• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings - Norwich

For what it's worth
Lloris 7
Walker 7
Daws 7
Vert 7
Rose 8
Dembele 7
Paulinho 7
Sig 8
Townsend 6.5
Eriksen 8.5 m.o.m
Soldado 6.5

Sig scored higher for scoring twice :) Bobby Soldier worked hard, still getting to know his teammates, couple of times made good runs but was not found. And Andros marked down for the incessant shooting, love the guy but he needs to pick options better

Very pleasing performance from Danny Rose today but he got caught behind the defensive line a few times. On one occasion could have been very costly but he blocked vanwolfswinkel's shot. We need to sort out our defensive line (even though that sounds weird having conceded only one goal), as the better teams will exploit this.

Not going to mention names, but certain people's ratings are a joke. "An unspectacular performance" lol. Guess you haven't been watching us for any of the past 20 years then.

Not going to mention names, but certain people's ratings are a joke. "An unspectacular performance" lol. Guess you haven't been watching us for any of the past 20 years then.

I was born and brought up here and I've been watching "us" for the past 50 years. lol. I've seen spectacular performances, and I've seen unspectacular ones, and today's, with the best will in the world, was not particularly one of the former.

Beir bua.

Last edited:
Only watched Sky extended highlights, not sure this qualifies, but what the hell

Lloris 5 - flapped a bit
Walker 6 - thank *** he recovered from that awful England performance
Dawson 6 - decent, decent passing including a couple of excellent long diagonals, critics please take note
Verts 7 - class
Rose 7 - impressive
Dembele 7 - big improvement on last outing
Paulhino 7 - quality
Townsend 7 - if he could just hone his long range shooting a tad we'd be talking Bale II
Eriksen 7 - what a smoothie
Sigurdsson 8 - an impressive brace, so has he turned the corner at long last?
Soldado 7 - nice touches

Subs

Sandro - okay
Holtby - ditto, looked hungry
Lemela - classy touches

7 to me is a decent shift, par for the course. And today should always have been a straight forward win. 2-0 is what was expected, we went out there and got the job done well.

Lloris 5 - should be a 7 but that handball could have been costly and impacted on our next game. Think he'll learn from it.
Walker 5 - collectively with Townsend better than indivdual. Gave ball away badly a few times.
Rose 8 - superb going forward, albeit against a poor right hand side. Saved us a goal against.
Dawson 7 - not much to do
Vertonghen 7 - ditto, though a little more influential coming forward with the ball
Paulinho 7 - lovely possession and work. notably tired towards the end.
Dembele 6 - drifted out of the game a little. Paulinho and Eriksen made his shift easier.
Eriksen 9 - stunning debut
Townsend 7 - generous maybe, but was a threat throughout and stretched Norwich.
Sigurdson 0 - as we all know, he is this season's spacegoat. The reason for their one shot on goal, Hugo's yellow card and the blocked bog in the East Upper
Soldado 7 - we're supposed to be 4-3-3 but sometimes he can be left as a lone striker but he works that role hard. If that backheel had come off we'd be giving him 9s.

I was born and brought up here and I've been watching "us" for the past 50 years. lol. I've seen spectacular performances, and I've seen unspectacular ones, and today's, with the best will in the world, was not particularly one of the former.

Beir bua.

Not sure why you put "us" in quotes, but ok.

Calling one of our best performances in ages unspectacular and rating our players at 6's and 7's when many of them were excellent just suggests that you don't appreciate a good performance.

You may not be such a person, but I've noticed that many posters look for reasons to be negative rather than positive, which really is annoying to me.

So many players played excellently. Dembele (a real return to form), Paulinho, Eriksen and Sig (I really like him off the left) especially. Verts had nothing to do but still showed exceptional skill in retaining possession under pressure on a couple of occassions. I liked Rose a lot today too.

We just utterly smothered them, they had nothing on the break and the whole game was played in their half. Exciting times.

Don't think Townsend was great yesterday but I think it's good to have such a scary, direct player in the team. Everytime he gets the ball he's attacking his man and he is so robust moving with the ball, just bounces off players, that coupled with his excellent touch makes him a fantastic dribbler.

We just utterly smothered them, they had nothing on the break and the whole game was played in their half. Exciting times.

Pretty much sums up why we dominated the game and hence looked so good. But looking at the bigger picture as Mudshark does, how amazing was that performance?

I am by no means convinced that we are ready to go and do the same to the likes of Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project.
Goals remain an issue; wanting to walk the ball into the net. Sig had a great shot well saved granted, but we didn't score from out of the box, didn't score from a set piece. For a team of big guys, we do not score enough from high balls - either because our big guys can't head, or our wide men can't cross. Possibly both.

5-0 was needed as a score line to make this a stunning performance but we did dominate a Premier League opposition. I'd say if we scored the same goals yesterday as we did in Georgia then it would have been a helluva message.

Lloris - 5. Flapped at a cross that could have resulted in a goal if not for great block by Rose, and daft punch outside the area. Only other time needed was a good catch on a cross.

Walker - 6. Caught ball watching a couple of times that could have proved costly. Seems to be getting a good understanding with Townsend.
Dawson - 7. Not a lot to do but some great distribution.
Vert' - 6. Really not needed, but lucky with a fairly blatant pull on their player which would have been a pen' if offside wasn't called.
Rose - 8. Fantastic performance both defensively and attacking.

Paulinho - 8. Impressive....veeeery impressive.
Dembele - 7. Looking a lot better, but still needs to release the ball a lot quicker.

Townsend - 6. Real mixed bag for me. Obviously scared them, but doesn't always need to shoot.
Eriksen - 8. Excellent debut and the type of player we've been crying out for.
Sig' - 8. Two excellent goals. Must admit I was moaning about him going missing from the left during the game, but truly shut me up.

Soldado - 7. The guy has excellent movement and if not for some real last ditch defending would have had a couple.

I can't believe some of the ratings I'm seeing here. I thought we were great yesterday. Are we forgetting that Norwich knocked us out of the capital one cup and took 4 points off us last season? This is the exact sort of game that we've historically struggled in because normally they want it more than us, these types of teams close us down quickly and stop us playing our game but yesterday we did it to them.

We actually looked like we could score yesterday which made a nice change from previous games and we kept them from creating much. What more can you ask for really?

Personally I thought it was a good team performance, I don't think anyone stood out and I don't think anyone was terrible.

Loris 6
Walker 7
Daws 7
Verts 7
Rose 7.5
Townsend 7.5
Dembele 7
Paulinho 7
Siggy 7.5
Eriksen 8
Soldado 7

I'm one of those who thinks our performance is being underrated by many here. I thought our mix of power, possession and finesse were almost perfect (albeit against a relegation team).

Excellent: Eriksen, Paulinho, Rose

Very good: Dembele, Siggy

Good: Towsend, Walker, Soldado, Verts, Daws

Below par: Lloris

Poor: n/a

Lloris 6 - Wrongly booked but one shaky moment from a cross. Not much to do.

Walker 6 - Much better than he was for England
Dawson 6 - Not brilliant but had worse matches that's for sure
Vertonghen 7 - Composed as ever on the ball.
Rose 8 - Not a fan of his at all but easily the best all round performance I've seen from him.

Dembele 7 - Solid as ever. Can't see him keeping his place once Sandro is back to 100% match fitness.
Paulinho 7 - Needs to be further forward to be more effective but didn't do much wrong.
Townsend 6 - Far too shoot happy yesterday.
Eriksen 8 - What a debut! His first touch is great, vision, awareness, the real deal!
Sig 8 - Again, not a big fan but took his first goal very well and got in the right possession for the 2nd goal.

Soldado 7 - Finishing wasn't as sharp yesterday but he attacks the 6 yard box and any striker will tell you that will eventually pay off with goals.

Lloris 6
Rose 8
Dawson 6.5
Vertonghen 7
Walker 6
Dembele 8
Paulinho 8
Townsend 7
Eriksen 8
Siggy 8
Soldado 7.5

Thought it was a very good performance. Arguably the best under AVB

Pretty much sums up why we dominated the game and hence looked so good. But looking at the bigger picture as Mudshark does, how amazing was that performance?

I am by no means convinced that we are ready to go and do the same to the likes of Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project.
Goals remain an issue; wanting to walk the ball into the net. Sig had a great shot well saved granted, but we didn't score from out of the box, didn't score from a set piece. For a team of big guys, we do not score enough from high balls - either because our big guys can't head, or our wide men can't cross. Possibly both.

5-0 was needed as a score line to make this a stunning performance but we did dominate a Premier League opposition. I'd say if we scored the same goals yesterday as we did in Georgia then it would have been a helluva message.

Of course we couldn't do that to Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project, that would require us having complete control over two very expensively assembled champions league teams, not allowing them out of their half.

Frankly, I am not too bothered by those games. I think there will be a big difference in points this season between the top 6 and the rest of the league (though Everton might be close as well I guess). Obviously football doesn't work like that but if we were to beat those teams home and away, we'd have 84 points. The games against the other 'big' teams doesn't necessarily matter for the season. What matters is being able to get past the cannon fodder. The last few seasons, we've struggled with that. This game we did well, created quite a few good chances against a team we failed to beat 3 times last season.

I'm not going to get all excited and proclaim us this or that but I do think it was a good performance against the kind of team we often struggle with.

Lloris- 5. Didn't have much to do but what he did do, he seemed unusually panicky. We almost always lose his long kicks, I'm going to try to see next match if we at least pick up the 2nd ball on a regular basis.

Walker- 6. Again, needs to improve his attacking decisions. Often telegraphs what he is about to do when he is crossing for example and so his balls get blocked.
Dawson-7.
Vertonghen-7.
Rose-7.5. Best defensive performance I've seen from him so far and did well when attacking as well. Like Walker, needs to get more of his crosses into the box.

Dembele-7.5. Back to his best position imo and did well.
Paulinho-8. Worked incredibly hard all match and helped knit things together. He and Dembele prevented Norwich from even getting to our defence for much of the match. Excellent assist. Would have liked to see him in more goalscoring positions though.

Townsend-6.5. Showed both why I like him so much and what he needs to improve in the same match. Far far too willing to shoot yesterday (9 shots, which is the kind of thing Bale or Ronaldo do) and if he's going to be shooting that much, he needs to make sure he's working the goalkeeper more often than not and scoring on a regular basis to justify it. However, I loved seeing him attack the Norwich players as much as he did and the thing I like most abut him is that when something doesn't come off for him, he continues plugging away and doesn't hide. And he's always had that.
Eriksen-8. Very exciting and classy to watch. Excellent assist and was involved in a lot of our play. Very exited to see him and Lamela in the same team.
Siggy- 8. Two goals. Could have had a hat-trick. Well involved in build up play. Hopefully this builds his confidence and we see a lot more of this from him.

Soldado- 7. Hit the post and had another good chance. Someone a few weeks ago said he didn't have movement better than most strikers. I disagree, there were a lot of instances yesterday where he'd lost his marker in an attack and an intelligent ball would have found him in good space. Hopefully when we've gelled, the players how where he goes and Eriksen and Lamela are regular fixtures in the team, we can find these runs more often because otherwise there isn't much point to having bough Soldado, he's there to move and score. Though saying that, nicely cushioned for Eriksen. ;)

Sandro and Holtby-6.5/7. Good.
Lamela-N/a. Would have liked a bit more than 10 minutes but hopefully he'll start on Thursday.

Back