• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

Anyone who had seen him play before he joined would have known he has a lot of quality, people take different times to settle it happens. I can't think of one AVB signing that has been a dud and lacked quality...

Think he has to start vs Chel$ki. Perfect player to have on from the beginning to prevent a team from settling, really liking the look of him.

Lamela will be a much more effective sub for the moment.

He's come on a bit since last season...

He still probably isn't match fit after missing most of ore season and last season he wasn't completely on track with the team and played in multiple positions

He was still right up there in assists in the German league and he only played half a season

Anyone who had seen him play before he joined would have known he has a lot of quality, people take different times to settle it happens. I can't think of one AVB signing that has been a dud and lacked quality...

What about Willian?

Oh wait...

Holtby is always looking for that killer pass, it doesn't always come off and perhaps Eriksen is a bit more mature and intellectual, but Lewis is perfect when the game gets a bit frantic and legs start getting tired. :)

I think it's interesting that Holtby is hot-blooded while Eriksen is cold as an ice prince, since Holtby's fieriness seems to match up well with the cooler Lamela while Eriksen has had some success with our less measured, more shot-happy widemen in Townsend and Siggy. Of course it may just be a coincidence with the pairings' game time together, but I like the idea of having at least one "cold" type balanced with a very aggressive Suarez/Mandzukic type who can force out space for the thinkers to do their work.

By that I don't mean directness in the Townsend sense, I mean a TEAM player who constantly links up and is just an utter bastard at pushing from the front. The likes of Soldado, Siggy, Lamela, Chadli etc are all very technical and pretty clever from the glimpses we've had so far, but I think we are lacking just a little bit of that ruthlessness and meanness of a "winner's" team. We have a number of very energetic and enthusiastic players, but I think it'd be very, very useful to have an absolute ******* in the attacking triumvirate too.

good point there matching up Holtby + Lamela yin-and-yang properties.

with the potential of our midfield players, I'd like to see AVB try a 4-6-0 sometime this season.

good point there matching up Holtby + Lamela yin-and-yang properties.

with the potential of our midfield players, I'd like to see AVB try a 4-6-0 sometime this season.

I don't, we already have almost too much possession, can't see what another midfielder adds. We need to learn how to match that ability to move the ball around -> knowing what run the strikers are going to make.

In Soldado and JD, we have two natural finishers who play high up the pitch, Holtby/Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli/Townsend need to know instinctively where their run will be and get the ball to them.

From the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/25/tottenham-trophies-lewis-holtby

"Silverware is silverware. There's four cups to play for and you want to win all of them," Holtby said. "If you want to go to the top as a professional footballer you try to win every game and you try to win every trophy. That's what we are trying to do and we just have to work like we have as a team the last couple of weeks. We have a big chance of winning something but it is a very long season."

Asked whether it was important to beat Chelsea to prove to themselves, and not only the rest of the country, that Spurs can be authentic title contenders, Holtby replied: "Absolutely, especially for ourselves. I don't want to put that word [title] in the mouth but we are aiming for very high things. We want to get in the top four, we want to play Champions League. That is the main aim. I think we have the squad to do that, the quality and depth as well.

"It's early in the season. Unfortunately we lost the derby [against Arsenal 1-0] but we did the job in winning against the teams beneath us. We have to keep that up. Especially against Chelsea in the London derby, it is very important to win a big game like that to stay up top and give us the confidence we need."

Although Holtby has been restricted to only 20 minutes of Premier League football so far this season and has the unenviable task of trying to displace Christian Eriksen, the 23-year-old insists that he has no regrets about leaving Schalke for Spurs. "I get on with Christian very well. Off the pitch we do a lot of things," said Holtby.

"I wanted to come here. I could have stayed at Schalke, I could have played there all the time. But I wanted this challenge and to fulfil my dream of playing in the Premier League for a top, top club. Tottenham is going places and I'm happy to be part of it. I'm 23, I'm still young, I'm learning and progressing. And if I keep that momentum up, which I am doing right now, then I will get my chance to play, for sure.

"I have to show when I get the opportunity that I can produce something. If I keep working hard and putting on pressure it is going to be a very tough decision [as to who the manager picks] but we have so many games. I just saw the other day that we have eight games in December, January coming up and a tough November.

"You have to be prepared and up for it. At Bayern Munich everyone just did their work, did their job last season – that's why they won every title. They are always patient, they all work for the team, and that's how I see it here. If you keep producing things like we have done in the last couple weeks, then we have big things to do."

we did the job in winning against the teams beneath us. We have to keep that up. Especially against Chelsea

:lol:

Is it possible for Eriksen and Holtby to play together? If I recall correctly they played together for about 15 minutes against Tromso (or was it Norwich?) and it didn't look great.

I don't, we already have almost too much possession, can't see what another midfielder adds. We need to learn how to match that ability to move the ball around -> knowing what run the strikers are going to make.

In Soldado and JD, we have two natural finishers who play high up the pitch, Holtby/Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli/Townsend need to know instinctively where their run will be and get the ball to them.

not saying we should switch to it permanently but I think its definitely worth a try ... Lamela and Chadli are both strikers playing in midfield positions so I'd think it would be good for their all round development.

as it is we have goals pouring in from the midfield already, but I too welcome the day when our "natrual striker" strategy clicks and the floodgates open.

BU_dcNQCcAAevII.jpg

I'm not a fan of allowing set piece assists to count tbh, which I think make up at least 2 of Ozil's and 1 of Holtby's assists? I think minutes per key pass or per chance created in open play are much more useful stats than assists anyways as a measure of a player's creativity.

I'm going to take back what I said about much preferring Holtby in a deeper position, btw. He's dynamic enough to be box-to-box and he's not much of a goalscorer - certainly not to VdV's level - but he is very, very good at the throughball and should perhaps be closer to goal to keep sending through our spearheading striker and Lamela. Or better yet, he can be the right-forward CM in a 4-3-3, since he just loves feeding that righthand side. Right now he looks too dangerous a playmaker to be dropped back and asked to do a lot of defending imo.

I'm not a fan of allowing set piece assists to count tbh, which I think make up at least 2 of Ozil's and 1 of Holtby's assists? I think minutes per key pass or per chance created in open play are much more useful stats than assists anyways as a measure of a player's creativity.

I'm going to take back what I said about much preferring Holtby in a deeper position, btw. He's dynamic enough to be box-to-box and he's not much of a goalscorer - certainly not to VdV's level - but he is very, very good at the throughball and should perhaps be closer to goal to keep sending through our spearheading striker and Lamela. Or better yet, he can be the right-forward CM in a 4-3-3, since he just loves feeding that righthand side. Right now he looks too dangerous a playmaker to be dropped back and asked to do a lot of defending imo.

Actually all three of Ozil's assists in the Stoke match were off set pieces...and one them was a deflection off the keeper who basically handed it to Ramsey.

Yeah, Özil is ****, and Holtby is the new Zidane. Spot on there. :ross:
I like Lou, he's a bit off sometimes, but will always give a 100%, and can make those killer passes. Lots of potential - we need to hold on to him (or there'll be another Boateng in the making).

Back