• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

It used to be said he was a homer, but in the last couple of seasons he has done just as well away, he has also scored plenty against the top 4 as the chart shows.

He has just never really had a full chance - in AVB he seems at last top have a manager who really does believe in him. Harry would have dropped him and put Ade in against Reading.

I have always felt he has massive potential, but he has never realized it.

Technically he is a very good player, especially for an Englishman. His passing is often under rated. He is rarely sloppy, because he is two footed, he can put in an unpredictable one. He often plays a cute well timed pass.

As a first choice striker, who starts and finishes most games, he is nailed on for 20 goals a season.

I read something today saying he has the worst passing competition rate in the league this season. Siggy was second worst!

JD now has the joint most PL goals @ WHL for us 55 with Keane and is joint 8th in our top 10 scorers list on 122, 2 behind Teddy on 124

JD now has the joint most PL goals @ WHL for us 55 with Keane and is joint 8th in our top 10 scorers list on 122, 2 behind Teddy on 124

Impressive, especially considering he has more or less been playing the part of a super-sub here for the past 4 or 5 years. Would be interesting to see a goals per min ratio.

SHould still be dropped for Ade when Ade's fit again!! Today showed the problem with Defoe and the 4-2-3-1 formation - we were useless up top in the first half as we had a CF who couldnt hold the ball up. Granted Siggy's vanishing act didnt help but Defoe needs to be up top alongside a big man and I would be amzed is AVB ever plays a traditional 4-4-2

now the question is can a better striker achieve a better strike and assist rate than defoe.
by all accounts ade was better last season, so interesting battle we have all over the pitch for positions - goalie, striker, cB etc.

kudos to Defoe for his goal. tried hard on his own. still frustrating when he strays offside when looking down the line & his shoot on sight policy.

Defoe could literally be PL top scorer and still a good number of fans would want him off the team or at least benched. his style of play just isn't sexy, and he is offside a lot. can't deny his effectiveness though.

The eternal question though: If he was a better decision maker when it comes to shoot or pass, how many more goals could the team score?

Defoe could literally be PL top scorer and still a good number of fans would want him off the team or at least benched. his style of play just isn't sexy, and he is offside a lot. can't deny his effectiveness though.

Its not that his style of play isnt 'sexy'. Its that the way he plays, in particular his inability to hold the ball up and lack of involvement in open play generally, means that he's not well suited to play up top on his own. These limitations means that you get games like we've seen so far this season where we have nothing up front. Granted its been exacerbated this year b Siggy going AWOL

He is effective when its his day and his shoot on sight policy works. What happens though when its not working? And as someone said above though, you do wonder how many more the team would score if he passed the ball sometimes rather than try his 25 yarders which go in 1 time in 20 (and I'm being gneerous)

Defoe keeps scoring so AVB will not play Adebayor, in spite of Adebayor being a better all round striker.

I like that AVB believes in a system of meritocracy. Doesn't matter who you are or how much has been paid, if you deserve to start based on your last performance then you start. This is proven by his comments regarding Brad and Hugo:
"but at the moment we are paying respect to a player who is performing very well"

I admire his principles and him sticking to it, so long as he is willing to quickly adapt when it goes wrong.

It seems visible to us all that we're not the same fluent outfit that we were last season. I wonder whether it would have been much different had Luka and Rafa played yesterday in place of Sig and Dembele. Probably, but I still think QPR may have dominated if Bale and Dempsey started where they did.

It was strange that we were overrun by the trio of Park, Granero and Faulin. To be fair it's a good trio of players. But Sig clearly did not make it a 3 in midfield to compete and we lost a lot of individual battles. What did happen in the second half was that we were counter attacking them. I felt they still had general control of the game throughout. With Lennon and Bale we will always pose a threat, but we have at the moment lost our ability to control a game. Our 2 chiefs Rafa and Luka are now gone, Moutinho was a must, but we have to accept we might not be as comfortable in possession as we were last year until we get a proper playmaker in that midfield.

But surely there comes a point where you have a weaker set of players on the field, even if playing on form, than you have on the bench? Even if Defoe were to score each game, who would say that Ronaldo or Messi, given extreme examples, couldn't be on the field scoring 2 or more? There must come a point when you start playing your strongest hand or what's the point in ever upgrading? You simply work to get the best out of the players as Redknapp often did and there is no need to bring in new signings.

I do know a balance has to be struck but my point still stands.

Its a weird situation. If Defoe started the majority of the 38 games this season I have no doubt he'd score in excess of 20 goals.
But, as soon as Adebayor is fit, I want him back in the team.

I like that AVB believes in a system of meritocracy. Doesn't matter who you are or how much has been paid, if you deserve to start based on your last performance then you start. This is proven by his comments regarding Brad and Hugo:
"but at the moment we are paying respect to a player who is performing very well"

I admire his principles and him sticking to it, so long as he is willing to quickly adapt when it goes wrong.

It seems visible to us all that we're not the same fluent outfit that we were last season. I wonder whether it would have been much different had Luka and Rafa played yesterday in place of Sig and Dembele. Probably, but I still think QPR may have dominated if Bale and Dempsey started where they did.

It was strange that we were overrun by the trio of Park, Granero and Faulin. To be fair it's a good trio of players. But Sig clearly did not make it a 3 in midfield to compete and we lost a lot of individual battles. What did happen in the second half was that we were counter attacking them. I felt they still had general control of the game throughout. With Lennon and Bale we will always pose a threat, but we have at the moment lost our ability to control a game. Our 2 chiefs Rafa and Luka are now gone, Moutinho was a must, but we have to accept we might not be as comfortable in possession as we were last year until we get a proper playmaker in that midfield.

I think at the moment Dempsey, Sigg, Sandro and Dembele are all pretty loose in possession when they get pressed. Look at Lazio and the amount of time we had on the ball the players were moving well for each other, moving to space and we controlled the midfield pretty well. Take the tempo up a notch and they start to become uncomfortable (not disimilar to when teams actually press the Gooners, with their current lot of the last 5 years, they break down, even when Fabregas was with them).

The difference is, imo, the little mistakes. It's the little mistakes, the loose passing and poor choices and being slow to show in an up tempo game, that begin to wear on us and we start losing the midfield (or lose it immediately!). I hate making comparisions to Barca, but AVB is asking us to play high up the pitch, bringing the FBs up the pitch, asking the CBs to cover a greater area and asking the players to pass and move... So they're probably a good place to start for comparison. Their style of play absolutely hinges on the passing ability of their players. No loose passing and an absolute minimum of two players showing for the ball at all times. If Barca started losing the ball in the places we are and started making the silly mistakes that we are, they'd struggle just as much.

Sounds like an obvious answer, but that's because it is imo quite obvious where the problem is. Hunt in packs, turn possession over as quickly as possible, create your own time on the ball through good movement and don't allow the opposition to pressure/hurry you... Simple as that :ssg: (I've just cracked football, I think I'll go and get my badges!).

Personally, I'm not unduly concerned. Yesterday was bad tactics, we now know that Dempsey on the left is not an option, but we learnt that without losing the game, so no harm no foul. Bale has changed to the point that I don't think he is much value at LB anymore, so I wouldn't play him there either. The only thing that made Bale stand out as a FB were his deep runs but yesterday he was all over the place and kept moving into central spaces instead of looking for the overlap.

It was a good lesson for AVB yesterday, he recognised the need to move to a formation he doesn't hold much time for, he learnt a few things about a few players and we won.

Its a weird situation. If Defoe started the majority of the 38 games this season I have no doubt he'd score in excess of 20 goals.
But, as soon as Adebayor is fit, I want him back in the team.

agree, and the problem with those 20 goals would be that the team would probably score less given Defoe shoots too often

Defoe's all round game has improved this season, not only this season but in the past few. He was significant in a number of attacks versus Reading and has also been fairly consistent with providing assists in all other games, including England. Defoe is no Adebayor when it comes to getting involved with build up play (which is not to say he is terrible at it) but his strengths lie in other areas. He is very much like Falcao in a way, not in terms of quality but in style, which is why i presume AVB has started with him. He prefers forwards that are a little more direct rather than have their back towards goal.

We were not brick yesterday because of Defoe, we were brick because of the entire team's ineptitude to get the simplest thing right; pass in straight lines. Of course, it's still up for debate on whether or not Defoe has what it takes to lead us upfront this season but Defoe is not the problem at the moment. The problem is that AVB has understandably (considering all the ins and outs this summer) not yet made his mind up on his strongest 11, we lack cohesion and as a result we are failing to control games and split teams open.

Defoe's all round game has improved this season, not only this season but in the past few. He was significant in a number of attacks versus Reading and has also been fairly consistent with providing assists in all other games, including England. Defoe is no Adebayor when it comes to getting involved with build up play (which is not to say he is terrible at it) but his strengths lie in other areas. He is very much like Falcao in a way, not in terms of quality but in style, which is why i presume AVB has started with him. He prefers forwards that are a little more direct rather than have their back towards goal.

We were not brick yesterday because of Defoe, we were brick because of the entire team's ineptitude to get the simplest thing right; pass in straight lines. Of course, it's still up for debate on whether or not Defoe has what it takes to lead us upfront this season but Defoe is not the problem at the moment. The problem is that AVB has understandably (considering all the ins and outs this summer) not yet made his mind up on his strongest 11, we lack cohesion and as a result we are failing to control games and split teams open.

there's been zero evidence of that

Interestingly Robbie Keane played 303 times for Spurs scoring 122 goals & as of yest, Defoe had played 303 times scoring 122 goals! Spooky!

I can easily see him moving into 6th place on the all-time top goal scorers this season (currently Len Duquemin on 134).

Another stat for the haters, another 2 goals in Europe would put Defoe out on his own (with 14) in second place behind the mighty Chiv & a goal ahead of Gilzean & Peters.

Back