• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

So maybe Ade will have to earn his starts in the league under AVB, methinks that is a good thing. It will help keep both strikers on their toes, Defoe will work hard to keep his place and Ade will work hard when he gets his chance. This is better than a situation whereby Defoe knows however well he does once Ade is available he will lose his place.

Of course there is an alternative of playing

Ade Defoe

Bale Dembele Sandro Lennon

Would like to see Ade and Defoe up front at home, with Lennon and Bale creating havoc and chances for them both. Life at the Lane could be Saweeeeet. Esp. now with two enforcers with force, that can allow the four front men to go and tear aways teams.

Away, this will need a re-think... and think the approach AVB has taken is a good way to develop. Less open.

Amazing stat that. Who has been our most prolific striker ? Goals per min , game ?

Here is every Spurs player who has scored 5 or more Premier League goals arranged by their strike rates (games played per goal)...

P0045.png

@THFC6061

Interesting reading that. I wonder how Defoe's stats alter if we compare to the games he actually started. The players above him in that chart were guaranteed starters, less Keane and to a lesser extent VDV

Thanks for that table, interesting stuff.

@THFC6061

Interesting reading that. I wonder how Defoe's stats alter if we compare to the games he actually started. The players above him in that chart were guaranteed starters, less Keane and to a lesser extent VDV

76 of Defoe's 232 Premier League appearances for Spurs have been as a used substitute.

By contrast, 49 of Robbie Keane's 238 Premier League appearances for Spurs were as a used substitute, 7 of Dimitar Berbatov's 70 appearances were as a sub.

And just 6 of Rafael van der Vaart's 63 appearances were as a used sub.

If Defoe stays with us for another two seasons, it's likely he can reach 100 PL goals for us, as the first ever player.

If he scores another four PL goals, he'll be the 14th top scorer in PL history. That's more than the likes of Drogba, Van Persie and Ian Wright.

Despite his obvious limitations, I'd say Defoe has done very well for a striker whos primary skill is scoring goals. Yes, he scores most goals against poorer opposition, but I'd say winning against the lower ranked teams is as important - if not more important - than beating the top four. In that regard, Defoe has contributed greatly.

I'm delighted to see that he has had a good start to the season. Hopefully he can keep it up, in which case he'll be vital for us this season.

Here is every Spurs player who has scored 5 or more Premier League goals arranged by their strike rates (games played per goal)...

P0045.png

Thanks for that, but as its only for Prem goals it does not include players like Greaves ( best ever), Gilly, Allen, Chivers etc.

@THFC6061

wonderful stuff you have there. thanks very much, sir!
the stats confirms who i think the best strikers are for us and mostly in that that order.

klinsman it was a treat watching him as a boy. but it is a surprise to see ade having a better strike rate than sherhingham, berbs and keane.

and les ferdinand only as good as mido and pav? the mind does play tricks.

Last edited:

There's no doubting that Defoe was excellent against Reading, but to take one performance against a newly promoted club and decide that Defoe is suddenly a whole new striker is bizarre.

The teams he has scored against in the Prem. and the number of goals.

Against Team Goals
Wigan Athletic 10
Blackburn Rovers 7
Charlton Athletic 7
Emirates Marketing Project 6
Portsmouth 6
Aston Villa 5
Birmingham City 5
Manchester United 5
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5
Chelsea 4
Everton 4
Fulham 4
Middlesbrough 4
Southampton 4
Sunderland 4
West Ham United 4
Wolverhampton W 4
Bolton Wanderers 3
Hull City 3
West Bromwich Albion 3
Arsenal 2
Ipswich Town 2
Leicester City 2
Liverpool 2
Stoke City 2
Blackpool 1
Crystal Palace 1
Derby County 1
Norwich City 1
Reading 1
Tottenham Hotspur 1
to 13th May 2012

wonderful stuff you have there. thanks very much, sir!
the stats confirms who i think the best strikers are for us and mostly in that that order.

klinsman it was a treat watching him as a boy. but it is a surprise to see ade having a better strike rate than sherhingham, berbs and keane.

and les ferdinand only as good as mido and pav? the mind does play tricks.

think of the brick ferdinand played with though, ginola aside, they were dark dark days

Its funny because everyone focuses on how Defoe is brick against the big teams but have you considered that maybe just maybe he just doesnt get the service against the big teams i.e. we perform at a lower level AS A TEAM?

Its very easy to say oh X played poorly or X didnt score goals but if he doesnt get the chances then how does he score unless he takes pot shots and 20 yrd hammers (which is what he does I guess because he gets frustrated at not getting chances on occassions)

Ultimately stats really do not tell the whole story as to why Defoe doesnt 'perform' as well as he does against the lesser teams.

Its funny because everyone focuses on how Defoe is brick against the big teams but have you considered that maybe just maybe he just doesnt get the service against the big teams i.e. we perform at a lower level AS A TEAM?

Its very easy to say oh X played poorly or X didnt score goals but if he doesnt get the chances then how does he score unless he takes pot shots and 20 yrd hammers (which is what he does I guess because he gets frustrated at not getting chances on occassions)

Ultimately stats really do not tell the whole story as to why Defoe doesnt 'perform' as well as he does against the lesser teams.

Astute observations

P0045.png

Shame we haven't got the stats for Lineker, he can't have missed the Premiership by much either. Shame that a generation (or two) probably knows him better for advertising Walker's crisps than being one of the country's greatest strikers.

Jermain Defoe makes Garth Crooks' Team of the Week...

Tottenham's only cutting edge against a Reading side that looked out of their depth. It will be interesting to see, when Spurs play far more testing opposition, particularly at home, whether manager Andre Villas-Boas will continue to play with only Defoe up front or try to adapt his formation to accommodate proven goalscorers like Emmanuel Adebayor and Clint Dempsey.

Defoe's two goals were as easy as picking cherries and he should have crowned this display with a hat-trick.

Did you know?

Defoe has scored eight goals in the last nine Premier League games in which he has played the entire 90 minutes.

It used to be said he was a homer, but in the last couple of seasons he has done just as well away, he has also scored plenty against the top 4 as the chart shows.

He has just never really had a full chance - in AVB he seems at last top have a manager who really does believe in him. Harry would have dropped him and put Ade in against Reading.

I have always felt he has massive potential, but he has never realized it.

Technically he is a very good player, especially for an Englishman. His passing is often under rated. He is rarely sloppy, because he is two footed, he can put in an unpredictable one. He often plays a cute well timed pass.

As a first choice striker, who starts and finishes most games, he is nailed on for 20 goals a season.

Back