• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v EVERTON ***

It was Dier's man. Dier just let him run off and score. Meanwhile Wanyama didn't defend at all, he just watched like I did.

Winks is VERY capable of seeing out a game. In fact he won us the game with his deft freekick and bravery of NOT just going to the corner to waste time.

Dembele can't last more than 65 mins, we see it every week

As he stepped up. I said dont be banging a ball into the box, eat the time up.

When we scored the missus looked over and said. 'You were saying???'

And that's why I sat here, and he is out there....

It was Dier's man. Dier just let him run off and score. Meanwhile Wanyama didn't defend at all, he just watched like I did.

Winks is VERY capable of seeing out a game. In fact he won us the game with his deft freekick and bravery of NOT just going to the corner to waste time.

Dembele can't last more than 65 mins, we see it every week

I'll have to watch it again, then. I felt it wasn't dangerous until Aldeweireld jumped for it and completely missed - if the man covering on the near side doesn't get his header, then it always gets exponentially harder to defend, even if you do stick to your man (toe on the ball can send it anywhere, etcetera).

I don't actually think Winks is capable of offering us control of the game the same way Dembele does just yet. No doubting he's an intelligent player (I agree that his freekick was magnificently smart), but it seems like there's just a lengthened reaction time in 50:50s and a slightly less coherent central midfield when he gets put on in Dembele's place. Might not be down to him at all (might be down to the team not being as used to playing with Winks next to Wanyama as it is to the Dembele-Wanyama pivot), but it's something to look out for and manage nonetheless - *especially* when, as you say, Dembele can't really last the full game most weekends.

I only heard the game on the radio. We sounded comfortable for 80-odd minutes, then got a bit sloppy. 3-2 flattered Everton, right? A solid 3 points.

That is OK when defending, but I'm talking about when Spurs have the ball.
For instance when someone (Wanyama?) hit the post Davies was in the centre circle rather than out wide.
one swallow, but sounds just right if i recall we had almost everyone campped in front of their penalty box when that happened.
i like it that players fall back into the center if anything to be conservative and anticipate that cruel counter from defence.

I'll have to watch it again, then. I felt it wasn't dangerous until Aldeweireld jumped for it and completely missed - if the man covering on the near side doesn't get his header, then it always gets exponentially harder to defend, even if you do stick to your man (toe on the ball can send it anywhere, etcetera).

I don't actually think Winks is capable of offering us control of the game the same way Dembele does just yet. No doubting he's an intelligent player (I agree that his freekick was magnificently smart), but it seems like there's just a lengthened reaction time in 50:50s and a slightly less coherent central midfield when he gets put on in Dembele's place. Might not be down to him at all (might be down to the team not being as used to playing with Winks next to Wanyama as it is to the Dembele-Wanyama pivot), but it's something to look out for and manage nonetheless - *especially* when, as you say, Dembele can't really last the full game most weekends.
Does look like Dier was fully expecting Alderweireld to get his head on it, like you say...

one swallow, but sounds just right if i recall we had almost everyone campped in front of their penalty box when that happened.
i like it that players fall back into the center if anything to be conservative and anticipate that cruel counter from defence.
That's my point really - if we have everyone in place, camped around their box, then they will have 10 men behind the ball and we need to use the full width of the pitch.
If the left wing back is playing like a centre back, someone else like Alli has to move to left wing, taking his threat away from the box.
Davies can cross, but he naturally inches infield until there is nobody wide and we make WHL 10 yards narrower than it already is.

Does look like Dier was fully expecting Alderweireld to get his head on it, like you say...

Yeah, he sort of makes a half-jump for it when he sees it going over Toby's head, but it's too late by then. Seems like it caught him by surprise.

Edit: managed to print-screen this webm of the goal - might give @Bullet 's point some merit, because Dier gets a bit too close to Alderweireld considering that he's gambled on Toby clearing that. The decision tree of defending in those situations (from my experiences as a goalie shouting at my defenders, anyway :p ) goes 'is it going to be cleared? If so, stick to your man. If not, can you get to the ball? If so, commit 100% to clearing it yourself. If not, *stick to your man*.'

gol.png

Dier kind of goes half-way towards Toby and away from Valencia, so he's caught in no-man's land.

Last edited:
Back