• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

To be fair to
He has gone backward in the last twelve month to sure. He will gain so much from being coached by Pochettino's team it will be invaluable to many of the fringe players.

If he moves on it won't because we did not try to bring the lad on.

To be fair to the lad he has been out injured and the team is a better unit now than when he was originally in it, but I'm sure he's been made aware that he must be more careful with his passing near our goal, I'm all for inventiveness around the opponents area but there are places where you have to play safe. I certainly do not want to see him leave as I see him as a possible captain.

It was a poor display all over the pitch, only player get more than a 6 was trippier (what happened to match rating threads?), these are the kind of displays that make you wish for a Davids. An old head to kick them up the backside or share the benefits of their experience.
Stop picking on individuals, yes that was on paper a strong side but a lot have had limited game time recently and are still only youngsters. They didn't function as a team at all.
Patience, now that andros is away, nothing against him per se, there isn't a player in our squad, bar fazio, that I would replace. The potential of this squad is big, but they still need to develop.

To be fair to

To be fair to the lad he has been out injured and the team is a better unit now than when he was originally in it, but I'm sure he's been made aware that he must be more careful with his passing near our goal, I'm all for inventiveness around the opponents area but there are places where you have to play safe. I certainly do not want to see him leave as I see him as a possible captain.

Why captain?
He could but. But unless you know him and in respect of the rest of the squad, it's impossible for us to say.

Some of his decision making had nothing to do with who was in goal or who the CB partnership was or the bowel movements of his midfield partner (I'll go get my coat). Being sloppy is his fault alone and I would expect a player of his experience and caliber to be a little more tidy, at the very least.

Inexperienced and yet to do it for more than one season.

I think he has ability, but he needs to start defining what kind of player he is and how he positively impacts games. At present all I see is someone coasting on the pitch and being sloppy.

He and Carroll are in similar situations, except Carroll is proving his worth and, whilst still making errors, is clearly reducing the errors, or at least the impact of the errors.

Why captain?
He could but. But unless you know him and in respect of the rest of the squad, it's impossible for us to say.

Of course it's impossible to say and I don't know him, but I've seen him since he was a kid and he has had an authority in his play and showed leadership in the youth set up. It just something I feel as much as I feel a goal keeper or striker shouldn't be a captain, which is something Poch doesn't agree with, its a personal opinion based on what I've seen over 60 years of playing and watching football.

he wasn't great but he needs games. Even the mistakes, perhaps its good he gets caned for it a little because its all about learning and moving on. The guy just needs to play football, like anyone else. He'll improve.

but he does have a hell of a job to get back in the side.

They are to far away from the defence, where leadership and communication are important and they need to focus on what they are in the team to do, SCORE GOALS. I know people can list a few captains of successful teams but the majority are defenders or midfield players.
You just contradicted this above.
The role of a captain is not to dictate the whole team, its much more about the dressing room and down time in games.
Leadership for general play should be present from numerous players across the pitch

You just contradicted this above.
The role of a captain is not to dictate the whole team, its much more about the dressing room and down time in games.
Leadership for general play should be present from numerous players across the pitch
Sorry your right.I'll keep my opinions to myself

If Nabil's off-key performances are based on attitude problems, it shows the risks of basing large parts of the team on young precocious talent AND then bigging them up to say they are 'destined for Real/Barac' etc

Luckily, if it's an attitude isse, we have both the manager and squad to mitigate against it effecting us too much...i still think we need a Dier back-up as Nabil, Mason, Carrol and Alli will excell in the team with the security alongside them. Perhaps even Dembele, though he would most likely have the attributes atm to deputise.

Interesting side question: does our academy mainly focus on producing midfield tempo-setters instead of those who would be more like Dier, Schneiderlin, Wanyama etc?

I thought he was poor yesterday and to be honest I still believe he was over hyped last season, however he is still a kid and could learn but ( imo) he has a long way to go to get back in the team as a starter.

We are British d'ont you know ( what what, top show). etc,etc.

I know but Poch's approach to the captaincy (giving it to the most senior player in the team) seems more common in world football than the British approach of giving to the hardest or most noisy player (or in the case of England, who the sponsors want).

I
I know but Poch's approach to the captaincy (giving it to the most senior player in the team) seems more common in world football than the British approach of giving to the hardest or most noisy player (or in the case of England, who the sponsors want).

I do not disagree really, its just that I think a keeper is to far away from most of the play and you could say the same about a striker as well. For me a captain needs to be in the middle of everything ( M/F or at least CB) but I suppose some would say its not enlightened to think that way anymore. ;)

Back