• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

Where does Bentaleb's growing reputation leave Tom Carroll when he returns?

He was seen as the youth player most likely to make the transition to first team. As much as I'd like to see a midfield consisting of players we have produced through the academy, it is highly unlikely to have both ahead of Dembele and Paulinho

I think Carroll's future hinges on who is our manager. At this moment in time I think Sherwood would either give him an PL loan or sell him. If however we get a manager in who wants many small technical players then I can see Carroll playing a part, but this would be at the expense of someone like Dembele.

I like Bentaleb alot, today he looked like a young Javi Martinez

but, 2 key reasons why I wouldnt start him

1) if we are to say our 442 makes us weak then we have to say that Saudi Sportswashing Machine were always up against it against our 3 and Bentaleb as the spare man was made to look good (maybe thats a bit harsh I dont know)

2) I believe a 3 man midfield should consist of a ball winner, a box to box and a playmaker with ingenuity.

Sandro is the enforcer without fail.
Most who want Bentaleb feel that way because he plays more incisive than say Dembele but we have Eriksen who can pick up the ball from anywhere and make thos passes. At some point in games Eriksen will pick the ball up deep in turn Bentaleb will replace him higher up the pitch which by default loses an attacking option as Bentaleb doesnt seem to be the type to score many goals. This is why we have to have Paulinho in the side so when Eriksen plays a forward pass every teammate in front of him is a player who can do damage. All good teams have players rotating at some points in the game so players need more than just one speciality so I'm afraid Bentaleb just misses out if we are to be an overall more dangerous/versataile team.

for me it has to be
---------sandro
---paulinho eriksen
lamela ade townsend

sandro and bentaleb isnt threatening enough - Paulinho can score but also gives us defensive cover with his engine.

I kind of agree with a lot of this, but for me, it's not a slight on Bentaleb. I think that he has worked himself into first-team consideration every week, and in the modern game, that's all a footballer can really be asked to do, especially at only 19 years of age.

I think he should be playing with a holder behind him in most matches, as many have been clamoring for. To me, our midfield consists of six core players, all very capable of doing a great job who will be chosen based on form, fitness, injury, and fatigue.

Sandro, Capoue, Dembele, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Eriksen

The thing I love most about these six players is their versatility. Besides possibly Sandro, they can all play multiple positions (some may disagree on Capoue's ability to play CB, but I think he can) and are versatile players. You can play Eriksen at the #10, out wide, or even in the deep-lying sort of #8. There are goals in that midfield with Eriksen and Paulinho, and both Dembele and Bentaleb are more than capable of creating chances.

To me, our best midfield consists of Sandro, Paulinho, and Eriksen, but that is obviously up for massive debate. Bentaleb has been brilliant so far this season, and I love to watch the kid play.

Simply put, I think this is the best our midfield has been since I've been following the team (I'm in my 20's), in that we have good depth and some very, very good players who will only get better.

My bigger worry is our front three. I think we need another goal-getter up there, and I worry that Townsend and Lennon don't score or create enough (possibly, harsh on Townsend) to play there. I think ideally Lamela becomes our dangerous wide forward to go w/ Ade and Soldado.

Think that team could be fantastic next season.

---------------Lloris-----------
Walker--Kaboul---Jan----Rose
-------Sandro----Paulinho--------
-------------Eriksen----------------
Lamela---Soldado---Adebayor (obviously drifting in)

I love Bentaleb. He looks class and makes it look so easy. He clearly has a talent, and I think he could be our little gem.

I think he will thrive on playing against the big teams so I would stick with him.

I kind of agree with a lot of this, but for me, it's not a slight on Bentaleb. I think that he has worked himself into first-team consideration every week, and in the modern game, that's all a footballer can really be asked to do, especially at only 19 years of age.

I think he should be playing with a holder behind him in most matches, as many have been clamoring for. To me, our midfield consists of six core players, all very capable of doing a great job who will be chosen based on form, fitness, injury, and fatigue.

Sandro, Capoue, Dembele, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Eriksen

The thing I love most about these six players is their versatility. Besides possibly Sandro, they can all play multiple positions (some may disagree on Capoue's ability to play CB, but I think he can) and are versatile players. You can play Eriksen at the #10, out wide, or even in the deep-lying sort of #8. There are goals in that midfield with Eriksen and Paulinho, and both Dembele and Bentaleb are more than capable of creating chances.

To me, our best midfield consists of Sandro, Paulinho, and Eriksen, but that is obviously up for massive debate. Bentaleb has been brilliant so far this season, and I love to watch the kid play.

Simply put, I think this is the best our midfield has been since I've been following the team (I'm in my 20's), in that we have good depth and some very, very good players who will only get better.

My bigger worry is our front three. I think we need another goal-getter up there, and I worry that Townsend and Lennon don't score or create enough (possibly, harsh on Townsend) to play there. I think ideally Lamela becomes our dangerous wide forward to go w/ Ade and Soldado.

Think that team could be fantastic next season.

---------------Lloris-----------
Walker--Kaboul---Jan----Rose
-------Sandro----Paulinho--------
-------------Eriksen----------------
Lamela---Soldado---Adebayor (obviously drifting in)

Definately. Bentaleb is great but Eriksen can do that job and more so it doesnt make sense to drop him or drop Paulinho for him - Paulinho offers us goals and also defensive cover (Paulinho has no problem gettin stuck in even tho he has shown some laziness at times but thats the managers job to ensure he doesnt go missing in games) and then you have Sandro who is a must so thats the 3 in midfield.

We have the same 11 although id never consider Adebayor wide. A perfect front 3 consists of a Target man, and inside forward and a natural wide man. 2 wide men or 2 inside forwards gives us less options and makes us more predictable. Having one of each is the best of both worlds. when we need to keep it simple Townsends pace on the outside will cause problems and when its a tight game Lamela as the second striker for a bit of individual magic. we become way more dangerous when we have one of each.

Lamela - Adebayor - Townsend ticks all the boxes

Last edited:

Spurs teenager Bentaleb to represent Algeria at World Cup

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:43pm GMT

(Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Nabil Bentaleb has agreed to play for Algeria at the World Cup in Brazil in June and is in the squad for next month's warm-up fixture against Slovenia.

The 19-year-old is a French junior international but because he holds dual nationality can change his allegiance in accordance with the rules of world soccer's governing body FIFA.

Bentaleb has played once for France's under-19s in a friendly which means he will not have to go through the official process of changing footballing nationality.

"He has agreed to play for the country of his parents after meeting Algerian Football Federation president Mohamed Raouaraoua," the federation said in a statement.

"He will be called up for the game on March 5 against Slovenia in Blida."

Bentaleb's situation had been the cause of much speculation in the Algerian media in recent weeks.

The teenager broke into the first team at Tottenham just before Christmas after Tim Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas as manager.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/...=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401

He looks really comfortable in advanced positions. Couple that with Sherwood moving Dembele into the front 3, it makes me think that Bentaleb might end up with game time on the left side of a front 3.

(Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Nabil Bentaleb has agreed to play for Algeria at the World Cup in Brazil in June and is in the squad for next month's warm-up fixture against Slovenia.

The 19-year-old is a French junior international but because he holds dual nationality can change his allegiance in accordance with the rules of world soccer's governing body FIFA.

Bentaleb has played once for France's under-19s in a friendly which means he will not have to go through the official process of changing footballing nationality.

"He has agreed to play for the country of his parents after meeting Algerian Football Federation president Mohamed Raouaraoua," the federation said in a statement.

Bentaleb's situation had been the cause of much speculation in the Algerian media in recent weeks.

The teenager broke into the first team at Tottenham just before Christmas after Tim Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas as manager.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/...=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401

strange one - is the French team that bad these days?

No, but there are a lot of youngsters who grow up in France, train within the French youth system and then go on to play for their parent's countries. I believe a couple of years ago there was a big thing going on over there where the French FA or people within it were talking up the idea of not allowing youngsters into the academies who had parents from Africa etc because so many were not playing for France.

http://world.time.com/2011/05/04/french-national-soccer-rocked-by-accusations-of-racist-quotas/

Above is a link to a story about the planned FFF quotas. I have no idea if it ever got passed (I highly doubt it) but I think it does go to show some of the tensions in France.

IIRC earlier this month Bentaleb's parents were both quoted as saying how they wanted him to play for Algeria although respected his right to choose. The mentionned how he was brought up in an Algerian neighbourhood and an Algerian house, so I think it only natural that he would opt for the country/people he felt closer to.

Personally I think this highlights what we here in Britain will likely see in the next 5-20 years as we see young boys trained up by the academies who in turn go on to play for their parent's country. A lot will come down to the attitudes of these childrens parents and whether or not they choose to integrate into British society.

Surprising he doesn't wait for the chance to play for France, although I understand that the lure of playing in a World Cup in Brazil must be strong.

Or perhaps he just feels more Algerian than French.

No, but there are a lot of youngsters who grow up in France, train within the French youth system and then go on to play for their parent's countries. I believe a couple of years ago there was a big thing going on over there where the French FA or people within it were talking up the idea of not allowing youngsters into the academies who had parents from Africa etc because so many were not playing for France.

http://world.time.com/2011/05/04/french-national-soccer-rocked-by-accusations-of-racist-quotas/

Above is a link to a story about the planned FFF quotas. I have no idea if it ever got passed (I highly doubt it) but I think it does go to show some of the tensions in France.

IIRC earlier this month Bentaleb's parents were both quoted as saying how they wanted him to play for Algeria although respected his right to choose. The mentionned how he was brought up in an Algerian neighbourhood and an Algerian house, so I think it only natural that he would opt for the country/people he felt closer to.

Personally I think this highlights what we here in Britain will likely see in the next 5-20 years as we see young boys trained up by the academies who in turn go on to play for their parent's country. A lot will come down to the attitudes of these childrens parents and whether or not they choose to integrate into British society.

You think playing the two are mutually exclusive?

Playing the two?

Sorry, started writing one sentence and then finished it off with another.

I mean do you think integrating into your new country and still wanting to play for your country of origin/ parents' origin, especially if you grew up in an area which is heavily populated by people of that country are two mutually exclusive things?

I find it difficult to find the right way to say it. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, simply put the guy should play for whatever nationality he regards himself as. In this case he has been brought up in an Algerian community within France so he feels he is Algerian. It's something I personally find it difficult to relate to as I am English, my parents are English as are theirs so I have never had to question my nationality. I would guess that if a person were treated differently because of their name/parents lineage they would invariably question their nationality regardless of place of birth.

This is likely a topic that could spiral further so to cut it short (as this is a football thread) I'll say that integration and acceptance are the key things here. If the family refuse to try to integrate then their children will always feel different. The same can be said about the community that the family move into. If they do not try to welcome and accept that family then that family will again still feel as if they are not part of that country.

I find it difficult to find the right way to say it. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, simply put the guy should play for whatever nationality he regards himself as. In this case he has been brought up in an Algerian community within France so he feels he is Algerian. It's something I personally find it difficult to relate to as I am English, my parents are English as are theirs so I have never had to question my nationality. I would guess that if a person were treated differently because of their name/parents lineage they would invariably question their nationality regardless of place of birth.

This is likely a topic that could spiral further so to cut it short (as this is a football thread) I'll say that integration and acceptance are the key things here. If the family refuse to try to integrate then their children will always feel different. The same can be said about the community that the family move into. If they do not try to welcome and accept that family then that family will again still feel as if they are not part of that country.

I'm not sure that it's so different from an Englishman with a Welsh father deciding they want to represent Wales at rugby...

As I said, I have no first hand experience here. I doubt I can comment much more without giving offence to someone but with regards to the four nationalities within the British Isles, I don't think we care as much because in some regards we are all united under one flag, we share nationalities in some sports as well as the armed forces etc.

I posted this on 6th February.

Nice to know that Reuters is only 9 days late with the story.

Shame for us (potential future cup of nation issues), but good for him. I'm guessing he didn't chose Algeria for sporting reasons at this stage of his career.

Excellent again against Saudi Sportswashing Machine by the way... I was thinking that a drop in form was likely any week now, but he keeps putting in very good performances and now he's getting assists too. Should be nailed on for a starting spot in the league for now at least.

I like Bentaleb.

We filtch their players, then they filtch them back. Who are we to be annoyed/aggrieved?. I well remember Tony Galvin being advised to opt for RoI (FAI) as even Glenn Hoddle wasn't being selected for England. Regardless, all of this is really for another thread.

I really like Bentaleb. If he'd been playing for some Scandinavian side and had a couple of U21 caps there would have been many more Onanists/Masturbarians on here claiming he was a steal at 10 million.

Back