• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Defoe's game is all about scoring goals. That's what he does, and he has done it well, there's no denying that.

The problem for Defoe is when he doesn't score; then he appears to be a passenger in the team, not contributing much. Take Lennon, for instance. Even if he has a brick game, where his crosses go astray and he can't beat his man, he can still do a good defensive job for us. If Defoe doesn't score, people get frustrated because scoring is basically what he does.

But as long as he keeps scoring goals and we keep winning, there's no need to swap him for Ade or anyone else.

Defoe's game is all about scoring goals. That's what he does, and he has done it well, there's no denying that.

The problem for Defoe is when he doesn't score; then he appears to be a passenger in the team, not contributing much. Take Lennon, for instance. Even if he has a brick game, where his crosses go astray and he can't beat his man, he can still do a good defensive job for us. If Defoe doesn't score, people get frustrated because scoring is basically what he does.

But as long as he keeps scoring goals and we keep winning, there's no need to swap him for Ade or anyone else.

Given a clean slate to the season I'd want us to start with Ade, but that wasn't possible due to injury. Now that Defoe's playing, he's scoring regularly and looking dangerous - there's no way a manager can drop a striker playing like that. Not only would it ruin Defoe's morele, but probably that of others in the team too. Much like Friedel, the manager just has to wait until he has a poor game to replace him.

As for not offering much defensively, Defoe does a lot more closing down of the defenders and keeper than Ade does. If you catch Ade in the right mood he might chase like that for 45 mins or so, but I don't recall seeing him do that for 90 mins.

Interestingly Robbie Keane played 303 times for Spurs scoring 122 goals & as of yest, Defoe had played 303 times scoring 122 goals! Spooky!

I can easily see him moving into 6th place on the all-time top goal scorers this season (currently Len Duquemin on 134).

Another stat for the haters, another 2 goals in Europe would put Defoe out on his own (with 14) in second place behind the mighty Chiv & a goal ahead of Gilzean & Peters.

Wonder how many of those games he was a sub and came on and scored? When we were flying with Berbatov and Keane a few seasons back and then last season with Ade and Rafa he was just an impact sub.

I think with AVB and Hodgson for England giving him the loan striker role he has improved from a few years ago and i think the service from midfield has been terrible so it's hard to knock him but i still think he can work harder at his game to be a more complete striker..

1) He gets caught offside too many times, must have counted 4 times yesterday
2) He still doesnt make enough intelligent runs
3) When he's got his back to goal he rarely wins it and distributes it back or to the wing

I thought he looked much more dangerous when we switched to 4-4-2 at half time.

I still think Ade should be straight in when he's fit or at home i'd play Defoe and Ade upfront as it suits us better.

You can have Ade up top but he still won't be able to hold up aimless long punts.

Defoe is doin the job and he has shown he gets a chance he scores. 4 in 5 games is excellent and I want him to play. There is a case to play him and Ade together especially at home games and I'd be ecstatic with that.

All this holding the ball up malarky as far as I'm concerned is not an issue when the ball is punted like a rugby kick upfield.

You can have Ade up top but he still won't be able to hold up aimless long punts.

Defoe is doin the job and he has shown he gets a chance he scores. 4 in 5 games is excellent and I want him to play. There is a case to play him and Ade together especially at home games and I'd be ecstatic with that.

All this holding the ball up malarky as far as I'm concerned is not an issue when the ball is punted like a rugby kick upfield.

At home I would like to see Ade and Defoe up top against most sides asides from United, Arsenal, City, Cheslea

At home I would like to see Ade and Defoe up top against most sides asides from United, Arsenal, City, Cheslea

in some ways this is a typical start to the season for defoe. normally starts quite well and then fades away. we have a lot of games this season and are going to need defoe and adebayor in equal measures. still think we need another striker in january as cant see dempsey scoring too many

I thought it was a good sign when AVB changed it at half time yesterday, he wasnt stubborn as it completely changed the game. Will he play 4-4-2 again though in the next home game, i doubt it? I find when teams like QPR come and have a go 4-4-2 works a treat as we can counter them with our pace so i think he needs to consider it sometimes particularly as we have Bale and Lennon on the flanks. From what ive seen with 4-4-3 the game becomes to tight in the middle and doesnt play to our strengths imo. You need to have very quick intelligent passers of the ball like Spain or Barca to make it work so does he keep with this system and hope all the players get up to speed?

From the games ive seen so far this season the players dont seem comfortable playing 4-3-3 so for the time being at home i think he should stick to 4-4-2. We only looked comfortable in 4-3-3 against a poor Reading side that gave us way too much space.

We've struggled at home against QPR, WBrom and Norwich so it's only gonna get harder.

Only to those who don't wish to notice it or revert back to the easiest excuse to explain bad performances.

There's an arguement to say that he has already made the changes to his game in the previous season or so regards to body strength etc. But to flat out deny it is poor. Still, he has been suspect to a few poor decisions so far this season. In fact, it seems to be that if players could decide when to shoot (Lennon) and when to pass (Bale, Defoe) we could have a good few more goals so far!

in some ways this is a typical start to the season for defoe. normally starts quite well and then fades away. we have a lot of games this season and are going to need defoe and adebayor in equal measures. still think we need another striker in january as cant see dempsey scoring too many

In fairness to Defoe he normally fades as his starting appearances become more erratic and he comes on from the bench more often.

Think Defoe has been great this year. He has improved his all round game for sure, he was brilliant against Reading, held the ball up, brought others into play. The only negative I have of Defoe is how greedy he is. Sometimes he could quite easily pass for a better chance instead of just going for goal himself, but I suppose he just loves goals.

Think Defoe has been great this year. He has improved his all round game for sure, he was brilliant against Reading, held the ball up, brought others into play. The only negative I have of Defoe is how greedy he is. Sometimes he could quite easily pass for a better chance instead of just going for goal himself, but I suppose he just loves goals.

More Defoe talk in the Standard tonight.. Rather than comment about the match the journo just talks about Defoe and formations. I think the journo's right when he said JD is best used in a 2 as we saw yesterday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-deadly-defoe-is-too-hot-to-drop-8167100.html

Defoe is doin the job and he has shown he gets a chance he scores. 4 in 5 games is excellent and I want him to play.
There is a case to play him and Ade together especially at home games and I'd be ecstatic with that.

This

Given a clean slate to the season I'd want us to start with Ade, but that wasn't possible due to injury. Now that Defoe's playing, he's scoring regularly and looking dangerous - there's no way a manager can drop a striker playing like that. Not only would it ruin Defoe's morele, but probably that of others in the team too. Much like Friedel, the manager just has to wait until he has a poor game to replace him.

Not sure I agree with this (and not specific to JD). If we got Falcao or Tevez tomorrow, would you wait to drop JD?

Not sure what we are waiting on with Friedel to be honest, he is highly unlikely to have a "brick game" but the reality is most people (and the club based on what we paid) believe Lloris is a better keeper.

Beyond ensuring the new player is fit and has familiarity with his teammates and team's organization, why wait?

Back