• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Going by previous performances over the seasons, and generalising:

Good Defoe: Quick, knows where the goal is, powerful shot, able to create space and shoot with very little backlift, good at running at defenders.

Bad Defoe: Shoots when there are better options, easily knocked off the ball, sometimes lacks composure in front of goal, gets offside too often, not great in the air.

Average Defoe: Link up play, positioning, dribbling.

Undeniably Defoe had a very good game against Reading. But it was Reading, and he does have a bit of a reputation as a flat track bully. Can he transform into a lone striker. Personally, I don't think he will be effective in that role against the best teams. Partly because of his lack of physical presence -which is not his fault -and partly because if he is not physically intimidating, he needs to have a very good footballing brain, and I'm not sure he has. I think he can adapt his game to an extent, and will score goals. But I don't think he is ideal in that position. But then neither is Ade. So we have limited options.

We're really overreacting to his performance yesterday people. He was great yesterday but his performances against brick opposition has never been in question. As a lone striker he's simply not going to perform consistently imo and he hasn't got the all around attributes to play that role. have you forgotten his shower of brick performances vs WBA and norwich?

One other thing i've noticed though is AVBs formation looks like it will work better away from home than at the lane. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and reading we had no problems creating chances and that has a lot to do with our movement and our somewhat rigid formation. Defoe will probably get a lot of away goals this season.

I think you've isolated the situation above. Away from home we are going to be very, very tough to beat. At home it will be trickier. The two biggest things I saw yesterday were

1) off the ball running aplenty from Bale (my mate thought he looked disinterested, I disgree)
2) ball to feet as a consequence of movement around Defoe from the midfielders

I agree, when it comes to the likes of Vidic and Kompany, Defoe will have less time, but so long as the ball goes to feet and we continue to play this way, I still believe he will get chances, and IF he puts away two of every 5 he gets, I'll settle for that gladly! He did several things yesterday which were phenomenal, not the least of which his set-up for Sig, and the touch to bring that long ball down plus the SECOND touch were outrageous! That he tried to curl it with the outside of the boot was the only mistake, but in fairness, it was a chance made from absolutely nothing, and for me, showed his confidence is high as Jermaine of last season wouldn't even have got there. I should say I have always remained a believer, so I'm sure there's a bit of prejudice involved in my opinion.

Going by previous performances over the seasons, and generalising:

Good Defoe: Quick, knows where the goal is, powerful shot, able to create space and shoot with very little backlift, good at running at defenders.

Bad Defoe: Shoots when there are better options, easily knocked off the ball, sometimes lacks composure in front of goal, gets offside too often, not great in the air.

Average Defoe: Link up play, positioning, dribbling.

Undeniably Defoe had a very good game against Reading. But it was Reading, and he does have a bit of a reputation as a flat track bully. Can he transform into a lone striker. Personally, I don't think he will be effective in that role against the best teams. Partly because of his lack of physical presence -which is not his fault -and partly because if he is not physically intimidating, he needs to have a very good footballing brain, and I'm not sure he has. I think he can adapt his game to an extent, and will score goals. But I don't think he is ideal in that position. But then neither is Ade. So we have limited options.

I'd put link up play, positioning in the bad column; and also question his pace (he has decent acceleration but is not that quick after the first 5-10 yards), but otherwise say that's a fair assessment.

Ok, and maybe 'always' lacks composure in front of goal - he's the last player I'd back in a 1-on-1 and he has a penalty record a centre back would be embarrased by (missed 8 out of his last 13 I think the stat is)

I'd put link up play, positioning in the bad column; and also question his pace (he has decent acceleration but is not that quick after the first 5-10 yards), but otherwise say that's a fair assessment.

Ok, and maybe 'always' lacks composure in front of goal - he's the last player I'd back in a 1-on-1 and he has a penalty record a centre back would be embarrased by (missed 8 out of his last 13 I think the stat is)

What is frustrating about the link up play, positioning and composure aspects, is that I think these are things that can be worked on in training with the right coaching. But maybe he doesn't recognise them as weaknesses, or hasn't had the right coaching (are our striking coaches any good? -I'd have liked to have seen Sheringham and Ginola involved), or just doesn't have the footballing brain to make it part of his game.

His dribbling is pretty good.

i'm not so sure about that. He goes across the back four quite a lot, and can make space for a shot. And he can get past players when he is running at them with plenty of space. But I wouldn't say he is a classic dribbler in tight spaces kind of player, that gets through the defence. But then I suppose not that many lone strikers are -it's often the withdrawn striker, or wingers that do the mazy dribbling.

You're not getting it and probably won't but i'll try one last time.

I am discussing his all around game when playing as the lone striker. You might simply look at his goalscoring stats of 3 goals in 4 games and point to that as evidence as his being able to play that role but others tend to investigate further. For 2 of those 4 games he was anonymous. Forget the fact that he didn't score which isn't that big of a deal to me, he actually offered nothing to our general play. He did nothing at all and the Norwich and wba cb's had a very easy afternoon. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine he was decent though and looked dangerous at times.

My point is some people are going overboard with the praise. He played well yesterday but to say he's done this and done that since AVB has taken over is pushing it. If he had 3 good games and one decent one i could understand that comment but 2 poor games, 1 decent/pretty good and 1 very good game out of 4 doesn't mean he's suddenly transformed into a new super striker since avb has taken over.

This is not an easy time to be the appointed lone striker at Spurs. New system, new midfield, new patterns and styles of play. Sigurdsson is not Rafa. Bale and Lennon with adjusted roles. I think amidst all that PLUS the shadow of past managers, who all pay Defoe lip-service but have invariably dropped him after games in which he's scored/as soon as 'the big man' is fit, I think he has had an excellent start to the season. If the accuracy of others had been greater he'd have had another 2-3 assists right now. Norwich is an unfair match to judge him on, no-one played well that day bar Dembele and Vertonghen IMO. Against West Brom, I thought he was excelent first half save missing a couple of chances, which others did too...

We shall see.

Great start to the season Defoe ! Keep banging them in boy.

I'd much rather have a striker who gets in a position to score. He may miss some, but don't they all?

I am delighted he stayed ! One of my current fave players :p

Great start to the season Defoe ! Keep banging them in boy.

I'd much rather have a striker who gets in a position to score. He may miss some, but don't they all?

I am delighted he stayed ! One of my current fave players :p

That user name is brilliant mate. Reggie Mentalist! Superb.

He was my MOM yesterday, i have always rated Defoe and ( imo) is one of the best strikers in the Prem.

He now has 121 goals for Spurs and is only 4 short of overtaking Teddy and becoming our 8th top scorer of all time.

He was my MOM yesterday, i have always rated Defoe and ( imo) is one of the best strikers in the Prem.

He now has 121 goals for Spurs and is only 4 short of overtaking Teddy and becoming our 8th top scorer of all time.

I was meaning to check where he stands. At 8th there are not too many shabby strikers ahead of him.

What is frustrating about the link up play, positioning and composure aspects, is that I think these are things that can be worked on in training with the right coaching. But maybe he doesn't recognise them as weaknesses, or hasn't had the right coaching (are our striking coaches any good? -I'd have liked to have seen Sheringham and Ginola involved), or just doesn't have the footballing brain to make it part of his game.

It's all a bit late now as well. You can't really coach someone in their 30s what they should have learnt as a teenager.

What is remarkable about that is that he's done it yet never really established himself as first choice in all his decade here.

I suppose it's a bit like he has 50 England caps but has never completed a match.

What is remarkable about that is that he's done it yet never really established himself as first choice in all his decade here.

I suppose it's a bit like he has 50 England caps but has never completed a match.

Apart from the last England game against Ukraine, when Defoe played the entire 90 minutes.

I have always thought he is underrated - he may now have a manager who genuinely believes in him and who knows how to get the best out of him.

I am nearly always more confident we are going to score when he is on the pitch, I nearly always lose confidence when he is subbed.

When you speak to opposing fans , they always say , they are scared when he has the ball.

Back