• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Aaron Banks, now there is a 'geezer'! Met him once and he was very charming. I thought at the time, 'now I know what Derek Trotter would have been like if he had ever got his mmillions'.

That's quite right - they won't be going anywhere.

It's uncertainty that's damaging every market right now, not just banks. Had the remainders STFU it would all be done and forgotten about by now.

Er...the official data shows they have gone somewhere. 11% have. With Brexit there is no doubt at all, more UK industry would be lost. The pound is at a new low, UK investment is too. Remind me, what do conservatives stand for?

Watch this space. The Tories will allow Brexit candidates a clear run in leave seats in which they (the Tories ) have no chance. They in turn will not stand in marginal Tory seats. Once this is all over, watch any successful Brexit MPS, as they scramble for the Tory whip, to vote in more austerity measures and neo liberal goodies for the people.

Watch this space. The Tories will allow Brexit candidates a clear run in leave seats in which they (the Tories ) have no chance. They in turn will not stand in marginal Tory seats. Once this is all over, watch any successful Brexit MPS, as they scramble for the Tory whip, to vote in more austerity measures and neo liberal goodies for the people.
Meanwhile........

So, reading the new bill again because I can be a bit of a legal geek like that sometimes.....

In their desperation to make political capital from the bill and make Johnson himself renege on his promise, they have used the very restrictive wording; "The Prime Minister must...." - 1.(4)

No provision whatsoever for anyone else to do that. There are a number of reasons why a PM may not be able to act in his normal capacity - illness being the obvious one.

Failing that, we've all seen how long it takes to nominate a new PM - resigning would leave us without a PM if nobody assumed the role in the meantime.

My personal favourite is for Johnson to send a 2nd letter accompanying the traitors' one stating that our financial contract with the EU ends on Oct31st. Their options at that point are:
  1. Refuse our request for an extension
  2. Continue our membership without getting their filthy hands on our cash
  3. Agree a deal that suits both parties before then

So, reading the new bill again because I can be a bit of a legal geek like that sometimes.....

In their desperation to make political capital from the bill and make Johnson himself renege on his promise, they have used the very restrictive wording; "The Prime Minister must...." - 1.(4)

No provision whatsoever for anyone else to do that. There are a number of reasons why a PM may not be able to act in his normal capacity - illness being the obvious one.

Failing that, we've all seen how long it takes to nominate a new PM - resigning would leave us without a PM if nobody assumed the role in the meantime.

My personal favourite is for Johnson to send a 2nd letter accompanying the traitors' one stating that our financial contract with the EU ends on Oct31st. Their options at that point are:
  1. Refuse our request for an extension
  2. Continue our membership without getting their filthy hands on our cash
  3. Agree a deal that suits both parties before then

The problem with these oh so clever lawyers and funny enough my sister is working in law for a government department. But they argue for different interpretations of things that Boris does not have to follow it if he does not want to.

Just like how Blair took us to war on dodgy advice.

Lawyers love arguing for the sake of it. Would imagine it would be easy to say the referendum result is more important then What the politicians think. The remainers were happy to ignore that.

Despite the stupid cable car thing Boris will go up a little in my opinion if he can get us out.

Will still want to vote for a progressive after that. Not Corbyn anymore, he is not fit to lead, hope we get someone good after him.

The Conservative Party plans to stand a candidate against Speaker John Bercow for his role in allowing MPs to take control of the Commons agenda.

Business secretary Andrea Leadsom accused the Speaker in the Mail on Sunday of "flagrant abuse" of process.

Breaching convention, the party plans to oppose Mr Bercow in his Buckingham constituency at the next election.

Formerly a Tory, Mr Bercow gave up his party affiliation when he took on the impartial role.

As the highest authority in the House of Commons, the Speaker chairs MPs' debates.

In order to be impartial, the Speaker resigns from their party, and - while they still stand in general elections - they are usually unopposed by the main parties, and they do not campaign on political issues.

But Ms Leadsom - who has clashed with Mr Bercow in the past - said the Tories would ignore this convention and stand against him at the next election.

She said the role of the Speaker was to be "a politically impartial, independent umpire of proceedings" and to "protect the constitution and oversee the behaviour of the House".

"But last week, the current Speaker failed us," she said.

By allowing the use of Standing Order Number 24 - a procedure normally used to trigger emergency debates - to take over the Parliamentary timetable, Mr Bercow had not "just bent the rules, he has broken them", she said.

The move meant opposition and rebel MPs could pass a law blocking a no-deal Brexit, which the prime minister said undermined his Brexit strategy.

Ms Leadsom said allowing the opposition to control the agenda in this way "ignores the government's right to govern" and undermines democracy, prompting Mr Johnson's call for a general election.

"I need TP for my bunghole, I say, and give us back an impartial speaker," she said.

It would not be the first challenge Mr Bercow has faced in his constituency since he became Speaker in 2009.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, then standing as a candidate for UKIP, lost to Mr Bercow in Buckingham in the 2010 election.

Ms Leadsom repeatedly clashed with Mr Bercow in the two years when she was Leader of the Commons, a role which made her responsible for arranging government business in Parliament.

In May last year, the Speaker apologised after claims he called Ms Leadsom a "stupid woman".

In 2018 Mr Bercow let it be known he would stand down this summer - his tenth in office.

But earlier this month he told an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe he would "fight with every breath in my body" to stop the government forcing through a no-deal Brexit by by-passing Parliament.

Last year, Mr Bercow was among MPs accused of bullying by staff in the House of Commons, although he denied the allegations.

Isnt this something else? As I said before - its more like a coup - the opposition rallying to force through their own will against the sitting governments.

Circumventing the idea of having a government altogether.

Call me naive but I've always assumed the idea of parliament was that they would work together to find a consensus to govern in the interests of their constituents, yes you have a government in the driving seat but every vote in the house counts, May's deal Brexit didn't have the numbers, no deal clearly doesn't either. This is just MP's doing their job, I don't see how it can be considered some kind of coup.

Trying to set fire to the country based on 2% differential in an advisory referendum from over three years ago with question marks over its legality and foreign influence however, does sound a bit rum to me.

Call me naive but I've always assumed the idea of parliament was that they would work together to find a consensus to govern in the interests of their constituents, yes you have a government in the driving seat but every vote in the house counts, May's deal Brexit didn't have the numbers, no deal clearly doesn't either. This is just MP's doing their job, I don't see how it can be considered some kind of coup.

Trying to set fire to the country based on 2% differential in an advisory referendum from over three years ago with question marks over its legality and foreign influence however, does sound a bit rum to me.

What parliament are currently doing, aside from subverting the general way of rule in this country, is also trying to subvert the referendum itself.

Putting us firmly on a Remain/BINO path, arguably AGAINST the will of their constituents - the ones they are supposed to represent.

All the while avoiding the GE necessary to actually attain the mandate to act that way.

Its shady. Really shady, and I dont really see how people can be comfortable with it.

Well I can, because anyone wanting remain will be happy to get their way, but honestly - have a think about the machinations going on, are you really happy with it?

Or politics is a mess, and this sort of thing sets a dangerous precedent.

Back