• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Southampton

Lloris 6 not looking assured on crosses and corners, looks shaken of confidence
Walker 7.5 very good as has become standard
Dawson 6.5 played much better today not forced to play the high line
Chiriches 5 not good, looked injured
Rose 7.5 shaky start but excellent in the second half we look so much better with a proper lb
Lamela 4 poor..again nothing came off and poor tracking back in 4-4-2 he has to work harder in that regard
Dembele 5.5 some bright moments but also gave the ball away a number of times in bad positions with his dribbles and with only one other CM he can't be doing this
Eriksen 7 best match in awhile looked better in deeper role
Siggurdson 6.5 not much came off for him going forward but he worked his balls off
Soldado 6 got into good positions great ball for Ade BUT he must start putting away his chances that's what he is paid to do
Adebayor 10 master class **** off AVB for not playing him

Bentaleb 8 excellent we looked much more assured after he came on
Chadli 8 excellent looked very dangerous

Sherwood 10 ballsy lineup paid off as did bentaleb sub most entertaining match in ages i said win or lose in second half felt we had our Tottenham back

I'll have to watch it again to determine if you're right or not, but honestly, I felt there was very little difference between through balls 1 and 2. Chiriches was beaten both times, but Lloris is criticised for coming out in one instance (probably forcing Lallana into improvising that neat little cut-back) while being praised for coming out in the other: possibly very selective and a mite unfair, imo. Still, I'll have to watch the game again before confirming that.

Seriously mate, they were two completely different scenarios.

Just because coming out was the right decision in scenario one doesn't mean it's the right decision in scenario two.

Excellent: Adebayor, Bentelab (sub), Chadli (sub), Sherwood

Above par: Walker, Lamela

Par: Dawson, Soldado, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Siggy, Defoe (sub)

Below par: Lloris

Poor: Vlad

Excellent: Adebayor, Bentelab (sub), Chadli (sub), Sherwood

Above par: Walker, Lamela

Par: Dawson, Soldado, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Siggy, Defoe (sub)

Below par: Lloris

Poor: Vlad

Lamela above par? what did I miss thought he was our worst player bar Vlad today we looked streets better after he came off

I'll have to watch it again to determine if you're right or not, but honestly, I felt there was very little difference between through balls 1 and 2. Chiriches was beaten both times, but Lloris is criticised for coming out in one instance (probably forcing Lallana into improvising that neat little cut-back) while being praised for coming out in the other: possibly very selective and a mite unfair, imo. Still, I'll have to watch the game again before confirming that.

When you do watch it again, you will see that this was a Lloris error.Never going to get the ball, some cover arriving (Dawson?) and left empty goal for the score. I feel his form has dipped since the concussion and he is making misjudgments. The problem with charging out is that if you get it wrong, the chances of a goal/penalty/sending off are increased hugely. On his game, Lloris has shown that he can consistently get it right. Recently, not so much.

Lamela above par? what did I miss thought he was our worst player bar Vlad today we looked streets better after he came off

I agree although the odd touch shows the potential there. It is his out ball from our penalty area that set Adebayor in motion for the first goal. However, not enough coming off for him when he takes players on. Too many times losing possession as a result. Those who have watched him at Roma suggest he can do it but the jury is still out. Needs to seize his chance.

The jury is only out on Lamela for me if he's still playing the same way this time next year. Time, games and support is what he needs.

Lloris - 6 (at fault for the 2nd goal but saved us a few times to. Poor distribution again)

Walker - 7.5 (very good again)
Dawson - 7 (saved his cb partner on a few occasions)
Chiriches - 4 (Poor)
Rose - 6 (shaky but improved second half)

Lamela - 6 (worked hard)
Dembele - 7 (Played well)
Eriksen - 7 (same as Mousa)
Siggy - 6.75 (worked hard, good runs...needs to get involved more at times)

Soldado - 7 (should have scored at least one..played really well otherwise)
Adebayor - 9 (Bossed it)

Subs

Bentaleb - 8 (excellent)
Chadli - 8 (same as bentaleb)
Defoe - 5 (didn't have enough time i guess).

Agree with that, although i'd prob give Siggy a 6, I would have had Lennon on for him with 20 mins to go (i'm assuming Lennon was on the bench?).

6 - Lloris, Dawson, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Sigurdsson & Lamela.
7 - Walker, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Chadli & Soldado
9 - Adebayor

N/A - Defoe

8 - Sherwood
7 - Fans

The jury is only out on Lamela for me if he's still playing the same way this time next year. Time, games and support is what he needs.

I agree but again we saw Chadli who came on and looked far more a threat not to mention worked so much harder tracking back. So the question is do we just keep throwing Lamela out there even when he is in this poor form and hope he gets better, or do we go with other players in better form. I think if we continue with Lamela in his current state its going to cost us results. Especially in 4-4-2 he did next to nothing to help out defensively.

When you do watch it again, you will see that this was a Lloris error.Never going to get the ball, some cover arriving (Dawson?) and left empty goal for the score. I feel his form has dipped since the concussion and he is making misjudgments. The problem with charging out is that if you get it wrong, the chances of a goal/penalty/sending off are increased hugely. On his game, Lloris has shown that he can consistently get it right. Recently, not so much.

I think he has been dreadful for a while. His errors are costing us goals and I think he's been fortunate that they haven't cost us more.

We're looking very shaky in defense so I think Lloris isn't being given enough protection but he's just not being tidy with his work, some awful punches today when catching was definitely a possibility. His distribution is clearly an issue as well.

Lloris 5
Walker 7
Dawson 6
Chiricheș 5
Rose 6
Lamela 6
Dembele 7
Eriksen 7
Sigurðsson 6
Adebayor 8
Soldado 6

Chadli 7
Bentaleb 8
Defoe 5

Lloris 6 (Looks a little low on confidence - but his bravery can't be denied)
Walker 8 (He is getting better and better with every game. He has improved massively from last year...and still very young)
Dawson 7 (Sadly missed on Wednesday. Rarely put a foot wrong today. Well done)
Chiricheș 5 (Sadly his lack of pace and aerial ability is being royally exploited by opposition teams...I fear for his long term future at the club)
Rose 7 (Considering his long break from the team I thought he played well..and looked powerful. Clearly short of some physical and match fitness which opened up the right hand side)
Lamela 7 (Loved his enthusiasm and effort. Put his foott in, chased back. A few telling quick forward passes...that'll do for me for the time being. All about confidence with this lad..)
Dembele 7 (For a player who appears so strong, he seems to be so fragile - A few good runs today..but also dawdled on the ball a few times)
Eriksen 7 (Composed on the ball, good distribution. Did not impose himself too much on the game but did enough. I have high hopes with this one..he just needs time
Sigurðsson 6 (Oh I wish he had a little more pace. Some good movement and a shot or two.)
Adebayor 9 (Showed everyone what he can do, if he feels like it. Totally bossed their defence, lovely taken goal..good distribution)
Soldado 7 (Could have had a hat-rick, but at least he was in the right position. Great cross for Ade's goal. Only a matter of time before he bangs them in regularly)

Subs

Chadli 8 (He looked alive, strong..totally transformed actually. Some telling passes. Another one that seems to rely on self confidence. Could well prove a bargain buy)
Bentaleb 8 (Cool, calm on the ball. An eye for a forward pass, quick feet..and a sharp brain. Essential he gets competitive football. I expect a Jan loan departure)
Defoe 6 (Made little impact with the limited time on the pitch)

Sherwood 8 (Maybe he got lucky, maybe he didn't. Good subs today. Only time will tell..)

Last edited:

he is not 100% fit....in training he was wearing something on his left thigh so there must be a little concern there

Minus points.
I thought Lamela had a poor game. But he does look as if he would be better playing down the middle -and he does move the ball quickly. So, hopefully he can be coached to become a better player and contributor.
Chriches was very exposed for pace/position a couple of times, which was a worry.
Lloris has been a bit off since his concussion.

Eriksen, Chadli, Bentaleb and Ade of course, all looked very good today. And Soldado, while missing some good chances, linked up with Ade well, and put that cross in.

I agree but again we saw Chadli who came on and looked far more a threat not to mention worked so much harder tracking back. So the question is do we just keep throwing Lamela out there even when he is in this poor form and hope he gets better, or do we go with other players in better form. I think if we continue with Lamela in his current state its going to cost us results. Especially in 4-4-2 he did next to nothing to help out defensively.

Lamela ran his nuts off today, tackling (fouling) all over the pitch. Neville went on and on about it

Are you joking, Lamela worked extremely hard defensively and put himself about which I wasnt expecting....

Lloris 7- mystifying double-fisted punches and woeful distribution but also pulled off two absolutely crucial saves second half ensured we came away with all three points

Walker 7 - polished performance all round

Dawson 6 - mostly solid but allowed LLallana too much space for Lambert's goal

Chiriches 5 - was he even fit enough to play? Untypically failed to cut out three potentially deadly through balls second half

Rose 7 - despite a couple of slip-ups he did well overall and deserved his inadvertant assist with that dangerous low cross for the og

Lamela 6 - worryingly reminds me of Bentley the way he so often takes on one too many or fluffs his pass, but cannot be faulted for work-rate or endeavour

Dembele 6 - typically strong when battling for possession but too often followed up with misplaced passes

Eriksen 6 - some good flicks and intelligent passes, though a few also went astray; guilty of ball-watching instead of chasing back in the build-up for Southampton's second

Sigurdsson 6 - still some way from making himself indispensable as a wide midfielder, needs to improve his shooting from range

Adebayor 8 - for once, looked like he actually wanted to play and - surprise surprise - his efforts were rewarded through two excellent strikes

Soldado 7 - could easily have bagged a hat-trick in 10-15 second half minutes but at least he's getting more chances; maybe his lack of service all season has affected his confidence in front of goal

Subs

Bentaleb 6 - impressive debut overall, but ought really to have been tracking Lambertfor Southampton's second

Chadli 6 - decent contribution

Defoe 5 - hardly got a sniff

Last edited:
Are you joking, Lamela worked extremely hard defensively and put himself about which I wasnt expecting....

I thought it was quite clear Lamela is still a long way from adapting fully to this league. His increased willingness to put himself about and get stuck in, while in themselves not particularly impressive, at least show he is coming to terms with the physicality of this league. Holtby went through a similar phase (although it's a far smaller leap from German football). When he arrived, he looked like all he could do was run about. But increasingly he has been able to impose himself upon games with telling passes and a couple of goals, and I believe Lamela will undergo a similar transformation this season.

He is still far from acclimatised to the time he is afforded to make decisions. Numerous times today Lamela found brilliant space, looked to execute an excellent idea (at least 1 shot and several passes) but was just too slow. His decision making looks solid, but the speed of execution still isn't there. As someone else suggested, next season will be the time to judge him in earnest.

While I think we looked better after he came off, and that Chadli had a better game than him, he needs to keep starting games if he is going to get up to speed any time soon. I think we have a quality player on our hands if we have a bit of patience.

Back