous round of the LC.

Yep. Don't see how you can blame Lloris for that considering he came out for almost exactly the same type of ball a few minutes later, only this time he was able to prevent Rodriguez (I think) from having a clear shot on goal (albeit from an angle).

Lloris will come out for passes. It's one of the best things about his game, and one that differentiates him from almost every other keeper in the league. We should be applauding that, not criticising him for it. That 2nd goal was more down to the lack of midfielders tracking Lambert, imo (in itself not really a problem considering our lightweight central midfield, hence my reluctance to assign blame for either goal to anyone but Chiriches, who I felt was beaten too easily both times).

This.

If Lloris doesn't come out then Lalalalalalana (sp?) just turns towards goal and scores anyway. He was so far in front of Dawson/Chiriches he could have stopped and played keepy-uppies before shooting.

What Lloris did is what all good keepers do - minimised the chance of a goal as much as possible. Lalalalallana was just very clever with both his run and his pass.

But he basically gets caught in no mans land. Comes out for a ball he cannot get. A better player than Lalana (Navas, anyone?) would have just chipped him.

If he stayed closer to his line yes he wouldn't have narrowed the angle but he's a good enough shot stopper that he would have been in with a shout still.

It's a strength of Hugo's but also a weakness. He gets it right most times but wrong on others and it will cost us with a red card one day Im afraid.

But he basically gets caught in no mans land. Comes out for a ball he cannot get. A better player than Lalana (Navas, anyone?) would have just chipped him.

If he stayed closer to his line yes he wouldn't have narrowed the angle but he's a good enough shot stopper that he would have been in with a shout still.

It's a strength of Hugo's but also a weakness. He gets it right most times but wrong on others and it will cost us with a red card one day Im afraid.

I don't think there' s a keeper in the world that would have saved from Lalalalala in the amount of space he had - all Lloris could have done is hope for a shot near his body.

By coming out he makes Lalalalala keep the ball and allows the defender to catch up - unfortunately he pulled out a very clever pass to an untracked runner instead.

Glorious cross from Soldado, but he remains abysmal. That bit of quality is an anomaly, not a 'sign of his quality' or anything like that.

The very fact such basic, basic things are applauded, like controlling the ball, briefly holding off one player or making a simple link-up, says it all.

He has no desire to succeed - he ambles about everywhere and puts so little effort in.

Glorious cross from Soldado, but he remains abysmal. That bit of quality is an anomaly, not a 'sign of his quality' or anything like that.

The very fact such basic, basic things are applauded, like controlling the ball, briefly holding off one player or making a simple link-up, says it all.

He has no desire to succeed - he ambles about everywhere and puts so little effort in.

Absurd comment. In fact your entire post is absurd.

Lloris - 6 (at fault for the 2nd goal but saved us a few times to. Poor distribution again)

Pretty much agree with these ratings and am also getting slightly frustrated with Lloris' inaccurate passing this season.

I was sat level with the edge of Hugo' 6 yard area in the 2nd half of the West Ham game on Wednesday and saw him usher away Chiriches several times as he repeatedly attempted Fabien Barthez style long passes which invariably ceded possession back to the Spammers and he appears to have done the same against Southampton, as he finished the game with a paltry 28% passing accuracy with just 3 of his 21 attempted long kicks finding a team-mate.

Considering he has by far the worst long ball accuracy of any of the Top 4 contenders' goalies, with less than 1 in 4 finding a team-mate, you'd hope that he would be encouraged to play it short more often...

GoaliePass Success (Accurate / Total Passes)Long Ball Success (Accurate / Total Long Balls)
Szczesny62.9% (183/291)51.4% (107/208)
Mignolet62.6% (204/326)33.7% (59/175)
Howard58.6% (195/333)34.2% (63/184)
de Gea58.0% (164/283)40.2% (76/189)
Cech55.3% (142/257)35.1% (61/174)
Hart50.0% (81/162)34.2% (39/114)
Lloris42.6% (127/298)24.0% (52/217)

To be honest I'm glad he doesn't with all the screwing about our back four manage.
Shouldn't be using Sandrado as the target man though.

kd's rating but knock soldado down one to a 6

thought he was pretty out of the game for large spells , which is fine if all you do is score but then if they are gift wrapped and you cant even get in on target then you are down to a 5. the assist would bump him up one to a 6.

Absurd comment. In fact your entire post is absurd.

dammit

first time in a while i have had to disagree with you but have to agree with truth here

not on the abysmal front, the word might be a bit harsh, but not inspiring.....aside from the cross there wasnt anything that said this guy was special that i can think of

having said that i think his confidence and form are low

This.

If Lloris doesn't come out then Lalalalalalana (sp?) just turns towards goal and scores anyway. He was so far in front of Dawson/Chiriches he could have stopped and played keepy-uppies before shooting.

What Lloris did is what all good keepers do - minimised the chance of a goal as much as possible. Lalalalallana was just very clever with both his run and his pass.

No no no... Look how far wide Lallana was, and the defender was covering. He had no need to come at all. If he stays put and Lallana squares it, Lloris is on the line to at least face up to Lambert's shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hugo fan but that was a **** up.

You have to look no further than Suarez last week. Lloris did the exact same thing.

No no no... Look how far wide Lallana was, and the defender was covering. He had no need to come at all. If he stays put and Lallana squares it, Lloris is on the line to at least face up to Lambert's shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hugo fan but that was a **** up.

Nobody was covering - Dawson and Chiriches were miles behind.

Back