• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v S.S. Lazio***

Mason to start? Hope not

As I said before, given Siggy and Dempsey have been brick so far, I dont see how someone like Mason or Pritchard could add less. Cant see AVB playing either of them mind you - think he'll play Sigurdsson.

When football fans are debating Europe’s best playmakers, you rarely hear mention of Lazio’s Brazilian midfielder Hernanes.

But more gifted number tens have stuttered in recent years – Yoann Gourcuff has had a miserable couple of seasons, Wesley Sneijder hasn’t been on form since Jose Mourinho left Inter, Javier Pastore hasn’t quite fulfilled his early promise at PSG and Shinji Kagawa is yet to settle at Manchester United. Meanwhile, Hernanes is quietly and efficiently turning in excellent performances for Lazio.

The Brazilian has slipped under the radar. It’s easy to see why – Lazio haven’t challenged for the Scudetto in recent years, nor have they been a Champions League side. His eight Brazilian caps have been spread across four years – the most notable moment being a straight red card for a high tackle at the Stade de France last year – so he’s had little opportunity to impress on the highest stage.

hernanes-470.jpg

Yet he’s been amongst the best performers in Serie A this season, and can play the role of orchestrator, creator or goalscorer, with 24 goals in 78 Serie A appearances. The only question is whether he’ll start tonight’s game against Tottenham. He was rested for Lazio’s previous Europa League fixture, against Panathinaikos, but with Miroslav Klose out injured, Vladimir Petkovic is likely to want his on-form Brazilian in the side.

A little like Chelsea’s Oscar, Hernanes isn’t a classic Brazilian number ten – he’s more disciplined and responsible without the ball, happy to fulfil his defensive duties. That was evident in Lazio’s opening Europa League game away at White Hart Lane, a relatively uninspiring 0-0 draw. Hernanes mucked in and helped out Lazio’s other midfielders, making three interceptions but also conceding three fouls.

hernanes-1.png

Hernanes’ next Europa League outing, at home to Maribor, was a better example of his attacking ability. As the positions of his received passes shows, Hernanes doesn’t simply wait for the ball in the opposition third, he drifts into deeper positions near the halfway line to start Lazio attacks, then gets himself higher up the pitch to provide the final pass. He also tested the goalkeeper from long range, although he did have a penalty saved – he’s normally reliable from the spot.

hernanes-2.png

Against Panathinaikos in Athens, his role changed. In away matches he tends to play a much more conservative role, and his passes are indicative of a cautious, defensive-minded strategy from Petkovic in order to ensure a draw – which is exactly the result Lazio picked up. Hernanes barely plays a pass into the final third, although he did showcase his ability to jink past opposition midfielders – more successful in deep positions than when close to the edge of the box.

hernanes-3.png

He only created one chance in that match – and even that was hardly an incisive ball – while his shots were from difficult angles. As a player comfortable on either foot, he’s difficult to close down in those type of positions.

hernanes-4.png

As a true all-round attacking midfielder, able to shoot, pass and dribble, Hernanes is a very difficult player to stop. Even keeping it tight between defence and midfield is no guarantee of success, as the Brazilian wanders into deeper positions, where he’s entirely comfortable.

Andre Villas-Boas’ trump card may well be Sandro – the last time Hernanes started a match for Brazil, the 2-1 win over Bosnia in February, Sandro was used just behind him in midfield. The two know each other well, and it would be an intriguing battle in the centre of the Stadio Olimpico pitch.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/archive/2012/11/22/spurs-must-shackle-lazio-playmaker-hernanes-to-keep-europa-hopes-intact.aspx

AVB mentioned him as one of his favorite players.

Well this thread is a bit flat today...

Where's the build-up? the excitement? it's Europe ffs!

8-[

actions far away from the stadium do not effect the club

if it were to happen in the stands, now that is a different story..

------------ Lloris
Walker Caulker Vertonghen Naughton
- Sigurdsson Sandro Carroll
--- Dempsey Ade Bale

Subs: Cudicini, Dawson, Huddlestone, Lennon, Dembele, Livermore, Defoe

interesting line up that

re Lloris - reckon this will be the start of an extended run

------------ Lloris
Walker Caulker Vertonghen Naughton
- Sigurdsson Sandro Carroll
--- Dempsey Ade Bale

Subs: Cudicini, Dawson, Huddlestone, Lennon, Dembele, Livermore, Defoe

I quite like it!!

Some good passers in midfield with Carroll and Sigurdsson and then you got Sandro behind them mopping up, you have Bale's wing threat, Adebayors hold up play and hopefully Dempseys goal threat. Solid defence too as well as goalkeeper.

LETS DO THEM!

Great lineup and exactly how I would've picked the team except for a Dempsey - Lennon swap. Would settle for a draw, but really think a win is possible.

Great to see Dembele back on the bench today too. I wonder if this formation does well if we'll see it against West Ham but with Lennon instead of Dempsey and Dembele either instead of Carroll or Sigurdsson. I think Lennon being on the bench and being an impact player could be very helpful tonight!

Great to see Dembele back on the bench today too. I wonder if this formation does well if we'll see it against West Ham but with Lennon instead of Dempsey and Dembele either instead of Carroll or Sigurdsson. I think Lennon being on the bench and being an impact player could be very helpful tonight!

I'm curious to see how it looks in reality, what positions will Dempsey and Sigurdsson take up?

Back