• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* OMT Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham *

Quite a nice run of games coming up in the league before the March international break

- Chelsea (h) - we know their form
- Wolves (a) - 15th in the league
- Forest (h) - 13th in the league
- Southampton (a) - bottom

He isn't playing the same though.

Some of his weaknesses are still there. Not a great crosser or dribbler. His buildup play has improved significantly imo. He's also better both at off the ball movement and combination play on the final third.

He's also now playing with a confidence and swagger that wasn't really there before. No look passes, some nice skill moves. Probably always had some of that in his locker, but it wasn't exactly visible before.

I don’t think so, I think the only thing that’s changed is perception of and appreciation from the fans.

He was a solid player for us last season too.

Quite a nice run of games coming up in the league before the March international break

Sheffield United in the cup. Milan in the CL are perfectly possible to get at.

Would be good to get out of the consistant inconsistency. Put a bit of a run together. No easy games though and that inconsistency has been difficult to shake.

Just to pick up on one point. I mostly agree with the rest.

I think Dier's role often is to play it a bit slower. Not saying he's always right to do that, there are times when he probably should just move things along quicker. But often the wide CBs get less time on the ball, are put under pressure quicker.

I think Dier, at least sometimes, is supposed to wait, let the opponents get closer before passing. Create a bit of space further up.
One thing Dier's always doing when "slowing it down" is using his body shape to move the presser in the direction he wants.

You're right, it's far easier for the wide CBs to get the ball out faster as that usually means we're at least part way through or around the press. When the central CB has the ball, you'd expect any team that's even heard of a press to have everyone else marked up. 80+ passes in a match with 85%+ accuracy, without regularly resorting to a back pass is good for any defender.

One thing Dier's always doing when "slowing it down" is using his body shape to move the presser in the direction he wants.

You're right, it's far easier for the wide CBs to get the ball out faster as that usually means we're at least part way through or around the press. When the central CB has the ball, you'd expect any team that's even heard of a press to have everyone else marked up. 80+ passes in a match with 85%+ accuracy, without regularly resorting to a back pass is good for any defender.

I'm not sure it's easier for the wide centre backs. I think they will often have fewer easy option passes and be under pressure more quickly. They often have/take more responsibility for progressing the ball up the pitch, rather than just moving it side to side, often more difficult.

In some ways their decision making process can be easier though. Particularly if the opposition blocks off the pass to Dier. Get it forward, usually at most a couple of options to choose from.

But like all of our deepest players part of the decision making is if they should try to speed things up or keep the ball a bit longer to allow our players and the opposition to move. I think the decision to speed things up will more often be the right decision at wide CB than at CCB. Leading to Dier looking more like he's slowing things down.

I don't think Dier is a particularly great ball playing CCB. But he does alright for sure and yesterday I didn't think he was part of a problem in that regard, perhaps with a couple exceptions.

A few miniutes ago sounded like West Ham fans were chanting “we know what you are, we know what you are, Eric Dier, we know what you are”

I feel like I remember West Ham fans chanting this the last 5 seasons or so?

Are they chanting it because they know Dier’s a technically I gifted centre mid who plays at the back because he can’t be trusted in advanced positions?
They were chanting 'punchbags of Europe, you know what you are'.

Sheffield United in the cup. Milan in the CL are perfectly possible to get at.

Would be good to get out of the consistant inconsistency. Put a bit of a run together. No easy games though and that inconsistency has been difficult to shake.

Cup games too yes, though the top 4 positions look tight this year and we need to get some consistency in the league results as you say and the above run of games gives the opportunity to do that

I view the CL as a freebie given that we're unlikely to win it. Obviously would be nice to make the QFs but going out isn't a disaster. FA Cup is very open and we seem to getting reasonable draws so far this year too

League positions are less important now, especially calling Southampton out for being last place. Yes, they haven’t been good until now BUT they will be likely scrapping for it, fighting for the points to avoid relegation. They will likely turn up and give their all. Will we? Will we have enough to win in an away ground against a team we are expected to beat? We can’t be complacent, we have to fight just as hard if not harder. Know that within 90 minutes we walk away a loser or we win and continue making our season the best that it can be. Which do we want?

Let’s treat every opponent with maximum respect. Let’s be the best that we can be. If we do that we ought to earn good results. If not we don’t deserve any point.

I don’t know why people bother posting this ‘looks great on paper stuff’. It doesn’t matter if Chelsea have lost ten in a row, they always turn up against us. People were saying what a nice fixture Leicester was and look what happened - take each games as it comes, none will be easy - especially with the way we are playing….

All very possible to win. One game at a time, and who knows. We can do it!

I don’t know why people bother posting this ‘looks great on paper stuff’. It doesn’t matter if Chelsea have lost ten in a row, they always turn up against us. People were saying what a nice fixture Leicester was and look what happened - take each games as it comes, none will be easy - especially with the way we are playing….

Exactly. There are always surprising results particularly at the business end of the season. By all accounts, Chelsea were good in the two games before Southampton. After bringing in so many players, they’ll get a result soon. I just hope it’s not on Sunday but I’m far from confident.

One game at a time. fudge what everyone else is doing.

Just saw the penalty now. It wasn’t obvious in the stadium but Sweet Baby Jesus, never was a more stonewall penalty not awarded by VAR. An unbelievable decision. Not even debatable.
oh but apparently it is, because apparently to some he was on his way down....outstanding really how the rules seems to change for each game

Was thinking the same, never an easy Chelsea game ever and this won't be.

I'm not sure it's easier for the wide centre backs. I think they will often have fewer easy option passes and be under pressure more quickly. They often have/take more responsibility for progressing the ball up the pitch, rather than just moving it side to side, often more difficult.

In some ways their decision making process can be easier though. Particularly if the opposition blocks off the pass to Dier. Get it forward, usually at most a couple of options to choose from.

But like all of our deepest players part of the decision making is if they should try to speed things up or keep the ball a bit longer to allow our players and the opposition to move. I think the decision to speed things up will more often be the right decision at wide CB than at CCB. Leading to Dier looking more like he's slowing things down.

I don't think Dier is a particularly great ball playing CCB. But he does alright for sure and yesterday I didn't think he was part of a problem in that regard, perhaps with a couple exceptions.
I don't think anyone would describe him as great on the ball. I do think though, that slowing down with it is an attempt to ensure that he's able to play though the first line rather than across the front of it.

oh but apparently it is, because apparently to some he was on his way down....outstanding really how the rules seems to change for each game
Quite. On his way down, apparently stretching his arm out reflexively to cushion his fall. But in control enough to move his open palm (hardly braced for impact) towards the ball, look around, and seemingly recover his balance without too much effort. Clear penalty shout for me, with the only question then being whether Kane was offside.

If we hadn't won the game anyway I'd be fuming. Nice of Stellini to come out at the end of the game and tell it how it was -- less pressure on an assistant coach to tow the line.

Even a serial match official apologiser like Dermot Gallagher thinks it should have been a penalty, albeit with the caveat that there wasn't enough there for VAR to over-rule Oliver:
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...as-a-clear-handball-spurs-miss-out-on-penalty

I don’t think so, I think the only thing that’s changed is perception of and appreciation from the fans.

He was a solid player for us last season too.

Solid yes but I agree with @braineclipse that he has modified his game to reduce his deficiencies. He hardly ever crosses now, preferring instead to play it simple, usually to Kulu. It has made him so much more effective and removes the moans we heard from the crowd previously when his crossing went wayward or he failed to beat the man in front of hi,

Oliver was saying to 3/4 of our players before the 2nd half started, it was because he was stooping down is why he didn't give it
So from now on all you have to do is stoop down, handball it and it won't be given

Exactly. There are always surprising results particularly at the business end of the season. By all accounts, Chelsea were good in the two games before Southampton. After bringing in so many players, they’ll get a result soon. I just hope it’s not on Sunday but I’m far from confident.

One game at a time. fudge what everyone else is doing.
Yep and theyve got a free week to work on things properly.

We are a very average team with bentancur missing.

I’d be shocked if we won anymore than just the forest game tbh.

Back