• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

Holtby was a bit part player last term. I expect him to significantly improve this term but sitting on the bench he won't. A couple of months of 1st team EPL football won't do him or us any harm.

Of course I would love it if he kept the new guys out of the team. He is a likeable guy as well as a very good player.

Was surprised that he didn't get the chance to come on for Dembele yesterday after his great performance last Thursday, as we clearly needed someone to get our strikers into the game what with Soldado only having 25 touches the entire match and Defoe just 7 during his 26 minute cameo.

Hopefully another impressive showing for the U21s will convince AVB that he deserves a chance in the first team, albeit he now will be competing for Eriksen in that link-up role behind the front man.

He's definitely ahead of Dembele for me - I can't see anything Dembele does that Holtby can't atm, and Holtby is the faster and more visionary passer in the final third. I think he lacks acceleration, but if he can get familiar with his teammates and vice versa quickly, that clever one-touch ability that was on display at Schalke should start showing up more for us.

Mainly it's about getting everyone on the same wavelength. I think Bale leaving will actually help Holtby, since there have been times he's been a little *too* eager to constantly give it to Bale (admittedly understandable) when he should trust his own brain.

The other issue holtby had was when bale played it meant he tended to be on the wing where he couldn't get round players as easily and couldn't put his own stamp on the game. He's tenacious, full of energy and got a great first touch but of all the attacking midfielders we have I feel he's got the least attributes to perform on the flank as he has very little in the way of ability to beat a fullback, whereas in the middle he looks like he can pass round anyone.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk 4

Hope to see Holtby Lamela Eriksen and Soldado up front for us one day.

Didn't give this much thought before... If Eriksen can play on the left as others have predicted then Holtby in the middle where he seems to play well for the U21s and Lamela on the right could be quite interesting

Hope to see Holtby Lamela Eriksen and Soldado up front for us one day.

What I suggested in my tactics thread. In theory I could see us some lovely football there. With Lennon, Townsend and Chadli all in reserve. Never had such a terrific squad. Just need results on the pitch

He's definitely ahead of Dembele for me - I can't see anything Dembele does that Holtby can't atm, and Holtby is the faster and more visionary passer in the final third. I think he lacks acceleration, but if he can get familiar with his teammates and vice versa quickly, that clever one-touch ability that was on display at Schalke should start showing up more for us.

Mainly it's about getting everyone on the same wavelength. I think Bale leaving will actually help Holtby, since there have been times he's been a little *too* eager to constantly give it to Bale (admittedly understandable) when he should trust his own brain.

I think Dembele was ahead of Holtby last season on physical presence once Sandro was injured.

With Sandro/Capoue/Paulinho as options behind, I expect Holtby to get more playing time (and Dembele to get less)

Holtby to your point had no one other than Bale to pass to, Soldado should make a good target (with his movement) for some of his passing

Didn't think he had a good game myself. Had a couple of good touches going forward but seemed to be a bit lazy on the ball and had it taken off his feet quite a few times. The mistakes he made would be punished against bigger teams.

Holtby lost his way second half against Tromso last night but his exquisitely placed, and paced, passing first half was a real delight, in particular the one that split the Tromso defence to put Defoe through for his second goal.

His loss of concentration second half to let Pritchard in on goal underlined how much he still needs to improve his all-round game if he's to challenge some of the bigger names in the squad.

But he's still young and clearly struggling to adapt to the English game. Once he gets those things sorted we'll have one very special player on our hands.

article-0-1BE4C88C000005DC-707_634x356.jpg

Is Dembele about to put the boot in there!?

Maybe he see Little Lewis as a threat to his position? :lol:

If it had been Eriksen who had played that pass for Defoe's second everyone would be creaming their pants right now.

Probably worth noting his fitness isn't up with the rest of the players yet.

Back