• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I'm no fan of (economic) immigration. But the Home Office is properly institutionally racist against non white Britons. Prevent forces public sector workers to spy on brown kids. It's seriously fudged

I said nothing of the sort.

Everyone I spoke to was adamant they wouldn't be leaving London. There's too much set up to work around the financial services industry that can't just appear overnight in Paris or Berlin. It's taken centuries to build up here and is why most companies will open a small EU office and use it as a conduit for transactions.

Even on a personal level - most people I know have their kids in really good schools over here. They're not about to move them and neither are they about to up sticks and move away from their families.

Uncertainty is the killer of confidence and uncertainty has been killing a number of our markets for years now.

Your tone has changed somewhat. I distinctly recall you thought opening an office in the EU would allow London firms to passport their services into the EU, with negligable effect on the city of london! The reality is somewhat different. Banks and insurers have reduced by 11% in London since 2017. This is huge and vital. Why? Becuase the losses to the UK economy and Exchequer (tax) is massive.

Trillions of pounds in revenue flow through the city and billions in tax receipts. I think it is estimated that this 11% downsizing will cost the UK tax man around £60 billion. Each year. We have government departments who's sole job is to boost our economy/investment/trade. Politicians like Thatcher and others spent decades turning the UK around from the sick man of europe into a nation businesses wanted to invest in, fighting to make the UK prosperous.

How can you call yourself a Conservative and back this clusterfuk? This is all our futures. The 60b in lost tax revenue could have been spent on hospitals, schools, roads, cutting taxes or paying off UK debt. (What happened to our tax relief from Boris btw?) When will people wake up and see brexit for what it is - an economic decision that is damaging UK prosperity, whilst delivering zero in return?

The tax take will be even less if McDonell gets his way and bans banks paying bonuses.

Funny how people couldn't hate bankers quickly enough a few years back now everyone's worried they might leave.

How has this prick avoided prison so far?

Because it is easy to hide money in chains of offshore companies. But if you do the numbers on his businesses it is so obvious and clear that he did not become the UKs largest political doner from his insurance business alone. His Russian wife, who was found to be a spy, my have had something to do with it. As did Banks many meetings with the Russian ambassador and cheap Russian gold mine investments which were kindly made available to him. These are things we know.

Because it is easy to hide money in chains of offshore companies. But if you do the numbers on his businesses it is so obvious and clear that he did not become the UKs largest political doner from his insurance business alone. His Russian wife, who was found to be a spy, my have had something to do with it. As did Banks many meetings with the Russian ambassador and cheap Russian gold mine investments which were kindly made available to him. These are things we know.
Wait! Are you saying Banks was bankrolled by the Kremlin and funnelled that money into the leave campaign and the whole thing was tainted and there should be another referendum? The next thing you'll be telling me there's some weird connection to the Trump campaign.

Your tone has changed somewhat. I distinctly recall you thought opening an office in the EU would allow London firms to passport their services into the EU, with negligable effect on the city of london! The reality is somewhat different. Banks and insurers have reduced by 11% in London since 2017. This is huge and vital. Why? Becuase the losses to the UK economy and Exchequer (tax) is massive.

Trillions of pounds in revenue flow through the city and billions in tax receipts. I think it is estimated that this 11% downsizing will cost the UK tax man around £60 billion. Each year. We have government departments who's sole job is to boost our economy/investment/trade. Politicians like Thatcher and others spent decades turning the UK around from the sick man of europe into a nation businesses wanted to invest in, fighting to make the UK prosperous.

How can you call yourself a Conservative and back this clusterfuk? This is all our futures. The 60b in lost tax revenue could have been spent on hospitals, schools, roads, cutting taxes or paying off UK debt. (What happened to our tax relief from Boris btw?) When will people wake up and see brexit for what it is - an economic decision that is damaging UK prosperity, whilst delivering zero in return?
That's quite right - they won't be going anywhere.

It's uncertainty that's damaging every market right now, not just banks. Had the remainders STFU it would all be done and forgotten about by now.

When Farrage speaks about global warming not existing, he doesn't sound comfortable. When Banks attacks the 16 year old environmentalist sailing to the US... Something doesn't sit right. Neither seem comfortable doing this. As though someone has made it mandatory they should. Someone like a nation that is heavilty relient on oil and gass it representing 60% of its GDP...
You missed out "Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams"

Wait! Are you saying Banks was bankrolled by the Kremlin and funnelled that money into the leave campaign and the whole thing was tainted and there should be another referendum? The next thing you'll be telling me there's some weird connection to the Trump campaign.
Aaron Banks is just the Left's George Soros. Attach his name to something you don't like, insert into groupthink, thing you don't like is now bad.

My sister works in finance in the city, and her company have set up a satellite office in Dublin. They have a relatively small amount of staff there now but lots of empty desks in preparation. They were required to put a full corporate structure in place and have gone with the bare minimum they could get away with, so not just a brass plate job with a spotty intern. Their desire, of course, is not to move from London at all, but if the worst happens they will flip things to having a satellite office in London. She was saying there is a lot of operations she knows of doing something similar, all just watching how the Brexit brick will play out. I'm not sure how prevalent this is industry-wide but it seems a prudent course of action. UK business out of London and EU business out of the EU. And indeed the real cost is not only businesses moving but the lost the opportunity to attract new business.

Last edited:
With all these formerly Conservative MPs being booted out and seemingly running as Independent Cons. at the next election what are the chances the Conservative party still put up candidates to run against them?

That would seem a dangerous move in an election at even normal times but even more so if Brexit doesn’t play out and they have the Brexit party already splitting their vote?

At the same time though if Johnson doesn’t follow through in removing their candidacy then the threat of suspension becomes pretty meaningless in future?

Great news - she's a nasty piece of work. Along with May, she is completely responsible for all that hostile environment brick.

I'm a conscientious objector to the Prevent scheme

What are you talking about? She just described herself as a loyal, moderate Conservative. :confused: Well, given some of the fascists in her party room, she isn't too far off the mark.

With all these formerly Conservative MPs being booted out and seemingly running as Independent Cons. at the next election what are the chances the Conservative party still put up candidates to run against them?

That would seem a dangerous move in an election at even normal times but even more so if Brexit doesn’t play out and they have the Brexit party already splitting their vote?

At the same time though if Johnson doesn’t follow through in removing their candidacy then the threat of suspension becomes pretty meaningless in future?

It's pretty hard to get elected as an independent, most will probably just step down. Some like Grieve and Hammond seem determined to stand though. People supportive of proportional representation need to be careful as with it we'd never have any independents.

Back