• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa FC ***

Just saw the highlights on the SKY site. Have to say, the first goal is down to Ange and his approach. The high line on the free kick is asking for trouble. All it takes is a ball into the area Villa put it and the attacker has the advantage because he's charging at it and the defender in backpeddling. There's obviously pros and cons to any approach (pack the box and put some whip on the free and it could go through and in) but it's a very, very risky approach.

I think you've got to get the line closer to the keeper for him to be able to come into the space to claim it if that's where the ball goes but without opening up a big risk of crowding your goalkeeper.

Ah well. To dare is to do...we have to live by it and die by it.

Two comments

- The goal came from a dive from the Villa player, wasn't even a foul
- We struggled all night against crosses because we didn't have a CB, Royal & Davies clearly are dominant players in the air

We conceded to one of their CB's making the run, so while I agree in principle re your observation, the lack of us having a CB was at fault for both goals, 1st one I'd back Romero/VDV to get to, 2nd one, again I'd expect one of Romero/VDV would have stepped out to close down.

Two comments

- The goal came from a dive from the Villa player, wasn't even a foul
- We struggled all night against crosses because we didn't have a CB, Royal & Davies clearly are dominant players in the air

We conceded to one of their CB's making the run, so while I agree in principle re your observation, the lack of us having a CB was at fault for both goals, 1st one I'd back Romero/VDV to get to, 2nd one, again I'd expect one of Romero/VDV would have stepped out to close down.
I think that's fair comment (albeit I didn't see the "foul" back). The lack of Romero and VdV was massive for us particularly on crosses and free kicks (both ours and theirs). But the point remains IMO. Defending free kicks with that high a line is very, very risky.

To be fair to Emery, “doing” Bentancur was a tactical shift, Cash is their hatchet man.

McGinn is a horrible little clam. I was so impressed with him, bet Villa fans love him.

To be fair to Emery, “doing” Bentancur was a tactical shift, Cash is their hatchet man.

McGinn is a horrible little clam. I was so impressed with him, bet Villa fans love him.
He's a horrible clam. Wanted to go down and chin him (as if I'd be able if I was facing him :D ). Martinez too. His theatrics at full time wound me right up. Woolwich reject clam.

Exactly the sorts of players and behaviour you love if it's your team and detest if you're on the end of it. Football really fudges with your perspective and emotions.

He's a horrible clam. Wanted to go down and chin him (as if I'd be able if I was facing him :D ). Martinez too. His theatrics at full time wound me right up. Woolwich reject clam.

Exactly the sorts of players and behaviour you love if it's your team and detest if you're on the end of it. Football really fudges with your perspective and emotions.

We are brick at that side of the game this season, and it’s costing us.

We are brick at that side of the game this season, and it’s costing us.
Romero is a c**t to be fair.

I don't think Ange will allow it. When we got ahead of Sheffield United after all their timewasting flimflam, Bissouma tried to brickhouse by pretending to be injured and Ange was right on him to get the f**k up. Ange really believes in the purity of the game and wants his team to reflect that.

I don't think Ange will allow it. When we got ahead of Sheffield United after all their timewasting flimflam, Bissouma tried to brickhouse by pretending to be injured and Ange was right on him to get the f**k up. Ange really believes in the purity of the game and wants his team to reflect that.

I think you can get away with that at Celtic…

I think you can get away with that at Celtic…
Let's see how it goes. I agree with Ange in theory so I'm good to go with it but suspect that might be the case.

This guy does it differently. He doesn't moan about refs, he doesn't bemoan injuries, he wants his team to play on the front foot regardless of circumstance, he wants us to play fair. All of that aligns with what I believe about football and our traditions as a club. But, you have to be honest about it, some of it could prevent us from developing that much sought after "winning mentality" or from being streetwise.

Just saw the highlights on the SKY site. Have to say, the first goal is down to Ange and his approach. The high line on the free kick is asking for trouble. All it takes is a ball into the area Villa put it and the attacker has the advantage because he's charging at it and the defender in backpeddling. There's obviously pros and cons to any approach (pack the box and put some whip on the free and it could go through and in) but it's a very, very risky approach.

I think you've got to get the line closer to the keeper for him to be able to come into the space to claim it if that's where the ball goes but without opening up a big risk of crowding your goalkeeper.

Ah well. To dare is to do...we have to live by it and die by it.

Quite common to have a high line for free kicks, it stops the attacking side getting so close to the goal, and also getting a run on defenders. The goal was more to do with lacking a tall CB than any tatical issue.

Quite common to have a high line for free kicks, it stops the attacking side getting so close to the goal, and also getting a run on defenders. The goal was more to do with lacking a tall CB than any tatical issue.
Defending them that high, in my opinion, is a bad idea for the reasons I mentioned. Gives the attacker the initiative and allows them to attack the ball. Even with VdV and Romero, that's still difficult to defend especially against a lad as big as Torres. There has to be a balance where you get the defenders closer to the 'keeper so he can take any balls in the empty space without being crowded.

I've seen sides like Liverpool do it and thought it was insane for them too. But, to be fair, I'm an office worker, not a football manager.

Defending them that high, in my opinion, is a bad idea for the reasons I mentioned. Gives the attacker the initiative and allows them to attack the ball. Even with VdV and Romero, that's still difficult to defend especially against a lad as big as Torres. There has to be a balance where you get the defenders closer to the 'keeper so he can take any balls in the empty space without being crowded.

I've seen sides like Liverpool do it and thought it was insane for them too. But, to be fair, I'm an office worker, not a football manager.

I think it is a fair point with Davies playing at CB. But with Romero and VDV, no probs at all. They have the pace to keep up. That was the issue, Davies was it wasn't fast enough or physical enough. Otherwise thought he and Royal did well.

Under Conte I was calling for Royal to play CB (in a 3) and I thought he did well. He's switched on and a good defender. Certainally ample cover for Romero.

Last edited:
I think it is a fair point with Davies playing at CB. But with Romero and VDV, no probs at all. They have the pace to keep up. That was the issue, Davies was it wasn't fast enough or physical enough. Otherwise thought he and Royal did well.

Under Conte I was calling for Royal to play CB (in a 3) and I thought he did well. He's switched on and a good defender. Certainally ample cover for Romero.
Yeah fair enough, it's a fair argument even if I don't agree and we'll see how it goes as the season goes on.

Is there an argument for adapting how you defend free kicks based on the personnel available?

Yeah fair enough, it's a fair argument even if I don't agree and we'll see how it goes as the season goes on.

Is there an argument for adapting how you defend free kicks based on the personnel available?
Yes. But probably a greater argument for staying true to a vision. We’re only a few months in so learning different setups could be confusing. As sides develop having surprises for the opponents with new setups keeps things fresh. I think city constantly update and change. You probably become a bit stale if you don’t. But now, we have a singular focus on one way of playing. I respect Ange for that. You back your preferred setup and perfect it. It’s not easy to back when results go against you. But Poch for example at the end of his tenure with us was chopping and changing everything. When the setup he started the season with was probably the best considered choice. Sometimes you have to trust your judgment and belligerently stick to your guns. The last 3 games have been a bit like that. Leading in all three, creating, but not putting games to bed, there is every reason to back and improve what we are doing. Rather than change it up.

He did exactly the same with Porro yesterday. Signalling to tell him to get up (after that tackle) and was exasperated when the ref signalled for the physio to come on.

It’s bad
var wasn’t turned on
Even Roy Keane said they were lucky and he is anti us
And because a ref doesn’t give a foul it doesn’t mean there weren’t fouls ..
Doesn’t Roy Keane support Spurs? (Am sure he’s said that before?)

VAR wasn’t switched on?…. Seriously? Wow, I didn’t realise that.

Back