• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa FC ***

for me its not an elbow per se. Gil Stoops down and the defender is putting out his arms to protect his area. Its a yellow for me. But its in the box? so does that mean a pen?
Yes, Gil is tiny, so when he ducks down his head is at torso height to a big defender, so when a big defender steams in to the situation and nudge the opposition away, it ends up with an elbow to the head.
IMO it would have been harsh to give it as a deliberate elbow to the head.

Watching that I’d say elbow = yes, handball =
No.

With the elbow I think it’s borderline whether it meets the ‘clear and obvious’ directive, probably not a red card and Gill wasn’t going to win the ball so perhaps a difficult one to overturn. I’d be interested to hear what ‘ref watch’ had to say on it today.
No handball for me
Penalty for the elbow
I’d go so far as to say he didn’t even know Gil was there
But that’s the second home game on the trot they have let that go… and that’s not normal match behaviour imo

According to today’s View From the Lane podcast, yesterday we were the first team in the PL era to start a game without a recognised central defender or defensive midfielder on the pitch.

According to today’s View From the Lane podcast, yesterday we were the first team in the PL era to start a game without a recognised central defender or defensive midfielder on the pitch.

Not having that, how many games has Ben Davies played at CB in his career.

Bentancur has started plenty of games as the deeper of our midfielders too.

I remember Johnson taking a poor pass from Son and somehow making that into a one on one chance that Villa’s keeper saved well.

I don’t remember anything that Gill did to really impact the game other than one good cross that Son missed. He came deep to get the ball and completed pointless dribbles in his own half a few times, that looks good for the purposes of player stats but doesn’t really impact the game. He was given the ball in some good positions only to have poor final product or take the wrong option.

I suspect we’ll sell him back to Spain in January if we can find a team who will pay us his remaining net book value (I don’t think we could find a team to do that last summer or winter (hence him still being here)

He had some really nice inter play around the box and also a decent shot early on.

Think the ref bottled it not sending off Cash personally. The ref blew for a very minor foul by Cash just before HT and after the Bentancur incident which in itself wasn’t a booking but he would have been within his rights to book him for an accumulation of fouls. When he booked him, he should have told Cash “one more and you’re off, no matter how innocuous it is”. Emery hauled him off because he knew Cash was walking a tightrope.

Think the ref bottled it not sending off Cash personally. The ref blew for a very minor foul by Cash just before HT and after the Bentancur incident which in itself wasn’t a booking but he would have been within his rights to book him for an accumulation of fouls. When he booked him, he should have told Cash “one more and you’re off, no matter how innocuous it is”. Emery hauled him off because he knew Cash was walking a tightrope.

Can you point out in the rules where it says that two fouls equates to a second booking because the first one was a bad one? Probably not, because it doesn't say that anywhere, it's just what you want the ref to have done, rather than what they are obliged to do. Agreed on the tightrope assessment, it was good management to get him off the pitch before the ref did.

I get the frustration because of the impact to the result itself and also to Bentancur's season, I do think a yellow card isn't a good enough punishment but also don't really know how you'd go about making it "fair". Even if it was a red (which I don't think it should have been) it doesn't undo the damage to the recipient of the challenge's well-being nor the team.

What a weird and also inaccurate observation. Just because a player might not be noted as a CB or DM on FIFA or whatever doesn't mean they don't play that position. Bentancur's played a deep lying midfield role many a time and Davies has been a mainstay at LCB for Wales and for us under Conte. Maybe that particular pod isn't as eagle eyed as our lot on here and missed last season?

Even if it was a correct assessment, what's the angle? We lost the game. It's not impressive nor notable to play players in the "wrong" position and then losing. Unless it's an attempt at a "boohoo we've got some injuries" approach, I thought Royal did pretty well to be fair even if he is apparently unrecognizable as a CB - He won't bring brute strength in the air but is confident on the ball.

What a weird and also inaccurate observation. Just because a player might not be noted as a CB or DM on FIFA or whatever doesn't mean they don't play that position. Bentancur's played a deep lying midfield role many a time and Davies has been a mainstay at LCB for Wales and for us under Conte. Maybe that particular pod isn't as eagle eyed as our lot on here and missed last season?

Even if it was a correct assessment, what's the angle? We lost the game. It's not impressive nor notable to play players in the "wrong" position and then losing. Unless it's an attempt at a "boohoo we've got some injuries" approach, I thought Royal did pretty well to be fair even if he is apparently unrecognizable as a CB - He won't bring brute strength in the air but is confident on the ball.
It was a weird podcast to be fair
Danny Kelly ain’t happy that we’re not being more negative

It was a weird podcast to be fair
Danny Kelly ain’t happy that we’re not being more negative

It just seems ill researched going by Mikey's quote! No idea who Danny Kelly is.

To be fair it's a hard club to produce rational balanced content about without seeming click bait-esque. Anyone who truly follows the club is likely to be damaged it by one way or another, if someone tells you otherwise they are lying.

To be top of the league and then suffer 3 (likely 4) defeats in a row, we're already in record breaking territory, just not necessarily the records we're wanting to break...

Yes, Gil is tiny, so when he ducks down his head is at torso height to a big defender, so when a big defender steams in to the situation and nudge the opposition away, it ends up with an elbow to the head.
IMO it would have been harsh to give it as a deliberate elbow to the head.
Deliberate or not, it's a forceful elbow to the head/neck. It's not just a defender extending his arm to shield the ball - his arm is bent, there is force in the movement, and he leads with his elbow. Gil's size is irrelevant. That's a red and a pen for me.

Can you point out in the rules where it says that two fouls equates to a second booking because the first one was a bad one? Probably not, because it doesn't say that anywhere, it's just what you want the ref to have done, rather than what they are obliged to do. Agreed on the tightrope assessment, it was good management to get him off the pitch before the ref did.

I get the frustration because of the impact to the result itself and also to Bentancur's season, I do think a yellow card isn't a good enough punishment but also don't really know how you'd go about making it "fair". Even if it was a red (which I don't think it should have been) it doesn't undo the damage to the recipient of the challenge's well-being nor the team.

It doesn’t say it in the rules but it’s almost an unwritten law, we’ve seen players get sent off for an accumulation of fouls even if the foul that got them sent off is relatively harmless. Cash’s foul on Bentancur was borderline to say the least but any further fouls should have resulted in him being sent off IMO. Maybe a clunky analogy but the US government eventually got Al Capone for tax evasion.

Back