• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa FC ***

There is both a handball and an elbow in the same frame -> https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/184e98p/diego_carlos_elbow_on_bryan_gil/ Can't be that bad?

I'd have to assume you weren't at the game? two fouls in a row on Bentancur (first live looked like an instant red), the ridiculous tackle on Porro that didn't even get called a foul, the handball, elbow, the fact that both Cash and McGinn should have been off.

This is the "tactic" Chelsea taught the PL against this version of Spurs (Wolves did it, Villa did it even more), when we have a rhythm, we cause most teams problems, late tackles, afters, shirt pulling, tactical fouling to stop the flow is what we now have to learn how to deal with.
I was at the game. There was the one bad foul on Bentancur. I don’t remember another foul on him at all after that, my recollection was that he was limping from that moment on and then signalled to the bench and went down himself away from the ball a few minutes after the bad challenge.

The Porro one was a 50-50 that their player won, there was then contact with Porro but it wasn’t dangerous play.

The elbow I didn’t notice at all from my seat in the East stand. The handball I saw our players appeal for but couldn’t see anything clear from my seat (and I’m not sure that a handball counts towards a team ‘kicking another team off the park’

All teams commit tactical fouls mate. It will be part of the game until the rules change to stop them. Though yesterday’s game had a pretty even number of fouls for both teams. Other than the potential elbow/handball that I didn’t see so can’t comment on I thought the ref handled the game pretty well overall.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Levy is unlikely to keep a manager who finishes 8th once, let alone twice….
I think those days are gone, especially now Levy has a DOF on the Board. If the fans stay behind Ange, and there is clearly progress happening, why would wouldn't the Club let the manager have the time he needs to build the right squad?
I’m merely using events from history to try to predict the likely future.

Interesting, as I thought that Johnson was better than Gill by a reasonable margin.

Can't remember anything of note Johnson did, happy to be enlightened. At least Gil was trying to create chances, keeping the ball and getting into dangerous positions.

Can't remember anything of note Johnson did, happy to be enlightened. At least Gil was trying to create chances, keeping the ball and getting into dangerous positions.

Johnson was poor

Stats -> lost 5/7 duels (71% failed), failed at 2/2 cross attempts (100% failed), got tackled in 4/5 dribble attempts (80% failed) and had a 1:1 that he didn't put away.

He was also being fudging lazy, Gil kept moving so his positioning left him wide open, Johnson did that fudging lazy thing where he was kinda open, technically yes but requiring a really good pass to find him. The couple of times Gio broke and looked up, Johnson hadn't made the run.

Like I said, guy in the seat next to me genuinely thought he had been subbed on at HT because he didn't realize he was on pitch in first half.

If we don’t get back in soon, we might never get in again.
I don't agree, I'm hopeful as we know we have an awesome first 11 question is how soon we can have good squad depth - aside from having a strong first 11, we're an attractive club for many other reasons, but yeah we can't leave it too long. We aren't as financially handicapped like during the end of Poch's era, however we must sell before we buy, a few coming to the end of contracts. I wish a proper send off for long term players like our ex Club Captain Lloris.

Doesn’t Roy Keane support Spurs? (Am sure he’s said that before?)

VAR wasn’t switched on?…. Seriously? Wow, I didn’t realise that.
Yes
And yes
Keane did but doesn’t now
And they had issues with var
They couldn’t show the ref anything and didn’t have replays

Johnson was poor

Stats -> lost 5/7 duels (71% failed), failed at 2/2 cross attempts (100% failed), got tackled in 4/5 dribble attempts (80% failed) and had a 1:1 that he didn't put away.

He was also being fudging lazy, Gil kept moving so his positioning left him wide open, Johnson did that fudging lazy thing where he was kinda open, technically yes but requiring a really good pass to find him. The couple of times Gio broke and looked up, Johnson hadn't made the run.

Like I said, guy in the seat next to me genuinely thought he had been subbed on at HT because he didn't realize he was on pitch in first half.
Those stats are odd
I think they get skewed because if he is passing to son who is offside, or if
he is himself it negates the pass

Where are they from?

Actually think we were better this time, Chelsea was in disarray those 20 minutes, they were bad (as much as we were good), Villa setup like a (organized) Conte side and we walked through them repeatedly

To me this one is a chalk off as "it happens"
Villa didn’t look anything like a Conte side to me, they played a (very) high line for example.

Last edited:
Defending them that high, in my opinion, is a bad idea for the reasons I mentioned. Gives the attacker the initiative and allows them to attack the ball. Even with VdV and Romero, that's still difficult to defend especially against a lad as big as Torres. There has to be a balance where you get the defenders closer to the 'keeper so he can take any balls in the empty space without being crowded.

I've seen sides like Liverpool do it and thought it was insane for them too. But, to be fair, I'm an office worker, not a football manager.
Problem is that Vicario doesn’t look to me like a keeper that likes to dominate his penalty area. The high line is fine but I think it has to then hold its line better instead of going back in towards our goal before the opposition deliver the free kick.

I remember Johnson taking a poor pass from Son and somehow making that into a one on one chance that Villa’s keeper saved well.

I don’t remember anything that Gill did to really impact the game other than one good cross that Son missed. He came deep to get the ball and completed pointless dribbles in his own half a few times, that looks good for the purposes of player stats but doesn’t really impact the game. He was given the ball in some good positions only to have poor final product or take the wrong option.

I suspect we’ll sell him back to Spain in January if we can find a team who will pay us his remaining net book value (I don’t think we could find a team to do that last summer or winter (hence him still being here)

Last edited:
13 fouls to 11, not a dirty game at all. Just the one bad tackle, they really didn’t ’try to kick us off the park’ mate….

Must confess that I didn’t see the elbow on Gill. Can’t have been bad though if VAR didn’t intervene?
Commentary said they had issues with VAR in the beginning of the game, and that the game was played without VAR assistance for the first part of 1st half. Apparently they lost all pictures. Don't know if they were still blind when that happened. With our luck, it wouldn't surprise me.

for me its not an elbow per se. Gil Stoops down and the defender is putting out his arms to protect his area. Its a yellow for me. But its in the box? so does that mean a pen?

Back