• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Overrated

They're consistently the chin-stroking rocker's favorite band, eliciting 'ooohs' and 'ahhhs' with 'so cool' and whatnot. Chili Peppers aren't what they were in the late 80s/early 90s, and none of the others every excited me much (Green Day are fun I suppose)…but the closest actual comparison to QOTSA is a band called Masters Of Reality, who were absolutely superb. The link is Chris Goss, who produced Kyuss early on and basically launched Josh Homme…MOR blow them ALL away...

Will check them out and see if they are worth a stroke of the beard or two

QOTSA have had some great albums - the first two and Burn the Witch in particular. the rest have their moments but not much of a fan of the more recent stuff, at least they've decided to go in a different direction i guess and tried to avoid going down the coffee table rock route which other big name rock bands have.

This thread has become what you'd expect it to be: a list of things people don't like.

Most things are going to be overrated because we're exposed to them so much. The initial interest fades away as whatever it is - TV, film, music - is flogged to death. Simpsons, X-Files... 25 series/1 movie and 9 series/2 movies. That isn't overrated, it is just successful. X-Files after Mulder was poor and Simpsons for the last, say, 10 years, has been a shadow of its former self and the movie was rubbish. The whole thing is not overrated though.

My suggestion is going to be controversial. The Shawshank Redemption. Heralded as #1 of all time on IMDB but really there's nothing to it. Think about that for a second. ALL. TIME. A 9.3 rating on IMDB. Over 2 hours of cliched, sentimental manipulation. True it shows the triumph of human spirit, but it offers nothing new, nothing to challenge the audience and it is not presented in an original way - prison is violent and corrupt; life is hard; people are nasty; friendships are formed over time. A to B to C. The ending is even hinted in the title. It's a dramatic version of a Disney film. It is the equivalent of a warm cup of tea on a rainy day. Not hot tea, warm tea. Cosy and comforting.

Still good, several Stephen King adaptations have been good (Stand By Me is also based on a short story and follows a similar formula), but best/favourite movie of all time? come on, people, watch more movies.

I'm not keen on Man of Steel or Dark Knight Rises either ;)

Music: Queens if the Stone Age, Foo Fighters
Film: Will Ferrell
TV: The Simpsons, X Files, Dr Who

I feel this caused a bit of controversy and I didn't go online after work last night so may as well clear a few things up.

QOTSA and Foo Fighters were personal picks for me. I used to play in a band and one of the other members is what you may call a lady garden. His only three frames of reference for any music were QOTSA, Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys. So when I was referencing Buddy Guy, or the Small Faces etc, all I got in reply was something about Songs for the Deaf. Got on my nerves no end. I quite like a few singles by QOTSA, but Foo Fighters I just can't figure out. How anybody from Britain can relate to a middle aged American millionaire screaming is beyond my realms of comprehension. It, for me, is completely fake. It being Dave Grohl.

The Simpsons is (sorry 'WAS') an amazing television show. Comparable to none really. But since series 12 it has been slowly declining. Does anybody watch the new series? I caught a few minutes of one not long ago and it was painful. The characters have become caricatures of themselves, wildly exaggerated to the detriment of the legacy. So for the last 13 or so years, it has been poor, save for an odd episode. Over half the shows produced that equates to. Shame really, as it was a great show.

Interesting to see no one contradicted the Will Ferrell selection though. Glad to see I'm not the only person who doesn't find him funny.

This thread has become what you'd expect it to be: a list of things people don't like.

Most things are going to be overrated because we're exposed to them so much. The initial interest fades away as whatever it is - TV, film, music - is flogged to death. Simpsons, X-Files... 25 series/1 movie and 9 series/2 movies. That isn't overrated, it is just successful. X-Files after Mulder was poor and Simpsons for the last, say, 10 years, has been a shadow of its former self and the movie was rubbish. The whole thing is not overrated though.

My suggestion is going to be controversial. The Shawshank Redemption. Heralded as #1 of all time on IMDB but really there's nothing to it. Think about that for a second. ALL. TIME. A 9.3 rating on IMDB. Over 2 hours of cliched, sentimental manipulation. True it shows the triumph of human spirit, but it offers nothing new, nothing to challenge the audience and it is not presented in an original way - prison is violent and corrupt; life is hard; people are nasty; friendships are formed over time. A to B to C. The ending is even hinted in the title. It's a dramatic version of a Disney film. It is the equivalent of a warm cup of tea on a rainy day. Not hot tea, warm tea. Cosy and comforting.

Still good, several Stephen King adaptations have been good (Stand By Me is also based on a short story and follows a similar formula), but best/favourite movie of all time? come on, people, watch more movies.

I'm not keen on Man of Steel or Dark Knight Rises either ;)

Apparently when Shawshank was released in the cinema it was widely panned and considered a flop. It was only when people started renting the movie from the local video stores (remember them!) that the film's popularity grew. I had no idea it was the #1 film on IMDB

Apparently when Shawshank was released in the cinema it was widely panned and considered a flop. It was only when people started renting the movie from the local video stores (remember them!) that the film's popularity grew. I had no idea it was the #1 film on IMDB

Sorry I think you're wrong. It didn't take much cash at the box office but was highly praised. Certainly not 'widely panned'.

Sorry I think you're wrong. It didn't take much cash at the box office but was highly praised. Certainly not 'widely panned'.

Maybe that's what I'd heard then. Think it was on the channel 4 100 movies you must see programme a few years back

As Mulletboy said, it wasn't widely panned. Pretty sure it was nominated for Best Picture.

But, my theory is it was always a little gem that was one of those movies that you would say you thought was brilliant in order to impress people. And this all sort of happened when the internet and specifically IMDB kicked off, so you had a lot of people at the time voting for it when there was a wave of hipsterish attention to that movie.

The IMDB rankings are flawed anyway. It is what it is, a massive popularity contest.

For what its worth, I love Shawshank. Its one of those movies that once you see it on, you cant help but watch it to the end.

Feel the same about Green Mile. Apparantly it goes for 2 and a half hours or so, but I wouldnt know. Time stands still when I watch that movie.

Green mile is a much better film than shawshank. I think it has something to do with the feel good ending happening to the likeable characters that people rave about shawshank.

I also tend to agree that I would not rate it as number 1 film on imdb but I think it reaches a bigger audience than some of the better films I would rate above it so gets more votes.

Green mile just leaves me in bits great film .

It was on limited release, I read earlier. Critics saw it and liked it but not many people had the chance to see it until DVD/Video rentals stocked it.

It was on limited release, I read earlier. Critics saw it and liked it but not many people had the chance to see it until DVD/Video rentals stocked it.

Yes. But it was not panned by the critics, if anything the reviews were very good.

Green mile is a much better film than shawshank. I think it has something to do with the feel good ending happening to the likeable characters that people rave about shawshank.

I also tend to agree that I would not rate it as number 1 film on imdb but I think it reaches a bigger audience than some of the better films I would rate above it so gets more votes.

Green mile just leaves me in bits great film .

I mentione din the movie thread that Green Mile is the only movie barring Cool Runnings that brings a tear or five billion.

Blood Diamond - which I saw last week, right at the end - the music the scene and everything else brought a tear or five

Music: Adele, The Beatles, Radiohead, Lady Gaga, Nirvana, U2
Film: American Hustle, American Beauty, The Lion King, Titanic, Shakespeare In Love, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, Avatar
TV: The Big Bang Theory

Not all of those are bad, they are just overrated.

I think there was a massive Radiohead backlash when they went 'electronic' and people just wanted The Bends II.

Dunno if you've heard their newer stuff, but IMO it's hard to over rate this...

The drum pattern, the bass, the melody, then when the guitar sidles up to you...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMYu39U2B0

I mentione din the movie thread that Green Mile is the only movie barring Cool Runnings that brings a tear or five billion.

Blood Diamond - which I saw last week, right at the end - the music the scene and everything else brought a tear or five

Blood diamond is another great film agree pretty sad at the end

Music: Prince
Film: Blazing Saddles (anything by Mel Brooks really),
TV: All of the reality show dross: Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, Millionaire Matchmaker, etc
Sports: The NFL &NBA

Back