• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

One of the classiest players in a Spurs shirt imo; I remember his cut chip that led to our equaliser against Everton in April 1998 in a relegation 6 pointer.
That game was ironically as important as the Everton game this weekend (perhaps more so)

I remember him being outstanding against Wimbledon when we played them at their place and he set up Klinsmann when he went goal scoring crazy. Must be getting old cos i do not remember the season.

A few key differences for me.

1. It was often Townsend playing on the right with him having a tendancy to cut inside which left us very narrow.

2. Rose was out injured so we didn't have a proper attacking left back to get on the overlap.

3. Adebayor was banished to train with the kids - so we didn't have a centre forward playing who was capable of playing up top on his own. Additionally with Soldado in there instead, who tended to stay very central the oppositions centre halves were able to remain central and therefore space wasn't created for Paulinho to get into.

4. The general slow build up play we employed under AVB with us refusing to commit men forward quickly allowed the opposition to get back and defend in numbers, it is then very difficult to create chances due due to the number of opposition players back and the lack of space to operate in.

My thoughts were that our problems creating chances under AVB related more to his tactics than the three central midfielders.

Slow passing and too many touches was apparently the main complaint Fulham had about Dembele too.

I've only seen Paulinho for Brazil before he signed for us, didn't strike me as a particularly quick and effective passer in that Brazil team either. I see no great reason to think he is, but I could obviously be wrong.

Sandro is Sandro, quick effective attacking passing hasn't been one if his strengths under AVB or Redknapp and I don't think it will be now either.

I struggle to think of teams we wish to compare ourselves to that have all their regular starting central midfielders with such deficiencies in terms of passing. Can you think of any?

By far his best game for us. Being allowed to express himself with 2 other guys next to him

MOTM performance for me tonight, without the defensive shackles he controlled the flow in the midfield.

Really really great performance tonight despite Saudi Sportswashing Machine never try to press us like the Toffees.
I say stick him to the position he played tonight rather than play him just in front of the back four and you will see more from him. Capoue would be benefited from that too.

Against City, you could see he struggled, today he was fanstastic. Its important to realise he is a youngster learning his game but his potential if he "beefs" up is great. He certainly has a great understanding of the game, physically he needs to get stronger and who knows how far he can go. Credit to Tim for giving him this chance and sticking with him.

He was good. Does he get two assists for Ade's first and Chadli's goal?

Some of his short passing shows how quick his mind is. He was hitting first time passes around their team before they even had a chance to stand him up and it really helped.

When a player does the right thing... a simple first time ball... an unselfish run... a clever skill... when he makes space for himself... when his first touch takes it precisely into the right position for his next move whilst taking the opposition player out of the game... you know the commentator will say "Bentaleb" even though you are watching on a thread like an oil painting being painted in the shower whilst a hairy man spits lager in your eyes.

When a player does the right thing... a simple first time ball... an unselfish run... a clever skill... when he makes space for himself... when his first touch takes it precisely into the right position for his next move whilst taking the opposition player out of the game... you know the commentator will say "Bentaleb" even though you are watching on a thread like an oil painting being painted in the shower whilst a hairy man spits lager in your eyes.

I agree totally....I think :-k

his potential if he "beefs" up is great. physically he needs to get stronger.

Looks almost big enough to me, not a shrimp like Modric or Nasri. He's over 6ft tall so perhaps that makes you think he is thin and weak? Or maybe because Chadli Capoue Dembele are all so big?

I'd say he is similar weight to Paulinho and Soldado which is not small.

Looks almost big enough to me, not a shrimp like Modric or Nasri. He's over 6ft tall so perhaps that makes you think he is thin and weak? Or maybe because Chadli Capoue Dembele are all so big?

I'd say he is similar weight to Paulinho and Soldado which is not small.

I wouldnt say he is weak, in many ways he is deceptively strong. But imo to take the next step, if he could add some bulk he could really impose himself and dominate the midfield. He has been fanstastic overall so far and I dont want to be negative about a player who has really excelled and I rate highly, just making a point about his next progression.

potential to be the new Zidane.

watch Madrid sign him in 2-3 years time

For me I think he needs to work on his defensive reading and that's it. At 19 he will inevitably put on some muscle in the next couple of years. All this will come in time

For me I think he needs to work on his defensive reading and that's it. At 19 he will inevitably put on some muscle in the next couple of years. All this will come in time

I think he reads the game qutie well actually. He intercepts quite a lot of passes. He is not great one against one defenisvely though. That is something for him to work on.

I thought he was our best player tonight. Very calm on the ball, good touch, knows where his team mates are before receiving the ball, quick feet and changes of direction. And two assists and heavily involved in another goal as well. His best performance for us so far.

With all the talk about how we wasted the "Bale" Money, how much would you value Bentaleb at this time? PS I am not Levy

Last edited:
Back